• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DLC Question

smacha538

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2014
Sugar Land, Tx.
This may be a dumb question, and I can’t find a for sure answer.

Are there any issues with cerakoting over a DLC’d action and bolt?

Up until now, never owned a DLC’d action.

Last edited:
Not sure how well cerakote will "stick"/apply to the DLC. That would be my concern. May need to bead blast the DLC off first.

Hopefully you get an answer. Maybe ask in the gunsmith forum section.

Personally, I think putting cerakote on an action that's already DLC'ed would be like putting square wheels on a Ferrari, but to each their own.

Not sure how well cerakote will "stick"/apply to the DLC. That would be my concern. May need to bead blast the DLC off first.

Hopefully you get an answer. Maybe ask in the gunsmith forum section.

Personally, I think putting cerakote on an action that's already DLC'ed would be like putting square wheels on a Ferrari, but to each their own.

Ha def agree with the last statement. I’m just genuinely curious, as I just picked up a DLC’d action, and was doing some searching on the coating.

Reactions: kthomas
Considering that one of the fundamental processes that go with C/K is blast finishing the parts because the material requires a rough surface your likely going to remove almost all traces of the DLC you just paid for.

Can you do it? Sure, it'll work. Just don't go into it assuming the DLC is doing anything for you at that point cause its not.

Before you go erasing the DLC by having it cerakoted why don't you read up a bit about the properties of Diamond Like Carbon finishes first, and then see if you still want to have it cerakoted:

In my book that's like having a real expensive custom paint job on your car and wanting to have it redone by getting some rattle cans of paint from Wal-Mart. You'd be negating all the advantages the DLC has.

Reactions: clcustom1911
Oh, and by the way if you are wanting to cerakote the rest, matte black cerakote blends in real well with the DLC in my experience.

Reactions: smacha538