• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing DIY(ish) Mule Deer hunt

bujayman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
Hey fellas, I’m looking for someone with first hand experience with a Colorado or Montana mule deer outfitter. I’m not looking for a guided hunt, I’m looking for an outfitter that will help my group get into the backcountry where we can hunt without a lot of pressure from other hunters. A set up camp is a plus but not required. Hopefully this outfitter would be able to offer some advice on the area as well.

I have done a lot of research online but there are so many outfitters out there I can’t really tell them apart based on what I’m reading online. I’m hoping someone here may have some first hand experience they can recommend.

While not a novice hunter, I am a novice hunter in these two states.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Being in the "backcountry" isn't really a guarantee to be isolated any more. With the advent of OnX, Go Hunt, and all the other innerweb hunting "gurus" a lot of the places I used to hunt on public land have been basically wrecked with the increased hunting pressure. Most outfitters probably share the same frustration, I have seen my fair share of their traditional wall tent camps gradually disappear from most of the areas I used to hunt back in the day.

Colorado has some really big bucks, but most are in limited draw areas. Montana has probably one of the most mismanaged mule deer herds in the West in my opinion. You can google fu all sorts of self guided drop camp hunts in both states and probably both will yield the same type of experience. Also, it depends on what your expectations are for your hunt. If you are just looking for an adventure with awesome scenery, both states have a couple of wilderness areas that will provide plenty of both. If you are looking to harvest an animal, especially a mature animal, I would say Colorado would be your best bet.

Do not have any personal experience with using a guide my only advice would be to still do your due diligence even when you find your outfitter. Had some buddies do a drop camp last year for elk, guy took them on an all day horseback ride dropped them off and the next morning they had orange dots popping over the ridge in front of them. They rode in close to 10mi but there was access from the opposite direction about 2.5mi from their camp lol.

• Wow
Reactions: coldboremiracle
Honestly my buddies hunt the high country and some other people i know and people are every where in colorado. One guy rode in 6 miles and had some one camp 30 yards from him. My other friend seen 50 people one day above timberline and none were hunters if i remeber right and at 12 midnight had people at his tent talking. What units are you looking for in colorado? All my spots that no one hunted get hunted hard since onxmaps.

Honestly my buddies hunt the high country and some other people i know and people are every where in colorado. One guy rode in 6 miles and had some one camp 30 yards from him. My other friend seen 50 people one day above timberline and none were hunters if i remeber right and at 12 midnight had people at his tent talking. What units are you looking for in colorado? All my spots that no one hunted get hunted hard since onxmaps.

I don’t have enough experience to know specific units to look at. I’m still trying to do my research and pinpoint a few locations I want to target.
But your points are very valid. I guess I was just hoping that if I found an outfitter or got a recommendation I could give myself the best chance.

Being in the "backcountry" isn't really a guarantee to be isolated any more. With the advent of OnX, Go Hunt, and all the other innerweb hunting "gurus" a lot of the places I used to hunt on public land have been basically wrecked with the increased hunting pressure. Most outfitters probably share the same frustration, I have seen my fair share of their traditional wall tent camps gradually disappear from most of the areas I used to hunt back in the day.

Colorado has some really big bucks, but most are in limited draw areas. Montana has probably one of the most mismanaged mule deer herds in the West in my opinion. You can google fu all sorts of self guided drop camp hunts in both states and probably both will yield the same type of experience. Also, it depends on what your expectations are for your hunt. If you are just looking for an adventure with awesome scenery, both states have a couple of wilderness areas that will provide plenty of both. If you are looking to harvest an animal, especially a mature animal, I would say Colorado would be your best bet.

I want good scenery and opportunity. I won’t be mad if I don’t kill a trophy, but I certainly wouldn’t be happy to get out there and not even get a chance at a harvest.

Best chance for harvest opportunity = private lands with professionally managed wildlife which = $$$

You can do self guided backcountry and have a wonderful experience but I would adjust your expectations for harvest opportunity and "being all alone in the wilderness" unless you get an area that requires a lot of preference points to access.

I'm experienced with this and would like to offer a few considerations:
1. Get in terrific physical condition and backpack into very difficult terrains in wilderness areas.
2. Consider a bush plane drop camp for Alaskan Caribou
3. Archery hunts = less people

Best wishes and good hunting.

Reactions: NovaHunter