• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Rear Monopod

VoxPatriam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2014
Some crappy desert
I got bored today and started looking at rear monopods for my rifle and decided I'd just make my own. It's by no means professional but it cost me a total of $16. It also functions as a hand stop for my left hand. I started with this pile of parts, which includes a turn buckle, a 1/2x13x3" stainless carriage bolt (cut off for the stud on the adapter), an adapter for a SAW forward grip, a 5/16x1 carriage bolt for the bottom of the monopod, and a 1/8" roll pin.
IMG_20140607_164316_466_zpshabso5si.jpg

Then I decided to stipple the "front" of the adapter where my hand would contact it for some extra grip (more boredom than function).
IMG_20140607_115845_885_zpszwnrfxng.jpg

Next I cut off the turn buckle to 2" and drilled out the front of the threaded portion so the carriage bolt wouldn't stick out where the square bit is at the base. I then threaded the larger portion of the turn buckle with a 1/2x13 tap, cut off the smaller carriage bolt to leave 1/4" of threads.
IMG_20140607_172856_145_zpsugyvfay5.jpg

And wound up with this:
IMG_20140607_173009_078_zpscvfoxzsu.jpg

Then I drilled and tapped the "rear" of the adapter to accept the 1/2" stud cut from the large carriage bolt and pinned it to the adapter. It's removeable with a thumb screw so I'm not planning to leave it there like an Accushot or something that can fold up. That left me with this with the monopod completely depressed:
IMG_20140607_180631_785_zpsnijkyrrn.jpg

And fully extended:
IMG_20140607_180700_511_zpsixheees9.jpg

So far the rifle looks like this with the monopod on. It's since gotten a black coat of paint which is drying right now.
IMG_20140607_180551_279_zpstora0xde.jpg

It may not be the prettiest thing in existence but it has as much adjustment as the ones I looked at online, and it seems to work fine. Once I get back from leave I'll take it out to the range and see how she handles. Not bad for $16 I'd say. Hope this helps someone.

I'm planning to stipple the bottom for some texture. Even thinking about threading a countersink to work as a spike instead of the rounded carriage bolt head.

I did something similar on an old rifle. I found dipping the hardware in "Plasti-dip" was functional and made it neat looking.

Nice job!

Jonathan

I did something similar, only is used a chunk from a C-clamp that had a quick release button. I tried plasti dip on the foot, but it rubbed off way too easily. So far I am pretty satisfied with the results.

Thanks guys! In retrospect I wish I'd gone with a fine thread stud instead for a little finer adjustment. Maybe the next one will go that route.
Do you have any pictures of the quick release you made? That's a good idea.