• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY upgrades for Remington 700 .308 Varmint

morelhunter

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2012
Seattle
Hello, I'm new to long range shooting and looking for some advice. I picked up a Remington 700 .308 varmint from Dick's black friday sale. I've broken in the barrel and dialed it in at 100yds with the cheap scope it came with, but now it's time to start upgrading.

I've been researching different options for a few months, from leaving the rifle bone-stock to a full M40A3 build. I've decided to avoid any gunsmithing work for now and upgrade what I can on my own. I'm thinking a new stock, detachable magazine, rail, rings and scope. This will be for hunting and longer distance target shooting, I don't care about tacticool I just want it light and accurate.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Detachable Magazine</span>
I've already jumped the gun and purchased the Badger Ordnance M5 trigger guard with detachable magazine so the stock will need to accept it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Stock</span> - I think I want something with a full bed block, sturdy out of the box so I can drop it right in without bedding it. Since this will be primarily a hunting rifle I'd like to use an M40A1-style hunting stock. But I do like the idea of having an adjustable cheek piece, so feel free to convince me toward a different A4 or A5 style if it's lightweight. Here are some options I'm looking at:

Bell & Carlson Medalist
Though I'm not sure which model to go for. Would these stocks accept the Badger M5 detachable magazine, and would that require inletting?

Hogue Stock
This is the DM model (detachable magazine). Would it work with the Badger M5 detachable magazine, and would it require inletting?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope Rail</span>
Badger Ordnance
Though I'm not sure which of these is correct for my 700 short action, which part number do I want? Also what does the *MOA mean for with these rails, and what's the difference between the 20 and 30 MOA?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rings</span>
Badger Ordnance, to fit whichever scope I go with.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope</span>
I'm willing to spend the money to do this right, something variable power possibly into 20x. I figure I'll just wait until I find a deal online on a good brand. I've only owned cheap scopes with poor visibility, so feel free to suggest any brands or scopes you prefer.

If you have any other advice or specific equipment you prefer I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Re: DIY upgrades for Remington 700 .308 Varmint

I would upgrade the stock and trigger (unless you like your trigger) a light weight base option is DNZ. Here are a couple posts I have done on stock Remington barreled action that may give you some ideas.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...235#Post3384235

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...150#Post2749150

If you want a DBM contact B&C by phone I think they can inlet a stock for you as LoneWolfUSMC got one from them. See his budget build video at http://www.8541tactical.com/videos.php

The B&C light tactical makes for a nice light weight and handling hunting stock with the DNZ mount (the whole mount weigh about the same as a badger steel rail/base. FWIW, If you go with a manners or mcmillan stock in one of the tactical styles it’s going to pick up between 1-2 extra pounds compared to the B&C. First hand experience…

Scopes are so varied it’s hard to say until you state what options you are after, but… a great scope is the Vortex 5-15 midway exclusive.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183567/...t-reticle-matte

It’s a lighter weight scope as far as tacticals go. If you like tactical features and willing to pay a little more SWFA 5-20 ss is great and while I don’t own a 3-21 bushnell HDMR g2 I did look through one for a while and really liked what I saw. Beyond that nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS are good but command more cash.

And welcome to the hide!

The "moa" of a base refers to the base being tapered. it allows you to zero the scope closer to the bottom of the adjustment range giving you more up tracks adjustment allowing you to shoot out further. also you have another vote for the midway exclusive vortex here best scope for the money I have seen.

get yourself a good stock.... when you can afford it, a trigger...shoot the hell out of what you have got and enjoy it... later one down the road rebarrel it....and the fun starts off all over again...

optics always get the best you can afford...get a scope mounting kit a reseach how to mount your base and scope the PROPER way... i have shot vortex and can say they are great for the $$ but i will always have leupold when i can afford it....

rifles are like engines, every one always over complicating them... they are simple tools nuts and bolts...unless you have a CNC than life gets very complicated....

welcome to the hide!!!

B&C: not inletted. Inletting is not terribly expensive and only requires sending out the stock.

Badger Ordnance make very nice stuff, and you pay for it, the performance increase if any, however, is negligible. They are also steel, if your goal is minimal additional weight I would suggest aluminum or Ti, there are many fine options.

For scopes I suggest you figure out what options you feel you must have and if you cannot locate or narrow down your choices post in optics, you will get much better suggestions than just asking for lightweight and maybe 20x or more. In a .308 that much power is nice but rarely neccessary, less will likely save some coin and weight.

Thanks for the replies, good stuff!

@niles DNZ base looks great, I'll definitely look into that. Would the B&C Light Tactical fit the varmint barrel? They also have a varmint tactical, not sure if it has different dimensions or just heavier...

@beef Is there a lighter detachable magazine system you'd recommend instead of the Badger M5? I've already purchased it, but it's not too late to sell it off and go with something else.

