• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

DIY Mil-Dot Master

VermontMarksman

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Vermont
Hello all,
My apologies for taking this thread down. What I posted was just the the result of a bored 16 year old, and was all in good nature. However, I understand now that that what I posted may hurt the business of the real Mil-Dot Master and its owners and that was not my intention. To ensure that I do not hurt the sales of a family owned business, I removed my pictures and instructions. I am in full support of the Mil-Dot Master and do not want to send the wrong message.

Thank you,
Ethan

Re: DIY Mil-Dot Master

Thanks for the positive feedback. And strangedays, I, in no way, am trying to rip off the company. It's just a neat tool I thought people on the forums would like. If you want a quality product, buy the damn thing.

Outstanding Brother... simply outstanding!!

I for one am glad to have the information. I had an old Mil-Dot Master that was pretty much trashed. I wrote down all the information of what I was using, laminated it, and stuck it in my stock pack. This is a much more usable version of what I already had.

I want to thank you for your hard work to make this happen!!

DK

Yea....you can't beat free....

Especially when you are copying someone else's idea so you don't have to spend $30 that helps put these in the hands of troops who can use them.

http://mildot.com/

I am all for DIY stuff, but when you even copy the name, then post it up so all the other knuckleheads can just print it out and tape it up, that just ain't cool.

celebr1.jpg

I'm with LoneWolfUSMC. I'm a cheap-ass too and I like free as well but to copy a company's product exactly and post it online is no bueno.

My apologies for copying the name/product. I realize Bruce Robinson made an outstanding tool so I should give him credit. I hope people can use this as a reference if they do not have the original. By all means, if you can afford it, buy the real Mil-Dot Master. It is a superior product.

Ethan

I see this as being no different than downloading a movie online while its still at the theaters. You are costing money to the real inventor by posting this online. Its one thing to make one for yourself, but distributing it makes it illegal.

The way I rationalize it is that I want people to learn from what I posted. This is a stretch, but if it means that an LEO/Military Sniper needs one of these, but doesn't have the original and/or can't afford one, I want the info to be out there so lives can be saved. Not only that, but this DIY stuff is good natured. Are all DIY projects rip offs of original ideas? I fully support the original Mil-Dot Master and it's inventor, but math is common knowledge.

Looks like its not an exact replica. If we're throwing stones, then some of us need to look at our signatures as well...I'm just saying.

Dude, math is one thing and making something for your self is one thing, but you're making virtually an exact copy of Bruce Robinson's invention. From what I understand Bruce's wife makes a living from selling her husbands invention.

You're stretching waaayyyy too far sir, any military or leo who's a sniper is going to have a real MDM issued to them or they'll buy their own.

"so lives can be saved" please give me a break.

You can rationalize it any way you want to, it's still plain wrong what you're doing.

it only goes to 875 yards, anyway. I stick to the real ones I have.

I sense some turmoil. If you want to remove it go ahead. My goal wasn't to make Bruce Robinson's wife go out of business. Thank you for those who have enjoyed it.

I think I spent 20-30 on my Mildot master which is well worth compared to the brain damage I'd suffer from printing and laminating that thing. Cool, but not worth the time considering how cheap the real thing is...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vermonter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I googled to see if there were any pictures I could refer to, <span style="font-weight: bold">but only found one in Russian</span>.
</div></div>

...there's your first clue you might not be on the right track

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shut it down, and pull the thread.

My thoughts, FWIW. </div></div>

+1

If you can afford it? How can someone who needs this not afford it? If you have a weapon and mildot scope capable of shooting at something that needs to be ranged and practiced enough to be able to hit it I would guess you have spent a enough that a mildot master would go unnoticed in the budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onedash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can afford it? How can someone who needs this not afford it? If you have a weapon and mildot scope capable of shooting at something that needs to be ranged and practiced enough to be able to hit it I would guess you have spent a enough that a mildot master would go unnoticed in the budget. </div></div>

Thank you for typing that out for me so I didn't have to. Its $30 for the real one. I know every penny counts but c'mon, its a drop in the bucket of this hobby.

I Give you full props on this... Don't worrie about what everyone else is saying they are just mad cause they probably bought one and now they can get something similar for free. Looks like you spent alot of time and effort on this good job.

And guys don't be so stuck up. The kid made somthing he is proud of.. He's not looking to make money and steal from the original mildot master.. He just wants to show off what he made him self.. But like said earlier if you guys want to throw rocks every guy who ever home sprayed your gun is stealing from dipping companies and So eat your own words.. So don't put the kid down like you knew the guy who invented it and your outraged he is makeing his wife bankrupt. $30 for a good $2 of materials and how many have been sold the womens doing just fine of a living. Don't like it don't use it. End of story.

