• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Diy ventilator

Snuby642

Two Star General
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    These ventilators dont look any more complicated than say an annealing machine.

What do we need a compressor an accumulater, timer, some hose maybe a power converter.

I doubt rocket science is required.

Reactions: Lesch
    A pressure feedback system, positive end expiratory pressure (PEEP) and constant positive airway pressure (CPAP) monitoring and adjusting, calibrated carbon dioxide detector, hemoglobin oxygen saturation software and equipment hookups, alarm circuitry to indicate if anything goes out of whack, and software to self-regulate and correct breathing rate, tidal volume, and other parameters. Dont forget LAN/wifi to connect the ventilator to a hub monitor at the nurses station so providers can glance at patient monitoring systems as they document care.

These ventilators nowadays in ICU's are pretty trick pieces of kit.

Last edited:
    How much of that can be cut and get some air in to a dying person?

Above are the basic of the basic.

These below are still basic, but cool in the back of ambulances

Many years ago I bought several surplus AU Vet School endoscopes. When I turned colonoscopy age I told Doc if he would tell me what to look for I'd just do it myself. He wasn't impressed with the DIY approach!

Yea they are out giving 2- 3 month lead time not credible.
    I don't do back order.

Thats part of the diy intrest nobody getting anthing.

How much of that can be cut and get some air in to a dying person?
    All of it, it’s called breathing into their mouth and fill their lungs for them.

I work on these and the basic you would possible need would be a volume and rate and some sort of insp/exp ratio. The problem comes is the sensors you will need not to over pressure a lung/s. I mean how can anyone know how much anyone can handle, who has smoked, who is a track star or joe whos 6’6” vs mary at 4’11”. I am not RT person but you may as well have an ambu bag vs some garage vent.
    side note the autovent 3000/4000 actually work extremely well but eat O2 as their main source of fuel. I have not seen the other one.

Yea they are out giving 2- 3 month lead time not credible.
    I don't do back order.

Thats part of the diy intrest nobody getting anthing.
    I wish you luck. I dont know anyone that has the knowledge of how these things are out together. Otherwise I'd reach out and ask a few questions for you.

just a few there are a lot out there .

This is an achievable solution.
    Thanks.

Will consult with our nurse on these.
    She will be set up and adjusting flow etc.

If you happen to see a prefered design please update us.

I don't care if I get them from vet supplies if they work.

At the point of getting triaged out to die crude procurement will be a mute point.

Thank you.

Well in an emergency you could do your own , practice makes perfect though I am not sure I would after fighting to pull my tube out in the hospital once was enough for me . An even more unpleasant thought would be the catheter sort of like a reverse kidney stone .

I used to do a decent amount of work with the NICU critical care team from Children’s Hospital.

Their neonatologist wasnt happy with the current transport vents for premies so he built one. Out of stuff from Lowes (or other hardware store.

It was tested thoroughly and worked great.

Granted, with a lot if these ventilators for sick, little babies, you use a thumb on and off an orifice to determine breathing rate, inhale, and exhale times.

Different stuff for adult vents that do not require 1:1 human to run them.
    Plus for longer term use they need more science to help the patient get well.

How about a bellows like a blacksmith uses? I5 can be set up with a motor to adjust amount and number of breaths per minute. Why wouldn't that work?

Reactions: Snuby642
    How much volume in that bellows? Can you measure it? Can it detect back pressure?
    I'm just the idea guy... Engineering has those answers.
    But you could measure the capacity and set the stroke to accommodate. I'm not saying it's as good as the computer controlled.....but better than no ventilator.

Reactions: clcustom1911
    Wont work on account of "we say so" figuring a "blacksmith" and a rn can't posibly find a working solution.

This is for people left to die by FUCKERS that have the good equipment and play god because they are allowed.

If i had it all the dems would be gone.

You liberal basterds can suck on that.

• Haha
    Reactions: clcustom1911
    I'm just the idea guy... Engineering has those answers.
    But you could measure the capacity and set the stroke to accommodate. I'm not saying it's as good as the computer controlled.....but better than no ventilator.
    I get your concept you're putting down. Good out of the box idea.

Reactions: Lesch
    Just remember the lungs are a balloon and they can go pop. I can't intubate someone (I can do it just not legally) but I can use a king tube if you've got no gag reflex. I'm not able to push drugs either.

Not for me, I have licensing to worry about. If the hospital gets their way I'll be in class for paramedic soon enough.

does my cpap kinda do the same thing? if too much flow/pressure happens, the mask leaks, can not over pressure?

I've got an extra CPAP here, sitting on the shelf. I've been playing with the idea of making a 'dyson' type fan out of it, for My Lady....

But now with this crisis, I'm wondering if there'd be a better use? Curious.

Reactions: Snuby642
    It's not a respirator or anything, but my wife and I do laser engraving for a living and shut down all of the normal things we do to start producing face shields for medical personel. We couldn't believe how understocked they are everywhere. We are only charging the cost of materials so we have them at $5. They are pretty cool, we designed them so they can use any sort of binder cover/transparency and you just run it through a 3 hole punch if you don't want to keep reusing the one we provide. We worked with the local hospital and ems for several days to come up with this design. I know this is much more simple than a respirator, but I have no doubt there are people out there that can create home diy respirators and they work.

Attachments

• 20200401_235423.jpg
      20200401_235423.jpg
      411.2 KB · Views: 24
    Reactions: kingston
    The original was made with tin cans and a door knob.