• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

DLC Durability

ram

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Louisiana
How durable is DLC surface treatment? I have an action and bolt that was finished with DLC, and in less than 200 rounds the base steel is exposed in a couple of locations on the bolt.

Reactions: 021411
My full DLC Axiom has very minor wear on the lugs but it’s slick as shit. Non issue to me.

I've worn the "black" off my DLC actions where the bolt contacts the action body. Still runs slick as snot and has only gotten better with time.

Mine is also worn down on the bolt body just in front of the cocking piece, but is definitely not slick. I've tried many oils and dry, and it sticks and grabs while cycling. Is there a simple way to see if it is actually cerakote and not DLC?

Mine is also worn down on the bolt body just in front of the cocking piece, but is definitely not slick. I've tried many oils and dry, and it sticks and grabs while cycling. Is there a simple way to see if it is actually cerakote and not DLC?
Who made the action and what was the finish description?

I have one of the first batch of TL3's which then had PVA DLC and its held up beautifully. Some minor wear on the bolt where it makes contact but this action has thousands and thousands of rounds on it. Like Sheldon, it's only got slicker as time wears on. Its smooth as glass.

I send every bolt body, firing pin, extractor and cocking piece to IonBond in N.C. Have never seen any type of flake or peeling. The stuff is hard and stays put. I have zero reason to use anything else for those parts. Their TB40 and TB41 coatings are the specific versions I specify.

No idea why others are having flake problems but it sounds like a surface prep issue or it is not the real deal.

./

DLC wear on the raceways of my Bighorn action. This is what it looks like after close to 10k live rounds and probably 50k+ dry fire cycles of the bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_2925.jpg
    IMG_2925.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 284
Is it difficult to remove the DLC entirely from the action and bolt? The way it is now, its worse than any factory Remington Ive had in smoothness of bolt manipulation.

Is it difficult to remove the DLC entirely from the action and bolt? The way it is now, its worse than any factory Remington Ive had in smoothness of bolt manipulation.
I remember reading once it might have to take a chemical bath or have to be media blasted off. I'm no expert..

We just bead blast the coating off if we need to for some reason. The facility we use to coat does surface prep ahead of applying any coating as it is to control the batch and ensure a quality application every time.

Reactions: Terry Cross

you might have some heavy buildup in spots. Also, buy some hornady HD extreme spray. Makes anything cycle 300% better.

How is the DLC applied? I thought it was a vapor disposition process with a charged surface that would drawing the material evenly across the surface. However, my action does not have any coating at all inside the raceway behind the ejection port. This would seem as though is was sprayed on like a paint.

How is the DLC applied? I thought it was a vapor disposition process with a charged surface that would drawing the material evenly across the surface. However, my action does not have any coating at all inside the raceway behind the ejection port. This would seem as though is was sprayed on like a paint.
It is a VDP process. The interior of some voids like smaller holes may not get circulation equal to exterior surfaces. The entire raceway of the receiver should have certainly been covered though.

Who did the DLC application?

DLC coating like any other is only as good as the company the company that applies it. There are a lot out there that can do it but not as good as some others.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Is there a noticeable difference when having just the bolt coated vs. action & bolt (stainless action).
Trying to make the bolt throw on my Nesika a bit smoother. Thanks.

-Rick