• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Home Security System recommendations

jd65

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2014
Texas
Looking for recommendations and ideas for a reliable DIY security system. I'm not opposed to hiring a company that installs but would like to see what DIY options are out there.

Can't have a dog in the house and firearms are in place. Looking for something when no one is home or its just the kids by themselves.

Last edited:
I have had several people leave their door unlocked so I could get in for an HVAC repair. They armed their security system and when I entered it was set off. A couple times the phone rang and I answered and told them that I was there for a repair. After hanging up there was no response from police or the homeowner. A couple times the system shut off by itself after a few minutes. Actually one shut off while I was dialing the homeowner. Only once have I had a police response.

Dogs work. Too bad that's not an option for you.

Reactions: Ravenworks
To remotely alert you away from home, or just in home warning? Can you have other animals in the yard, as there are much, much, better live alerts than dogs that cant be dealt with as easily as dogs.

I am open to all ideas. I do not have a home phone so something that alerts to the cell phone should work fine. An alarm that sounds inside the house if a window is broke or door opened would be a plus. I have a somewhat new neighbor that I do not trust so that's where the want/need for this is coming from.

I've recently installed a couple of the Ring brand devices, and have about 90% coverage of my house. These alert me anytime someone/something is on my property. While that can be annoying occasionally (fox, coyote, turkey, deer, etc.) you can also set it up so it only alerts you to people. The software is honestly really impressive, though like anything, there's room for small improvements.

I have dogs too, so I'm not concerned if someone tries to break in after I alert them cops are on the way through the Ring system. EMS will need to come patch them up if they survive the dogs...

I also have some cheap interior webcams that have motion alerts to my phone if enabled (can also save the images/video, and even email you said files). If you're paying attention to your phone, you can call dispatch, but usually thieves are in and out well before the typical response time.

Google brings up the SimpliSafe system. Any input on that system?

I use the Ring alarm system and cameras on my home. The monitoring service with camera software is $100 per year when prepaid. The system is monitored so they will call you first then the cops, there is also a very good app for everything. The basic system is about $240, I have probably $700 in mine with cameras and extra sensors, but it’s worth it to me. Everything self installed in a couple hours, including two cameras. Costco and other places sell the stuff too.

i had Simplisafe previously, I like the Ring product much better and the annual fee is about $80 less. After about 3 years with Simplisafe they identified a security issue and changed all their equipment to tighten it up, none of the old tech except their crappy cameras was compatible with the new hardware. No credit or discount was offered to their existing customers for new hardware, that is when I switched.

I’ve heard mostly good things about these Wyze cameras, except that they route everything through China so you may be monitored somehow, and now they have some basic sensors you can add on. Cheap and supposedly effective, but not monitored.

Attachments

• F27BFC5A-1DB0-4675-A725-EF68701D7667.png
    F27BFC5A-1DB0-4675-A725-EF68701D7667.png
    714 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I installed mine start to finish, and then had the alarm monitoring company attach it to their system.

I've since tried to get them to put a new one in the house, having me pay them upfront and give me all of the codes... and they refuse to do that. Seems they don't like the idea of you having total control of your own system.

I've been very happy with my lorex system and I can only imagine I'd be even more pleased with it if I had internet available to that particular location. Very easy to use and set up.

I have used SimpliSafe in 2 houses and it works well. I would recommend it. They usually have big sales for the major holidays, so if you can wait I would recommend it as you will be getting everything for about 50% off

I just ordered a lorex system a couple days ago. It was 15% off with free shipping and no sales tax. I went with the 8 cameras that are 4k and all wired. 2 terabyte DVR.

Thanks for the comments. I will be looking into these options mentioned above. With the wireless cameras and sensors, how long do the batteries last?

I don't like anyone having my pitchers in their cloud.

Security cameras are likely another buy once cry once item. Buy the best in whatever vendors lineup, or you may wish you had later. Even then there is typically room for improvement in software and false alerting.

Two Jack Russel Terriers.

A mouse farts down the street, and they're singing harmony.

Greg

That’s no joke! My in-laws have JRTs and it’s like the little guys are in tune with the force. They sure do carry on too when they pick up on something.

