• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I need a 300 Winchester Magnum

I'm a 6.5 Creedmoor kind of guy, but this thread certainly has my curiosity piqued. Stainless T3x Lites are so cheap in .300 WM and WSM. It would be a hunting rifle only to supplement my T3x Lite 6.5 CM. I really don't need one, but dang...

IMO the perfect stable of precision calibers looks like this;
A short action 6mm or 6.5mm variant
A 300 magnum that suits your needs be it 300PRC, 300WM, 300 Norma, or a RUM
And either a 375 Cheytac or a 37XC..............< One day I'll get around to this.

And either a 375 Cheytac or a 37XC..............< One day I'll get around to this.

THIS!!! The best I saw was a Krieger barrel custom build for about 3-4K depending on options.

Also my road as of now. My thing about it tho is reloading tools as in the dies. Other than that it’s surprising how decent in cost the rounds are if you reload.

Reactions: roamin
I didn't read any further than the title but the answer to any question about "Do I need a gun" is yes....

Reactions: wade2big
Total pansies. I read more ballistics charts in a typical day than they do all year so I win 🤣

Oh you read a lot of ballistic charts. Yeah well I keep looking for the butthurt 308 owner coefficient on the ballistic chart for my 6.5CM and I can't find it. Whatever the number is I'm sure it's off the charts because there's a lot of chapped 308 owner's asses out there over the caliber.

Reactions: deersniper
Oh you read a lot of ballistic charts. Yeah well I keep looking for the butthurt 308 owner coefficient on the ballistic chart for my 6.5CM and I can't find it. Whatever the number is I'm sure it's off the charts because there's a lot of chapped 308 owner's asses out there over the caliber.

Relax guy, drop that blood pressure down a little bit

full-19470-197738-fa99d7394c0dcf21bd4515fb4085c721.jpg

The 6.5 vs 308 has become as bad as 45 vs 9mm. Shoot what you want and are accurate with. Provide facts not opinions when supporting your choice. Try to ensure your comparisons are similar - don't compare a 300 WM shooting 190 gr bullets to a 300 PRC shooting 230 gr. Take a breath. Feel free to ignore me! :)

Reactions: winxp_man
Depends on your use/need. My dad still runs his 30/06 for everything. That being said 300wm is a great all around cartridge. And who doesn't need another rifle?

Yes.

Buy that awesome Winchester CRF, Manners Folder one in the PX.

If I hadnt just bought a new DMR type rifle, I would be tempted big time.

Never felt the need for one. But now I WANT one.

My first one... I shot it yesterday.. the axsr it's on has a 20 moa rail, I still need 17.5 mils to get on target @ 200 yards. Seems a bit high, no other S&B I have required that much... typically it's 6 to 8 mils. How is yours? It's in a eratac adjustable mount that I can add up to 70 moa to, it's currently on 0 moa.

Great scope I have a 3-27 pmii on my MA-TEN.

View attachment 7389761

My first one... I shot it yesterday.. the axsr it's on has a 20 moa rail, I still need 17.5 mils to get on target @ 200 yards. Seems a bit high, no other S&B I have required that much... typically it's 6 to 8 mils. How is yours? It's in a eratac adjustable mount that I can add up to 70 moa to, it's currently on 0 moa.

I think the mount mine is in has 25 MOA and the scope is the 34 MIL version and that combe gives me 25 MIL's I can dial.

I loved my 300 WM I had Remington 700 with a 1-8 Hart barrel shot the 230 and 240 grain sierras awesome, I got rid of it when I couldn’t find the 240 SMK anymore, I own a 7mm Rem Mag with a Carbon 6 1-8 twist now and love it equally as much but still miss my 300 wm.

What I find absolutely amazing about threads like this is that people cannot help themselves. I am the blasphemer that mentioned the 6.5 man-bun in the context of the fact that I would like to get a wsm or WM, and instead of welcoming me to the tribe, I am treated to almost a solid page of phenomenal memes.

I love this place.

What I find absolutely amazing about threads like this is that people cannot help themselves. I am the blasphemer that mentioned the 6.5 man-bun in the context of the fact that I would like to get a wsm or WM, and instead of welcoming me to the tribe, I am treated to almost a solid page of phenomenal memes.

I love this place.
Nobody is more helpful than the people of the Hide.

• Haha
Reactions: winxp_man
Depends on your chamber. I have a Criterion match barrel on mine and it allows me to seat 225 ELD-M bullets to just shy of 3.700” without jamming. Getting 2860 and could good higher but I’m happy with this load, it’s a hammer.

Mike
That’s not a stock rifle, and the 300 PRC holds more powder. In stock form a 300WM cannot outperform a 300PRC, or launch a 250 grain 880g1 BC bullet without poking the bullet down in the powder column and wouldn’t stabilize it anyways. I have both calibers-just stating facts. No silly belt either. Someone said mark and Sam got higher velocity out of the win mag-not possible-PRC holds more powder. I like my win mag but it is supplanted by my PRC.

Last edited:
Well, do I? I mean I own some "obsolete" calibers like the 308 and a caliber .30, model of 1906.

But I don't have any magnum rifle calibers. Should I buy one?

308 is obsolete?? Someone better get on the horn to LITERALLY every ammo manufacturer and tell them the news....🤦‍♂️

well, im making it happen. putting a 300 win mag together on a KRG whiskey 3 chassis (CIP mags) and a barreled action from the PX here.

even was able to track down a few thousand rounds of ammo in this "shortage" we are all in.

well, im making it happen. putting a 300 win mag together on a KRG whiskey 3 chassis (CIP mags) and a barreled action from the PX here.

even was able to track down a few thousand rounds of ammo in this "shortage" we are all in.

I like your style. Anything worth doing is worth over doing.

Love me some 300WM, pushing 225 ELD's at 2,873 FPS. The 220's for my hunting gun which is Elk medicine. 6.5CM is very nice but 300WM is a solid step up at ELR target shooting.

PB

Well there's nothing better to punch paper with from 75 to one hundred yards.
How is that even possible? I don't own a .300WM, but I was under the impression that when you mount an optic to one, the parallax won't go any lower than 601 yards....

Reactions: Charger442
im going to be trying to shoot factory ammo first. FGMM 190 grain SMKs and i think should be fine with the 1:8 twist barrel.