First of all, I wouldnt expect much more out of a noob! Second, unless this guy is russian, he didnt make shit, he ripped off yet another persons work as his own.

mildot_master.gif

THATS REALLY COOL OF YOU BRO, THANK YOU FOR THAT. NEVER SEEN ONE BEFORE. THAT'LL GIVE ME SOMETHIN TO DINK AROUND WITH, PROBABLY GO THROUGH A COUPLE HUNDRED ROUNDS BEFORE I FIGURE IT OUT, JK!

Pull the thread. damn! Mrs. R. don't need this shit. And yeah I know her personally.
JH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vermonter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The way I rationalize it is that I want people to learn from what I posted. This is a stretch, but if it means that an LEO/Military Sniper needs one of these, but doesn't have the original and/or can't afford one, I want the info to be out there so lives can be saved. Not only that, but this DIY stuff is good natured. Are all DIY projects rip offs of original ideas? I fully support the original Mil-Dot Master and it's inventor, but math is common knowledge. </div></div>

I would suspect that any LEO/Military sniper will be able to afford the original mildot master. After all, they would be using your tax dollars.

Don't be cheap. Buy the original.

Anyway, my understanding is that the Guys get so good at the math, they don't need the slide rule, they just do it mentally through the scope. Faster in combat. You can't ask Tommy Taliban to stand still while you get your slide rule out of your ruck, then measure, then slide, then aim......ooops, he's gone!

N

It's fine that you did it for your own use, but it's not right that you posted it for download.

Kinda like CMMG stealing Black Dogs magazines, was it "LEGAL"...probably, was it "RIGHT"?? absolutely NOT!!

It's no different than "borrowing" software, just because "everybody" does it, don't make it right.

So, is it right or wrong?? Live your life on those premises, and you will make the proper decisions in life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I Give you full props on this...
</div></div>

Who exactly are you, to give anything?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't worrie about what everyone else is saying they are just mad cause they probably bought one and now they can get something similar for free.</div></div>

You cannot 'BUY' integrity, but you sure can sell it. It's called "being a sell-out".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Looks like you spent alot of time and effort on this good job.</div></div>

Actually, it don't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And guys don't be so stuck up. The kid made somthing he is proud of.. He's not looking to make money and steal from the original mildot master.. He just wants to show off what he made him self.. </div></div>

I think a better project to work on would be Integrity. Maybe a side of Humility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's not looking to make money and steal from the original mildot master.. </div></div>

Whether you like it/believe it or not, he is...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> He just wants to show off what he made him self.</div></div>

Stick to making ash-trays out of Popsicle sticks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But like said earlier if you guys want to throw rocks every guy who ever home sprayed your gun is stealing from dipping companies and So eat your own words.. </div></div>

Bad analogy. The dipping companies started, because of all the owners painting. They saw that, and thought "hey, I could do this better, and charge for my service". That is free enterprise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So don't put the kid down like you knew the guy who invented it and your outraged he is makeing his wife bankrupt.</div></div>

Actually, I had spoken with Bruce a few times, at a "minor" level. But I know of MANY here who both knew him and respected him greatly. There are some members here who'd go as far as to call the Robinson's "Family". It pays to know exactly where you're pissing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> $30 for a good $2 of materials and how many have been sold the womens doing just fine of a living. Don't like it don't use it. End of story. </div></div>

I'm not even going to comment on that adolescent drivel. There are some here who may, but I doubt it. Simply, you wouldn't be able to appreciate the difference.

And THAT is the difference between "Good" and "Good Enough". Good luck with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First of all, I wouldnt expect much more out of a noob! Second, unless this guy is russian, he didnt make shit, he ripped off yet another persons work as his own.

mildot_master.gif
</div></div>

it looks like it is calibrated for 7.62X54R - look at the top of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I Give you full props on this... Don't worrie about what everyone else is saying they are just mad cause they probably bought one and now they can get something similar for free. Looks like you spent alot of time and effort on this good job.

And guys don't be so stuck up. The kid made somthing he is proud of.. He's not looking to make money and steal from the original mildot master.. He just wants to show off what he made him self.. But like said earlier if you guys want to throw rocks every guy who ever home sprayed your gun is stealing from dipping companies and So eat your own words.. So don't put the kid down like you knew the guy who invented it and your outraged he is makeing his wife bankrupt. $30 for a good $2 of materials and how many have been sold the womens doing just fine of a living. Don't like it don't use it. End of story. </div></div>
You have 45 posts and telling everyone here that you know more. This is a pirated copy of the mil-dot master and is not only illegal it’s morally wrong. And for everyone who said this wouldn’t hurt the originals profits at all is just a plain and sad excuse to try to clear your conscience of the bull shit you just fed it. If this does lead to a court case I am glad everyone who fully admits to pirating this will be able to be a part of that great system to, much less a max of $250,000 fine, but I am glad you saved your $30 bucks.

http://mildot.com/
I like supporting those in the industry that do good....
If you google mil dot ruler, this thread is first up.... Which would actually hurt their business.