Some things to consider:
Wireless or Wired? The former is a 'huge selling point because it's so easy', whereas the latter is a VALID ownership point because it's so "unhackable".
Cloud or DVR? The former is a 'huge selling point because it's so easy', whereas the latter is a VALID ownership point because it's so "unhackable".

Are you seeing a trend, here?

Lastly, wire and install your DVR in a 'separate' and 'inaccessible' location. IF they get in, and IF they take that too, then all is for naught.

Security/ Fire Alarm is how I make a living. Simply Safe's new stuff is good and your not going to get no-contract monitoring anywhere else for $15 a month ( you did not hear that from me they are our competition). Alarm.com is what we install very similar to Simply Safe. Both can have cameras, or you could go with one of the Ring-type systems. The problem with simply safe and other do it yourself systems is when you do have a problem, it's going to be you fixing it while on the phone with tech support. No big deal if it's just a motion or a door switch, but if you have fire and co detectors it can get technical.
Any security company worth its salt will not make you sign more than a year contract and should give you full access to the system. We do.
75% of our customers never arm their systems. They only work if you arm them except for the fire/flood detection it works all the time.
If you are more concerned about being alerted while you are home door sensors and glass breaks are the way to go. If it's more about being protected while away motion detectors are the most important. Be sure to put a sensor on the garage door, anyone with a pry bar and a jack can get in in seconds.

Question about poe systems. If I have my cameras wired to the nvr, can I use a network extender to get the system connected to my router?

hard not to like a wireless home security system that can be hacked in minutes and your cams used aginst you by wackos and pervs who have nothing better to do but watch your family through the system you paid for to keep them safe . Id stick with the dogs and a lot of ammo . besides why pay for a home security system when everyone is told to stay at home now a days . maybe when this virus blows over but till them a camera is not going to keep you , your family , or your stuff safe and though loud an alarm just means the crooks have 45 min to run before the cops arrive it might as well be a cooking timer and those are only a dollar at the dollar store .

• Haha
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I bought this alarm system with PIR detectors, wireless siren, door window sensors.
and bought an extra camera, it works well with this system.
Very reliable:cool:

Attachments

• alarm system.jpg
    alarm system.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 70
The 4g deer cams are freaking awesome for this... especially in rural settings...long driveways....it'll notify your phone when tripped, and photos can be reviewed...you can designate several phone numbers too, so others can review. Also, it's stored on the actual SD card inside the device. And, these types of cameras are often paired with solar charging panels.....goes for years...runs on lithium Batts for months without sun.
This approach is more suitable for rural drives, but I have a few friends that are using them in the burbs too. Easily concealed. Adjustable motion sensor sensitivity. Cloud + SD stored. It's not live feed to your phone, but the event is sent to you quite fast...3minutes...so, if you had an alternative live feed at the house, you could open that, and watch the show.....also, an ingenious app called ITTT...if this then that...can help you designate a trigger for what I described....the first cam sends you a notification that it was tripped...ITTT app trips because you designated the notification as the trigger....the secondary mechanism is designated to open the live feed camera at your house on your phone.....ask me how I know this shit works.

Google brings up the SimpliSafe system. Any input on that system?

I have it with the monitoring. I am a big fan. I have multiple cameras and sensors on every door and window.

My significant other has set it off a couple of times and the response is quick. A call with a policy response.

I have had several people leave their door unlocked so I could get in for an HVAC repair. They armed their security system and when I entered it was set off. A couple times the phone rang and I answered and told them that I was there for a repair. After hanging up there was no response from police or the homeowner. A couple times the system shut off by itself after a few minutes. Actually one shut off while I was dialing the homeowner. Only once have I had a police response.

They called the homeowner, relayed what you said, he cancelled the alarm. Since nobody was there to disarm it, and the customer didn't know how to fully operate his system, ie programming you a one time code, it had to blare until it reached the programmed time to stop. Usually five minutes.

Installing yourself.... Alarm installation is sort of an art and a trade. You CAN do it, if you're handy and clever. You will need some special tools though, a 3' drill and a 6' drill (NOT the solid shit, the ones with a bit welded on a rod) both 3/8" and preferably a few 6' glow rods (cheap ones are okay since you're only using 'em once). A t25 wire stapler and a painter's extension pole with a coat hanger hook taped to the end and a good flashlight and you're in business bud.

