• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DMR barrel recommendations

D1gger

GDI
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 12, 2017
    Staunton, VA
    I'm looking to compete in a few of the team matches in which one of the shoots has to have either a 308 or a 223/556 rifle.
    So I'm looking to build a new 556 upper to compete, something that will shoot the 75gr or higher bullets well.
    I know I should look for 1:7 twist barrels, and I would like to stay in the 18-20" range. I was looking at Wilson Combat barrels, as I have had good luck with their barrels before, but it doesn't seem that they make what I want.
    What are some good ones to look at, and can they be had for around $300 or less?
    So far, the only other one I found is a WOA, and the only one in stock is about $390

I believe I was on WOA's website. I didn't see them when I searched Brownells. I'll look again

Reactions: D1gger
    Probably a question for the MD, but would using a 223 Wylde qualify as "service rifle" caliber? I saw those listed, but I was looking for one marked 556 or 223.

I haven't seen any .223 Wylde ammo on the shelf in a while haha but you can shoot both .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO in the .223 Wylde chamber without issue. That's the appeal of it and why most AR manufacturers are using that reamer when making AR barrels. In laymen's terms the .223 Wylde has in between chamber and throat dimensions that's not as tight as .223 Remington so you can safely shoot 5.56 NATO but not as loose as a NATO chamber so you have good accuracy potential when shooting .223 and 5.56 pressure match ammo.

LOL, Yeah, I was aware of the Wylde ammo situation. I just wasn't sure how strict they would be on the chambering.
    I guess since the only thing you can shoot through it is 223/556 it should be GTG.
    Thanks

Yeah, you'll be fine. My SPR was assembled with a WOA SPR barrel, Vltor MUR upper, BCM KMRA handguard, and BCM BCG and it's been a hammer with Black Hills and IMI Razor Core as well as Frontier 62gr BTHP.

If you want a Douglas then talk to Compass Lake Engineering. I have a Douglas service rifle barrel and it is one of my best shooting 223 barrels. CLE chamber is comparable to the Wylde chamber, maybe a bit better throat for heavy bullets.

I also have an 18" WOA barreled upper in 6.8SPC. I shoot this barrel more than any other I own lately. It really does shoot great and has been a dependable barrel with Accubonds and Barnes TSX. You can't go wrong either way.

If your leaning toward a 20" or service rifle profile barrel, Keystone makes great shooting service rifle barrels for the $$.

Reactions: -=boone=-
    I recently built an upper with a Rainier ultra match 20” barrel. It did not disappoint

Attachments

• 8824F889-86B4-45BC-A535-E3ED92E6D38E.png
      8824F889-86B4-45BC-A535-E3ED92E6D38E.png
      5.8 MB · Views: 132
    Reactions: The DFC and D1gger
    I just received a WOA 20" midweight, which is their service rifle contour but takes standard gas blocks, and paid less than $300 and had it in 6 days. I plan to shoot it this weekend and see what it does.

WOA has great barrels and pricing. CLE recently raised their pricing but they are still fair. For the Douglas barrel I would go for CLE, they did help kac with small run of Douglas barrels for our armed forces. I’ll try and find the info on it.

I just received a WOA 20" midweight, which is their service rifle contour but takes standard gas blocks, and paid less than $300 and had it in 6 days. I plan to shoot it this weekend and see what it does.
    Did you purchase direct from WOA?

So I'm finding very little available with the 1:7 twist. If I want to shoot the 70gr and higher bullets, will the 1:8 twist stabilize that or should I keep looking for the 1:7 twist?

The most accurate 223 barrel I own is a Bartlein 1-7.7 spun by Compass Lake Engineering . I’ve actually shot the smallest groups of my life with that barrel .

Bartlein, WOA, Douglas, Krieger barrels will all serve you well.

Shortly I’ll have a AR for sale with a 20” Douglas service rifle barrel 1/7 twist CLE chamber if you’re interested.
    2763D2CF-06B5-4C16-9337-0F28ED81CB49.jpeg

Last edited:
    WOA -22.4 Grn AR Comp and 77smk.

Attachments

• 1BA10807-BD4C-4FBA-A96F-423A0DDDA7E7.jpeg
      1BA10807-BD4C-4FBA-A96F-423A0DDDA7E7.jpeg
      275.5 KB · Views: 66
    • 19F70FA3-738F-4C01-8508-3C4D3BE28EF4.jpeg
      19F70FA3-738F-4C01-8508-3C4D3BE28EF4.jpeg
      220.5 KB · Views: 77