• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I need a 20 MOA mount for my SCAR 20s?

You have a total of 71 MOA with that Vortex.

After zeroing, you might have less than half of 71 MOA, so let’s say you end up with 27 MOA of available vertical travel. That will matter if you’re going to dial, but since it has the EBR-7C reticle with stadia reticle, there is no need to dial for elevation if you don’t want to.

Short answer: No, you don’t need 20 MOA slope optic mount.
Alternate answer: If you want to ignore the benefits of the stadia and use the .14 MOA center dot after dialing elevation, then you might want 20 MOA slope. Did you get the SCAR-20 7.62 or 6.5CM?

sub_rzr-g2_3-18x50_ebr-7c_moa-t.jpg

You have a total of 71 MOA with that Vortex.

After zeroing, you might have less than half of 71 MOA, so let’s say you end up with 27 MOA of available vertical travel. That will matter if you’re going to dial, but since it has the EBR-7C reticle with stadia reticle, there is no need to dial for elevation if you don’t want to.

Short answer: No, you don’t need 20 MOA slope optic mount.
Alternate answer: If you want to ignore the benefits of the stadia and use the .14 MOA center dot after dialing elevation, then you might want 20 MOA slope. Did you get the SCAR-20 7.62 or 6.5CM?

sub_rzr-g2_3-18x50_ebr-7c_moa-t.jpg
Hey I actually got the EBR-2C Moa reticle version of that scope. My SCAR 20s is 7.62x51mm. Okay, if that’s the case I’ll just stick with my flat ADM delta that’s already on its way to me. I had a cantilevered 20moa vortex mount originally but decided to switch to the ADM delta because I fear the SCAR’s reputation for eating optics on cantilevered mounts.

I’ve heard of some mounts that were designed to add rigidity to the SCAR’s flexible, extruded aluminum receiver. One of the suspicions was that resonant waveforms from the firing and impact of the bolt carrier into the extension, were causing enough flex in the receiver to “whip" the optic even more. Just the secondary reciprocating mass effect impact is enough to destroy most optics, but the additional receiver flex makes it even more difficult to protect the optic. The more contact you have with the rail, the more rigidity you can impart to that area of the receiver, especially when you realize the cocking handle slot is right under there. I don’t know what mount this is on the SCAR-H PR, but you can see that it has a lot more contact with the rail.

FN-SCAR-H-TPR-20-round-4-1280x800.jpg

I’ve heard of some mounts that were designed to add rigidity to the SCAR’s flexible, extruded aluminum receiver. One of the suspicions was that resonant waveforms from the firing and impact of the bolt carrier into the extension, were causing enough flex in the receiver to “whip" the optic even more. Just the secondary reciprocating mass effect impact is enough to destroy most optics, but the additional receiver flex makes it even more difficult to protect the optic. The more contact you have with the rail, the more rigidity you can impart to that area of the receiver, especially when you realize the cocking handle slot is right under there. I don’t know what mount this is on the SCAR-H PR, but you can see that it has a lot more contact with the rail.

FN-SCAR-H-TPR-20-round-4-1280x800.jpg
Yeah the adm delta mount looks similar to that.

When you look at the cross-sectional area of the SCAR’s 6061T6 receiver right under the area where optics are mounted, there are several really thin pieces of the extrusion after the ejection port and both cocking handle slots have been cut out.

Would be interesting to see that under high-speed camera under fire.

FN-SCAR-H-TPR-20-round-3-1280x800.jpg

I like to have the option to dial for elevation, even with a good tree reticle. You’ll likely run out of travel a bit shy of 1000yrds. Personally I’d run the 20moa mount.

I'm in the same boat with my 308 SCAR 20 choosing a mount. With the Vortex scope the OP has I would go with the AMD Delta Mount with 20 MOA without the extension (non cantilever).

On my SCAR 20 308 I have a Leupold 3.6-18 with CCH reticle incoming so have to use a 35mm mount. Wish the Delta was available in 35 but that is not an option. Looking to go with the Bobro SCAR mount that is not offered with any built in MOA. I was going to order the Bobro today unless anyone has another suggestion? Also wanting to avoid vertical split rings.

I ended up ordering the Leupold Mark AR 35mm Mount for my incoming MK5 3.6-18. Lightest of the bunch by several ounces and a couple hundred bucks cheaper (under 100bucks shipped). It was the Leupold Mark AR I ordered or the Spuhr 5602 (I have other Spuhr mounts and love them) but for this application figured for the cost of the Leupold if it was not to my liking not I'm not out much cash. Also as I upgrade scopes in the future this scope may well end up on a lighter weight build.

how much elevation does your scope give you?
i went with a bobro scar mount, which turned out to be awesome so far.
with my mark5hd scope, i have way more elevation travel (17.6 mils) than i need for 1000 yards (<12 mils).

Not to resurrect a thread on purpose, but I was hoping someone could help me with an issue I have. I have a standard SCAR 17, and mounted a Leupold MK5 3.6-18. I did a rough boresight/laser boresight at 100 yards, and it's about 20 mils off. I took off the turret and bottomed it all the way and re-did it, and it's the same result. The optic was mounted with the MDT 35mm Elite rings, so I'm tempted to get the 20moa/5.8 mil offset mount. The MK5 optics only have about 30 mils of total elevation, so I've lost about 2/3s of the travel. Am I doing something wrong here?

Jerry

I'd try zeroing it first. Laser boresighters are not thr most accurate method. Pulling the bolt out and looking through the barrel at 50yds and adjusting the reticle is more accurate IMHO.

Reactions: Texascbr