• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I have a Van Orden M70?

jbarn_1999

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2013
Hello,

I am a Vintage Sniper Rifle collector and I recently purchased a pre 64 era M70 off of Gunbroker. It interested me because it already had the mounts for a Vintage Unertl scope and it was chambered in 30-06. I had planned to create a M70 clone, but I may have something a little more special:

I found the page from "Death from Afar" book last night listing the Van Orden M70 sniper rifles sold to individuals. As I half heartedly looked at it, I found the serial number of my rifle!

The rifle listed in the book was sold to Barry T. Conway of N. Syracuse, NY in May 1955.

I see no electropencil markings anywhere on the receiver but it does have the clip slot in the top. It also has a Winchester Medium Heavy Barrel. The Stock seems to be correct but there are no sights nor scope. It does have evidence of Ironsights on the receiver which fits with competition micrometer sights as issued (I think that was right). It came with a Balvar scope mounted, but I know it is not original.

This is already my favorite rifle - no it is not for sale.

How would I know if it is actually the Van Orden rifle aside from the serial number or is that good enough?

I posted some pics - what do you think?

Attachments

• DSC01620.jpg
    DSC01620.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC01621.jpg
    DSC01621.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC01622.jpg
    DSC01622.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC01623.jpg
    DSC01623.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 54
Not sure if Col Chandler (USMC) is still around, but you might give him a holler on additional info. It's been years (and then some) since I spoke with him, so I'm not sure. I remember running into him the last time at the LeJeune/J'ville National Guard Armory gun show, back in the mid 90's talking about a rifle a Cpl Kemp had ordered, but I digress...

Might call him and see if he still has his notes from the books...maybe something will turn up?

Iron Brigade Armory

v/r

Hi:

You do have a Van Orden M-70 Sniper. Your rifle, 333,437 Model WIN M55 Sniper, was sold to T Barry (NY CIV RT) c/o A. Englund, 235 Lawrence Avenue, North Syracuse, N.Y. Order placed 1 February 1955, shipped 21 May 1955 Order 11169

Rifles sold to civilians were not marked U.S. Property. Van Orden used both the sniper stock and marksman stock. The sniper stock was a low comb sporter stock which had an oil finish and had no checkering.

Hope this helps & Congrats.

Regards,

John K.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information, I will attempt to keep it as close to original as possible. Looks like I really lucked out.

Added some additional information on your stock. It is correct also.

John

If you send me a PM with your address, I'll send you a copy of the Van Orden record from 1955.

Kraig,
The stock you picture is a standard Marksman stock. The OP pictured a standard field stock factory oil finished and made without checkering. They are very rare. Mine is a bit higher in the comb than many standard stocks, but of the field type no Monte Carlio.
Nice rifle.

Kraig,
The stock you picture is a standard Marksman stock. The OP pictured a standard field stock factory oil finished and made without checkering. They are very rare. Mine is a bit higher in the comb than many standard stocks, but of the field type no Monte Carlio.
Nice rifle.

Thanks,

Anyone know where I could get Marksman stocks? I have a couple other Model 70s I'd like to put in them. I like the way they fit and feel.

Kraig,
I have one but it is a pre war. They are tough to find in original. I am sure someone is duplicating them, but not sure who. You could send yours to a duplicator and run some off.
Good Luck.
RTH

Does anyone have the Van Orden sn.'s handy, I will get mine tonight as its in the 300000 range as well. I sure would like to be able to say mine is VanOrden. very best

vanorden list.jpgI was looking at a online auction that included a page from "Death from afar". I have included it. I don't think this is an all-inclusive list.

Hi Kraig,
This is my marksman stock made by Jesse @ CRS in Aaronsburg, Pennsylvania
I purchased the original marksman stock of ebay, and had it sent to him - for duplication.
Because I'm fitting the current M70 action to it (pre-64's simply can't be had over here), I asked that it be blind inletted to cover an discrepancies in sizing between the two.
At my request he also built the comb up by 4mm - turns out most of this additional timber has been shaved off to allow bolt clearance (so might as well, be a spec marksman stock now anyway).

Prior to the comb modification, I'm pretty sure he updated the marksman pattern/template he had on file - so he would certainly be worth a call.
About Custom Rifle Stocks

also pictured below is the replica checquered target buttplate I milled, for this project.

P1010262.jpgP1010276.jpg
P1010260.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 5412I was looking at a online auction that included a page from "Death from afar". I have included it. I don't think this is an all-inclusive list.
Thanks Jbarn, Im not on that one.. rats I still love mine and it shoots 165 and 168 great. I shoot and collect these targets and varminters if you ever sell, I did not see yours on GB... You did well even if it were not a Van Orden, that is icing on the cake. milky tits!!! very best

If your list is from the RI Auction than you already know the expected price is up to $15000.00. If you are not a collector, sell it. If you are a collector, than you already know not to modify it in any way whatsoever. From your questions I'm guessing you made a GIANT score. Congratulations.

LOL. Congratulations on the find. This is the the "Antiques Road Show" of Sniper's Hide. Great thread. Thanks for the pics.

This is one long thread on Van Orden rifles. What is the "latest" on Van Orden rifles, auctions where they have been sold? Any information would be fine.

Indeed a lucky find. I know the Chandlers well. The Van Orden M70 is one rifle that I would love to have in my collection. Good find and Congrats !! Mike