I am not saying you have done a bad thing on purpose, but for protection of certain people, it would be kind of you to take this down. By no means do you have too. Just would be cool!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This is a pirated copy of the mil-dot master and is not only illegal it’s morally wrong. And for everyone who said this wouldn’t hurt the originals profits at all is just a plain and sad excuse to try to clear your conscience of the bull shit you just fed it. </div></div>

My thoughts exactly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vermonter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The way I rationalize it is that I want people to learn from what I posted.</div></div>

Who is going to learn what? Other than how to copy a copy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vermonter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a stretch, but if it means that an LEO/Military Sniper needs one of these, but doesn't have the original and/or can't afford one, I want the info to be out there so lives can be saved.</div></div>

You aren't real savvy on the way this works. If a LEO needs one and doesn't have one, it's because he was too cheap to pass on a night out or a couple dinners and buy one. Shame on him. If he's a deployed military sniper then there are more than a couple ways to get one free. Hell, if any deployed military sniper reads this, contact me and I will make sure you get one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vermonter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are all DIY projects rip offs of original ideas?</div></div>

Nope. In fact the vast majority of novel products we use in this endeavor started as a DIY project for the inventor. The ORIGINAL Mildot Master started that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vermonter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I fully support the original Mil-Dot Master and it's inventor, but math is common knowledge. </div></div>

Not only are you NOT supporting it, but you are taking away from it. Supporting it would have been coughing up the $30 to buy one.

It does show a lot of balls to edit your first post and admit your fault. THAT is integrity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I Give you full props on this... </div></div>

STFU.

I don't usually quote movies, but as I read your post a really good one came to mind:

"Your moral compass is so fucked up, I would be shocked if you were able to find your way back to the parking lot."

I am sure you know what movie it came from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm kinda not up to date on movies - but I like the quote. What movie did it come from?
</div></div>

Shooter...

Ah, thanks. I saw that - and I still have not received my 0317 MOS certificate from the Marine Corps for having watched it. But I'm old, and I've slept since then.
laugh.gif

Some of my misspent youth was in the now defunct USSR. The image of the Russian knock-off is interesting. The title (in red, top right) is a phonetic transliteration of the English 'Mil-Dot Master'. LOL As Capn KA pointed out a 7,62 Russian cartridge reference is there, but I don't know why.**see edit** There isn't a bullet drop table (on the front at least) and angles don't care anything at all what the ranging is used for.

Regarding the temptest in this thread, I would have been slightly more understanding of a post that detailed how logarithms are used to generate the MDM output. But simply duplicating an item whose patent hasn't even expired? There's a fine career available in China, Russia or similar for people who do that.

[edit note] I was mistaken about no drop table. I actually looked at the box to the right which I had before thought was a just mil/moa conversion factor note (not knowing what 'popravka' was). It turns out to be elevation dope in mils, clicks of 1/4 moa and centimeters. I'm getting way rusty after 25 years of no use...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I still have not received my 0317 MOS certificate from the Marine Corps for having watched it...</div></div>

You can get one on eBay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get one on eBay. </div></div>

Outstanding! I always wanted to be a Special Forces Sniper and a Marine Sniper to go with my S-Mart ("shop smart, shop S-Mart!") sniper wannabe certificate!
laugh.gif

Ethan,

Never saw what you posted, but I'm on your side and not all of the sniffiling babies defending someone else. I don't see why there wasn't something out on the internet already for the mil-dot system. I am the type who would rather see how something works first before I buy it. I am all for giving money to the little business guy, but if an idea is something that is so good for our law enforcement and military to "save lives", I think it should be available to them, even if they get it free off the internet. I understand both sides of this argument, but I don't like the teaming up of others on you. Ok, I'm done.

Ronin Rider

Did you seriously pick a four month old heated topic to be your introduction to the hide?

At least fill out your profile so we can learn a little about you before you get flamed off the board.

And BTW, quite a few Mildot Masters have been donated to our troops from the company free of charge. Might want to do some research before popping off.

lol, not only that but if you go to their site, there is a good demo of the product. i used to use shooter ready and the mildot demo to practice ranging before i bought my mildot master.

but, its nice that the newbs are finding old posts, at least he is searching or going back a few pages