The varmint, tactical, mil-spec 5r, pss (now police) are all the same contour. It will fit, I have a few of them with two varmint's and a tactical sitting in them.

YOU GOT A GOOD BUY ON THAT GUN FROM DICK`S....SINCE YOU`RE NEW TO LR....MY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE ON THE MODERSTE $$$$ SIDE....
NOTE HOW GUN SHOT TO BEGIN WITH..... AS YOU CHANGE PARTS...
I BOUGHT THE SAME GUN... LAPPED BARREL,PUT IT IN A H-S STOCK WITH A LEUPOLD 6.5X20..TUNED TRIGGER.... DILLON 20 MOA MOUNT AND BURRIS RINGS.NO MAG. CHANGE...IT NOW SHOOTS .75" MOA WITH 3 DIFFERENT BULLETS AND LOADS....
THESE PARTS WILL PUT YOU IN THE 1000$-1200$ INVESTMENT RANGE.THIS OUTFIT WILL BE BEYOND THE ABILITY OF MOST SHOOTERS.... WEAR BARREL OUT...3500-5000 rnds. AND THEN GET SERIOUS...
OMHO
bill larson

For what it's worth I'm of the buy once cry once crowd.This also gives you better re-sale value if you upgrade years down the road.

FWIW I say go with the Mc MIllan A-4 or A-5.I and my guys have used the a-4's operationally for the last 10 years or so.Can't beat them.We have the adjustable spacers and saddke cheek piece.

As far as a base goes try EGW (evolution gun works) in pa.Their bases are great and about 1/3 the cost of the badger.

For scope a good scope at a decent price is the Leupold m-1 line.I have also used this for many years operationally with never a problem.

I know nightforce and others are a little better but your going to pay a lot more than the Leupolds for not that huge of a gain.I'm sure there is a difference of opinion on the scope thing but that's just my.02

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I was refering to base/ring options not the DBM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a DBM contact B&C by phone I think they can inlet a stock for you as LoneWolfUSMC got one from them. See his budget build video at http://www.8541tactical.com/videos.php</div></div>

I watched those budget build vids, good stuff thanks for the link.

So I called up B&C today to order the Medalist Light Tactical in green spiderweb (all their vendors are sold out). As soon as I said inlet for the Badger M5 the girl on the phone stopped me. She said they don't and have never done any inletting on stocks, they only ship out the standard BDM cutout. I don't remember her exact words, but she explained that they have a small shop and don't have equipment to inlet a stock. I asked if she was sure about that, because of what I've read here and from LoneWolfUSMC's videos. She said she's sure - they don't do custom inletting even for standard DMs, the waiting list is at least 10 weeks, and I should order from a vendor instead of direct because B&C will charge me more.

This was just one interaction and maybe I caught them on a bad day, but I'm not impressed with their company. It sounds like they don't want anything to do with actual customers, and I'm not entirely sure I want to give them my money.

Can anybody suggest an alternative drop-in stock with a full frame bed, comparable to or higher quality than a Medalist?

If not, I've heard very good things about Manners, good quality and they'll bend over backwards to keep their customers happy. If I need to go with a stock which requires bedding work I think they'd be a good choice. Can anybody with experience give a recommendation between the MCS-T and MCS-SL? Is there any loss in accuracy with the SL's lighter frame?

Thanks again!

Look up thomas manners in the user list, he IS manners stocks. He will answer your question. I have a few of his stocks and they are great! Bedding is easy but does take some time in prep. A good tread is in the gunsmithing section and a sticky at the top. That’s where I learned and now I have more than a dozen jobs under my belt.

Also, remember they have a chassis that would be a drop in and uses AI mags.

If you don't want to bed and thinking about going with a Manners then get the MCS-T with the mini chassis. The mini chassis is made by Badger for Manners and doesn't require bedding. Do a youtube search for mini chassis and lowlight's review should come up.

I have the MCS-T and love it. Had a T5 but sold it and now in the process of waiting for my my new T5 to be completed. I personally like the feel of the T5 more though. I have the same gun and getting it set up.

I forgot that you already ordered the Badger bottom metal, and can always sell it here on the sight. If not there is a couple guys here on the site that can inlet the stock for you.

Just a reminder your 308 Varmint has a 1-12 twist so it might not shoot the very heavy bullets but someone will help out with that ? PS: get a McRees chassis and be done with it.

Both of my 1:12 Rem700 stabilize the 178 Amax (at mag length) with no issue. Thats with 20, 22" bbl.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: morelhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello, I'm new to long range shooting and looking for some advice. I picked up a Remington 700 .308 varmint
<span style="font-weight: bold">Detachable Magazine</span>
I've already jumped the gun and purchased the Badger Ordnance M5 trigger guard with detachable magazine so the stock will need to accept it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Stock</span> - I think I want something with a full bed block, sturdy out of the box so I can drop it right in without bedding it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope Rail</span>Also what does the *MOA mean for with these rails, and what's the difference between the 20 and 30 MOA?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rings</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope</span>

If you have any other advice or specific equipment you prefer I'd love to hear it. Thanks! </div></div>

First, forget the detachable mag. Sell it. Right now, that's the last thing you need to spend your money on.

