• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY hand brass trimmer to power

408w

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Western ny
What have you guys come up with to turn a standard brass trimmer into a power trimmer? I would like some ideas before I get started.

Reactions: Bull Arms
Following this as well...

I know people before have used cordless screwdrivers, someone I knew used to servo from an old RC plane.

I have the hand crank one with a handle, anyone taken that off and attached a drill. That's a very reasonably priced trimmer that I would feel bad about hacking

^^^
I have an old RCBS hand trimmer that I use with my cordless drill. Works great.
Way faster than hand cranking.

20200630_221234.jpg

Get a Trim It II drill head and mount it and drive however you see fit.

Best thing I ever did.

I also recommend "running" the bearings in.....if you can. They are a little stiff when new. Nothing a little lathe "run in" can't fix though.

Ern

FB_IMG_1594989247414.jpg

Put some rubber feet on the bottom of the cutting board. Super secure and easy to use. The cutting board catches the large majority of the shavings. Which I can then sweep into the trough on the edges.

21st Century version.

I could not find a trimmer chamber for 6.5G, so I bought one of these too.

This is beyond a revolution, it's a complete evolution in case trimming.

Prior, I simply skipped the trimming and retired my brass early because the other methods totally turned me off.

Greg

I have the adapter for my lyman universal.

Also made a stand for my Giraud/Harbor Freight combo at work earlier this week:

Attachments

• 15966807611744732372852254236254.jpg
    15966807611744732372852254236254.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: cobus13
I like it much better with the drill mounted vertical

Attachments

• 20200909_141457.jpg
    20200909_141457.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 56
View attachment 7376449

Put some rubber feet on the bottom of the cutting board. Super secure and easy to use. The cutting board catches the large majority of the shavings. Which I can then sweep into the trough on the edges.

That's pretty much how my Lyman is set up. I didn't buy the "conversion" but knocked the handle off mine and turned the shaft down to fit the drill. I will say I pretty much ruined it for short cases but it's not very often I'm trimming down pistol brass. I've got a tri way on order and need to make the coupler so I can connect it to my motor and bench mount it.

I guess I'm the only person running a garage corded Bosch drill. I bought some linear slides but haven't got around to building a cradle to run on them that holds the drill yet.