• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes DMR optic

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
What are some popular optics for a 20” 5.56 gun? I was thinking something like a 2.5-10. This will just be a spare upper slapped onto an SBR lower for when I want to poke steel at further distances.

If you want 1x capability I would get a vortex Razor G3 1-10.

otherwise crank those magnification numbers up if you don't need 1x. I really want to try something compact like the eotech 5-25x on a rifle length AR.

Also don't discount a more budget friendly option. Lots of good options for strictly range fun in the sub 1000$ market if you don't have a job for that upper.

FFP
Tree reticle
Made by a quality manufacture (not china or phillipenes. )
Illumination
Good Eyebox
Lightweight

If you want 1x capability I would get a vortex Razor G3 1-10.

otherwise crank those magnification numbers up if you don't need 1x. I really want to try something compact like the eotech 5-25x on a rifle length AR.

Also don't discount a more budget friendly option. Lots of good options for strictly range fun in the sub 1000$ market if you don't have a job for that upper.

I've got a VUDU 5-25 H-59 on an Armalite M15 with a 24" heavy SS barrel. The combination with the VUDU has been extremely impressive. I need some more rounds under it but at this point I'm extremely impressed.

A nice 3-9 or 2.5-10 is all you really need.... nxs or leupold freedom, nice lightweight scope.

Reactions: JS8588
Took my 20" .223 out to 800 yards last week with a Viper PST II 5-25. I agree with others that say a 2-10 or 3-15 is all you really need, but the extra magnification sure is nice when reaching out further.

I kinda forgot about the 3-18x Mk5. I like it’s small profile and magnification range.

Ran a Steiner T5Xi 3-15 on mine for 4ish years, and really liked it for that usage before throwing a NX8 1-8 on it. Think I’m moving the NX8 to a 12.5 rifle though, and putting a Gen III 1-10 on the DMR though.

I kinda forgot about the 3-18x Mk5. I like it’s small profile and magnification range.

It’s literally the perfect DMR/SPR optic. Short, light, compact, and reliable. The S&B ultra shorts are awesome too but you can buy two Mark 5’s and mounts for what ultra shorts cost. I love them but they absolutely are not 2x better than the Mark 5, I don’t even think they’re half again better and I’ve owned several of both.

Two that pop into my head right off the bat are Bushnell LRTS 3-12x44 and SWFA 3-9x42 HD.
Both have tremendous build quality, IMO.

I’ve got the Bushy mounted on my 18” DMR/SPR Grendel and it seems like a perfect fit.