If you can install 110 safely and it look good, then you can probably install an alarm.

Programming is pretty straight forward on most of 'em. DSC programming is by far the easiest IMO/E. A DSC 5010 or Power 832 (or whatever supersedes that now) is what you want. Very flexible, upgradeable, etc. However, most professional security gear is only sold to security companies. You can't walk off the street and go into ADI and just buy an alarm.

I'd run an ad in CL and find a local installer that has some gear and may be willing to help you install it under the table. Most of those guys are willing to work hard, enjoy what they do, and love under the table work. LOVE IT. If you're in N. AL you can PM me and I can put you in touch a guy that runs a company, used to be one of my employees. Good guy.

I can also help you with questions if you decide to DIY it and need some answers. Just PM me.

Your biggest issue will be drilling in the right spot, not going through the roof or out the wall, not hitting electrical wires. Especially with the 6 footer. In a way, you need to have xray vision or just have a damn strong idea of what's behind that wall. Even pros fuck up though, I've done it and every tech I knew has done it too. Just be careful. You can drill next to 110, just be careful you don't drill THROUGH 110. You should feel it in the bit.

I can tell you how to get monitoring CHEAP and with no contract too.

I can also tell you right now that any alarm you have access to buy in a store right now is junk. Pure junk. You need something like DSC, DMP, Ademco, etc., but steer clear of Bosch or Radionics unless you go with a reputable company (and then you're gonna pay). Radionics gear is no shit 50 years old (I installed a panel made in 1974 some years back) but they're impossible to defeat, hence why they still use (and reuse) the gear. You cannot access programming on one without a special, SN'd programmer and there are only a few out there.

I'd say DMP is the closest thing to Radionics without the hassle of Radionics. They also have some VERY slick gear, like clear holographic keypads that double as a picture frame! The picture frame becomes the keypad when you touch it, it lights up almost like magic. $600 though vs. $50 for a regular one.

Wireless is an option, but IMO it's still weak. A hybrid system is okay where you use wireless and hardwire and only use the wireless for hard to reach or non important or redundant contacts. Like contacting windows (which are already covered with PIR) or contacting that shed door in the back yard. Or rigging up a proximity switch so you know when someone comes down the drive or walks by a certain area.

Good luck!

PS, if you call a company, call one that does local monitoring and UL systems and has their own radio network. They generally do the best job. In NW WA that'd be WA Alarm. Demand a tech with the most certifications.

To remotely alert you away from home, or just in home warning? Can you have other animals in the yard, as there are much, much, better live alerts than dogs that cant be dealt with as easily as dogs.
Parrots for one will let you know if someone comes around that isn't known.

Reactions: acudaowner
the best home security implement I have ever seen had a neighbor that owned two peacocks those things would weak the dead sounds like a woman screaming bloody murder its incredible how loud and vocal they are other wise they are just neat to see preached on his garage or a fence or walking around his yard . make better watch dogs than well dogs .

Not trying to hijack but along these same lines, I've been looking at camera systems. If I can ever get wifi at my house, I'm going to get a system.

I want one that will alert me that someone is here. (I Can't see my driveway from most of my house) my plan is that the cameras alerting me will act as an alarm.

Does anyone know or recommend a good brand? A friend has a 1080p system that's junk. It's so bad, you can't make out faces at 10-15 feet from the camera. Color night vision also has my attention.

Any recommendations on how far I can make out a license plate with 4K cameras? I called one company and asked. They kept thinking I was asking about a camera that will read the license plate.

ive got to do somethink also...
had anouther mother fucker in the yard again last night... twice in a week
its one of you mother fuckers fuckin w me, aint it.

Reactions: Slash0311
It was me. Dude, you really need to close your blinds if you're going to do that stuff with LL's book, ping pong balls, and that much lotion... but the naked midget you were face timing didn't seem to mind.