Second, get a 'PSS' or 'Varmint' stock by HS Precision (oem for Rem for years). Gently-used takeoffs can be had for about $200. If you need different cheekweld, use a stretchy ammo sleeve on the butt and stick foam under it and tape it down so it won't move.

Third, learn what MOA means, and fast! Knowledge is what will make you a decent shooter, not fancy equipment. As to a scope rail, get an EGW. It will save you a bundle and will work fine.

Fourth, rings. Get Burris XTR in whatever height will best accommodate your scope and base. Way less expensive than Badger, et al, and will do the job fine. As to height, do the math, figure it out. LEARN. Then you can teach others.
cool.gif
However, you'll probably want extra low, unless you get a scope w/56mm objective (which you don't want, trust me).

Fifth, scope. You're asking questions that have been asked many, many, many times before. Buy a gently-used SS 10x or 16x for $275. Learn what you're doing, then sell it for the same price. A $1,500 scope will NOT make you a better shooter until you are way farther down the path. And maybe not even then....

Sixth, trigger. VERY important. adjust the trigger to something way better than the POS factory (typical) setting. If the trigger sucks so bad it won't adjust good enough, then get a gently-used older version Rem 700 trigger and install it and adjust it per instructions you can easily find on the internet.

Last but not least. If you're in the SF Bay area, PM me, and I'll try to help you in person, and can hook you up with a replacement trigger, adjust it, etc. I've been in your shoes. And I've been proud (and pissed) when the guys I've helped have later beaten me in matches. Not often, but it happened.
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a 1-12 twist might not shoot the heavy bullets. </div></div>

xp100man, don’t take this personally cause it’s not a personal attack… it is just my rant on this “1-12 twist” stuff I keep seeing thrown around here “not good for heavy weights”.

I don’t know where this “12 twist isn't good enough for heavy weights” miss-information got started but it is not correct unless the poster also wishes to quantify <span style="text-decoration: underline">WHEN and WHY</span>, far too often it isn’t explained and they are just being a canary.

A 1-12 twist will shoot just fine with long bullets and bullet length <span style="text-decoration: underline">IS</span> the issue not the weight.

Sure, weight and length go hand in hand as when was the last time you saw a lead core bullet the length of a 190 grain Berger VLD but weighting 100 grains… It is the length of the bullet that is the larger/largest factor.

Temperature and altitude (think air density or density altitude) are the conditions the bullet has to fly through and play a huge roll in stability. The hotter the temperature better and the higher your altitude the better when it comes to stretching your stability limits with long (and heavy) for caliber bullets. Velocity also plays a roll but temperature and altitude are more significant when your supersonic.

A 12 twist is just about perfect for all conditions you going to be shooting in with the 168 & 175 .308” Match King and even the long 190 Berger VLD and 180 grain JLK LB VLD will shoot well in cold temps and low (under 1000’) altitudes with a 12 twist. How do I know… because I shoot/have shot them in 6 different 12 twist 308 rifles now, all factory bores from 2400fps to near 2700fps with DA of -1000' to +7000. It gets cold in michigan and rarely am I above 700' ASL, never have I had a stability issue. Others here are shooting 208 a-max, 210 Berger’s and now even 215 Berger hybrid’s, guess what… all from a 12 twist’s. Don’t take my word for it… what does the Marine Corps use in there sniper rifles… 1-12 twist. The Army always has to be different but still… what are they using??? 11.25 – 11.27 depending on who you ask. What do they have in common with us??? They are shooting 168 & 175 .308” Match Kings and typically at a little lower velocity than most of us try to achieve in our bolt actions.

A 12 twist will do just fine in a 308 with all the common bullets a 308 will use and standard velocities.

If you wish to shoot subsonic or push the limits with the longest bullets available and don’t have temperate and/or altitude (high DA) at your advantage you can make the case for a faster twist. One can also make the case that a 10 twist may not be good enough then as well. One can also argue that a slower than 12 twist may be best with shorter/lighter than 175 SMK’s and the reason many palma shooters use 13 and 14 twist barrels with 155’s while others state the 13 twist as the be all end all for the 168 smk FGMM ammo.

Thank you for your time… End of rant.

Niles Coyote, Ya!! what you said, i knew someone would come along and do a better job of teaching than i did, thats what i was after. I enjoyed the lesson myself.

I've been working up loads with my 1:12 Remington (from Dick's) and the 178 gr. Hornady AMAX are shooting the best at .5 MOA. All you can do is try different loads at see what works and not just going off of what you read. To get the thread back on track I put a Choate Tactical stock on mine. It's a very nice stock for the money if your looking to build a budget rifle but would still need to be inletted for DBM...