• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing dixon, ya got me thinking.....

hero's machine

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2011
E. WA
I was goofing around with a few ways to indicate the bore in and based on chads spud rod doo-dad I thought I might try a couple out of the box idears. You can see by my marvelous photos why I don't post pics.

IMAG0181.jpg

This is an attachment I made to fit in a starrett wiggler holder. It is just some drill rod with chrome balls soldered on. The plumb keeps it riding on the bottom of the bore. The barrel is in the 3jaw just for display reasons, and would be indicated in your favorite manner. I also hit the jackpot and scored a .00005" indicator for a whopping $80 locally.

IMAG0182.jpg

Re: dixon, ya got me thinking.....

How did you ensure the balls are aligned perfectly on the ends on the drill rod?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you ensure the balls are aligned perfectly on the ends on the drill rod? </div></div>

it shouldn't matter. the rod is not turning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you ensure the balls are aligned perfectly on the ends on the drill rod? </div></div>

I didn't. Since they are only riding on the bottom of the bore and not rotating, I can't see why it would matter.

If I am following what you are doing here...doesn't the chrome ball/smaller OD drill rod just make a "precision" CV joint? And if the plumb was making it ride the bottom of the bore-especially?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OinCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I am following what you are doing here...doesn't the chrome ball/smaller OD drill rod just make a "precision" CV joint? And if the plumb was making it ride the bottom of the bore-especially? </div></div>

Pretty much. I was not having much luck getting a long contact point for my indicator, so I started thinking outside the box. It has yet to get compared against a indicator only and a gauge pin.

You could tie the rod into a bow and it still wouldn't matter with this process. The only thing rotating is the barrel and spindle. All the setup tooling is static. What your indicating is movement, not rotation.

Good man! Glad its working for you. Bore the chamber once your set up and let the chips fly. Once you do this a dozen times or so you'll likely toss out all your "witch rods" and other trinkits.

Keep the Ouija board though!
smile.gif

Good luck,

C.

I am on the hunt for a 1/8" carbide ball 3" and 4" contact points for a b&s 7033-5 if anyone has a lead or stash.