• Haha
Reactions: oneshot86
These are the best, followed by These then a trained dog bringing up the rear.

i had some guinea hens, HAD. those damn things about ran me stir crazy. they work thats for sure, but damn, almost to good.
and 3 white geese, those things didnt like anything and showed it, had to get rid of those evil mothers, attacked everyone but me

DAMNIT!!! You mean I missed that!?!

I thought you told the midget that was tonight?

Leave it to the Hide to take a perfectly good, informative thread, and bring midgets and bizarro stuff into it...

We have Simplisafe(with monitoring) and are happy with it. Also have a killer instinct 10 pound Malti-poo that works great:)

Not trying to hijack but along these same lines, I've been looking at camera systems. If I can ever get wifi at my house, I'm going to get a system.

I want one that will alert me that someone is here. (I Can't see my driveway from most of my house) my plan is that the cameras alerting me will act as an alarm.

Does anyone know or recommend a good brand? A friend has a 1080p system that's junk. It's so bad, you can't make out faces at 10-15 feet from the camera. Color night vision also has my attention.

Any recommendations on how far I can make out a license plate with 4K cameras? I called one company and asked. They kept thinking I was asking about a camera that will read the license plate.

Regarding that "1080p" system.... we have learned the hard way, that even though it may be a '1080p' system, it also depends on both it's settings (internally) AND the cameras that are connected to it.

We were TOLD by the seller that it was 1080p, and considering that we came from nothing to a camera system, we were happy to have one. But due to a number of different 'experiences' since then, and the attempted addition of more '1080p' cameras that wouldn't work at all.... we come to find that our cameras are a mix of 720p and 940p.

There's a specific setting for "all 720p", then one for "50/50 940p and 720p" and then "all 1080p".

We're in the process of learning more, and it is an interesting educational venture, for sure. The point I'm trying to make here, is that there really is so much more involved than just "plug n play". The "connect" that we had when we got this system definitely turned out over time, to not be such a great 'connect' information-wise.

Learn vicariously.

In the end, we still DO have a 16 channel dvr, and it is a LOT more security in that manner, than what we had previous. And there is also room for improvement and expansion. (has to be an upside, right?) I only wish we were told all this in the beginning, because then SO much would have been explained/understood. -such as, whenever trying to add another 1080p camera only to find out it don't work. At all. No matter what we tried.

Reactions: Slash0311

Arlo is a camera system I use. Its wireless. Storage of video is off site so even if they see the cameras its too late. You can monitor and check on things from your phone and you get updates when cameras are tripped. Quick to set up.

The 4g deer cams are freaking awesome for this... especially in rural settings...long driveways....it'll notify your phone when tripped, and photos can be reviewed...you can designate several phone numbers too, so others can review. Also, it's stored on the actual SD card inside the device. And, these types of cameras are often paired with solar charging panels.....goes for years...runs on lithium Batts for months without sun.
This approach is more suitable for rural drives, but I have a few friends that are using them in the burbs too. Easily concealed. Adjustable motion sensor sensitivity. Cloud + SD stored. It's not live feed to your phone, but the event is sent to you quite fast...3minutes...so, if you had an alternative live feed at the house, you could open that, and watch the show.....also, an ingenious app called ITTT...if this then that...can help you designate a trigger for what I described....the first cam sends you a notification that it was tripped...ITTT app trips because you designated the notification as the trigger....the secondary mechanism is designated to open the live feed camera at your house on your phone.....ask me how I know this shit works.
Any particular brand? I have some property that I'm trying to monitor mainly to keep relatives off of, but other people as well. I don't need insta-trip on my phone but do need to be alerted because I want to have enough evidence to file charges of trespass since there is a sign on the fence every 15-20 yards. No way to not see it. Thanks

Arlo is a camera system I use. Its wireless. Storage of video is off site so even if they see the cameras its too late. You can monitor and check on things from your phone and you get updates when cameras are tripped. Quick to set up.
I use this mainly because I needed something quick and dirty at my recently (at the time) deceased father. It works, and I've got 5 of them; but at times notification is SLOW and I'm not sure the detail is there for identifying folks unless they are within about 15 feet. I'm sure the new 4K is better though. Part of the issue is Verizon in my area and Concast; but when you silence alerts (say from 22:00-06:00 on iPhone (and I assume Android) the alerts from Arlo get silenced too. I haven't figured out if there is a work-around for that.

