• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos DIY Bolt Knob

Re: DIY Bolt Knob

Dang that is nice, you might have a winner there. I still have the case from my daughters first antelope harvest and that would be a perfect trophy, also I have read threads where folks want to do something with the cases from military funerals (rifle salute).

Thanks everyone!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks nice, great idea but is that a live primer? How safe is that?
</div></div>

I soaked the primer in oil so it should be inert.

Here's a bigger image.

url]

I have the 7mmSTW case from my biggest Whitetail. I'd be in for one unless they will all be based off of 308. In that case I have one from my first real trophy in 7mm08 also.

Using a spent case and primer would be the way to go if you start making these for the Hide. Especially if the case is from a kill or has sentimental value like mentioned above.

Sweeeet... I think you just started something you just cant stop. Group buy? Very nice.

I don't know if he wants to or can deal with a group buy but if he did I'm sure you could set the brass in the knob yourself. That would save him a huge headache of keeping track of peoples brass and the shipping/losing of your special piece of history.

If you got a group buy together, and are concerned about shipping live primers ,pop the cages out of the primary and pull out the explosive compound.
Good job by the way, looks great!

I'd advise anyone doing this to burn your primers first (place a bunch of them in a steel mesh box and gently heat the mesh from below with a blow torch, they should all go 'crack' in no time, without any damage whatsoever) I've done this a million times to make safe 'prop' rounds to use on film sets, works a treat and negates to need to have actors loading inert rounds with dented primers on camera.. looks lame as!

AND WEAR SAFETY SPECS! B)

If you have the facilities, you may have yourself a product. If not, perhaps look around and find a machinist who could make them in quantity. A few extra bucks income for the home can't be bad. Having just built a house I noticed hundreds knobs of every style and size, but none like this. Get a production cost and try a few locally then, if all goes well, speak with some of the big catalog people (Cabela's, sportsman's guide, Bass Pro Shop?). You may have found your calling. On a flashlight forum I visit there a several people who built lights as a hobby that turned into a pretty big business. Perhaps even a product line. I think some of those folks had contacts in China who did the bulk manufacturing. Just a thought.

Good Luck.

I'll buy one and I know a couple others that will too. PM me with a price. Can you modify existing knobs?