It'd have been nice to get the two adorable lab puppies at my door one night who were trying to get in at 01:00 ;).

I have about a dozen cameras, some purposely visible and some not. Any driver that drops off packages knows that they are "on tape", so the clock is ticking. As important, I have Eastern Insurance which covers theft/fire when I take 25K worth of rifles/optics/etc on out of state hunts. Eastern starts at about $150/yr for 50K. I also have a hot looking female mannequin head in the barn looking out, she's like the Uncle Sam poster.

I have had simplisafe for a couple of years. For the most part, I am happy. It is important to note, while the security system itself (base station, entry sensors, etc.) have a backup cellular connection if you power is cut and therefor your internet goes out as well, your cameras will not work. They require wifi. They weren't clear about that up front, but it is no issue for me. We also use their smoke detectors. We have had a couple of false alarms so with that said, it is important to clean them out with canned air once a month. I also have hardwired smoke detectors in the house, but I like having the smoke detectors hooked up to our security so I get notified if we have a fire, due to having our dogs at home all day while we work. They just came out with CO detectors as well, so I will be getting those this year too. I test my alarms monthly, and I am satisfied with the monitoring team. They do call immediately in the event of an alarm, and they require a code word to cancel the alarm. The alarms do not shut down after a few minutes either. I have had alarms going off for hours before when I am away from home. That was before I learned how to shut them off via the app.

Let me know via pm if you have any questions about simplisafe. It is very affordable and I have been happy with it. My wife got me a package deal around black friday one year so they do have really good deals around the holiday. Is it the best system in the world, of course not and it is nowhere near the cost of the best either, but I don't routinely have professional thieves trying to get into my modest rural home. We also take other security measures. Security is best in layers, and if someone bypasses one of my systems, I have a few more also running at the moment. I know when someone pulls into my driveway, well before they are even close to my house. My house is not impenetrable, but it is not a soft target either, and I think that is the best thing.

I also have a Simplisafe system, and very happy with it. Simple install\, response is good, my wife has set it off a couple of times.

Alarm.com

I did a DIY installation using iSmartAlarm. It lacks a little support and updates, but for what I was looking for, it really fit the bill. I strictly use it for door sensor monitoring. I wanted something to let me know when doors were opened, provide a history, alert me to open contact sensors, and not use a monitored service. Granted, the cavalry won't come running when a breech occurs, but I'll know when something occurs when I'm at home and have a history of activity when I'm gone. Works well with my iPhone, the sirens are a bit weak, but I just leverage multiple ones that cover the entire house. The camera options with the system leave a bit to be desired as well, so I plan on using a separate system all together for those. I also use the MyQ stuff for garage door monitoring and remote operation. There are better systems out there, but my set up works well for letting me know something is going on when I'm home and allows me the situational awareness to respond, as well as provides a history of what occurs when I'm away. At the end of the day, I've got insurance for any loss that might not be deterred when I am away, and early notification/awareness for any issue while I am home.

The ultimate supplemental layout would be to have a drone automatically launch(weather conditions set) when perimeters are tripped. It would launch vertical, go live feed (and sd) ,notify, override and open phone app....run the property perimeter from the previous data settings, and return to home base. It would send SD data to app if unable during live feed. It would also communicate with my other mentioned perimeter apps...Weather condition settings are the only Crux for me....she can't fly in hurricanes, or torrential rains, so...how to work that in? Otherwise, I'd be set already.

Dont forget bright motion activated lights around the house. Scares them off before they even get to something with an alarm. Its all about layers.

I use Blue Iris. It will require a desktop computer and an internet connection. It works across many brands of cameras both wired and wireless. It will send you a picture every time a camera is triggered. If it is of interest, you can log into the portal and watch a video of the triggering event.

Yep, stayed in a vacation rental. The security system got armed. It went off, I called the number on the panel. They tried to get ahold of the owner, eventually it quit going off, but was still armed. It took me several attempts but I finally discovered the four digit code, people aren't very sneaky. Cops never showed up. Neighbors were probably pissed at the beeping. I decided security systems are just like car alarms, nobody hears one and thinks a car is being stolen.