• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Do I need a drag bag?

sierra11b

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2010
Sacramento
I'm in the market for a bag that can provide good protection, have enough storage to act as a range bag, and that fits into my 50" pelican hard case for travel. My rifle is 45" long. Being that I am not an operator, I clearly do not have the need for what a drag bag is fully intended. But the options and size appeal to me, especially in the higher-end quality models. I suppose in the end a good drag bag is just a bag first, but am not convinced I need a drag bag unless the options outweigh its intended purpose.

I have searched most of the threads I can dig-up on everything from Eagle, Blackhawk, Tac Ops, Tac Force. While the Tac Force does meet two of the criterion (the price is also attractive), I am left to believe that the storage is lacking for range bag use. Then you have Eagle and Tac Ops which I like -- at least from all the pictures and reviews -- and am willing to splurge on. They are clearly both high quality and the storage seems to be more thought-out and plentiful for day range use.

Another option I have been looking at is the Gunslinger II. While I am no longer active duty, the idea of a versatile pack that has adequate storage and can be also used for hunting appeals to me. Problem is that I don't think it will fit in the pelican case, unless the rifle case is detachable, which I am unsure of.

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Do I need a drag bag?

maybe ill get laughed at on this, but i saw a nice bag at a gunshow. it was heavy. closed cell foam. had plenty of pockets and all it was lacking was the muzzle pocket on the inside to secure the rifles barrel. it was $100. has the back pack straps and pocket to store them. well made too

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/130sniperdragbag.aspx

Tac ops is the best bag ive used. I would go with it. Or an Eberlestock pack. I have the F4 terminator but i think the G4 operator might be a tad bit cleaner. My back has the removable rifle scabbard which is nice, but honestly ive never removed it.

Eberlestock are top line!! I have a tac-force bag bought at Frt Knox px 5 yr ago that is about the same as the one axeman mentioned- it is fine you will only notice most quality issues if you are using a piece of gear hard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe ill get laughed at on this, but i saw a nice bag at a gunshow. it was heavy. closed cell foam. had plenty of pockets and all it was lacking was the muzzle pocket on the inside to secure the rifles barrel. it was $100. has the back pack straps and pocket to store them. well made too

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/130sniperdragbag.aspx </div></div>

http://www.8541tactical.com/condor_dragbag.php

The lack of a "muzzle pocket" is not a big deal. None of the Eagle or Galati bags I used when I was "dragging" on a regular basis had them. If it worries you, then throw a scope and muzzle cover over it.

Can't pad that "tactical" rifle enough...right?

On the "import" bags it doesn't seem like the Nylon is as abrasion resistant as real Cordura used by Eagle and other US manufacturers. This is one of the primary reasons I stick to "real" Cordura for my products (besides not supporting the Chinese economy more than I have to).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">muzzle pocket on the inside to secure the rifles barrel. http://www.condoroutdoor.com/130sniperdragbag.aspx </div></div>

Not to hijack, but is there somewhere you can buy one aftermarket to put in a drag bag?</div></div>

I've got a couple of these:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/riflescopeprotectivecover.aspx

You could maybe sew the muzzle cap inside your bag??

I just put mine on the rifles and tie that in the bag....

I am kinda of old school on this issue. I dont buy anything from China I dont have to. Last I heard Condor is off shore made.I believe Tac Force is as well. More jobs gone from USA folks

Tacops is the best of the big drag bags out there with Eagle also a fantastic made bag. Tacops comes with detachable shooting mat this is darn nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LoneWolfUSMC - +1 Great kit....but maybe not within the OP budget? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sierra11b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then you have Eagle and Tac Ops which I like -- at least from all the pictures and reviews -- <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">and am willing to splurge on</span></span>. They are clearly both high quality and the storage seems to be more thought-out and plentiful for day range use.</div></div>

Its true, the Eagle is a great bag. Most military drag bags are eagles... nuff said.

However, if you are carrying a tripod, sandsock, binos... ect ect ect... its kinda nice to have external pockets to carry that stuff so that you dont have to go into the main bag and move all over the place trying to get at your kit. It makes a huge difference stalking. But even if yur not working with the bag, its nice to have the convenience on a range to have the external storage.

Should wear my glasses more often!
wink.gif

Do you need a way of transporting your stick and would like pockets for shit to and from the range, or are you a operater and have a operational need, your probably not the later so look into a Eagle HSRC or a GRT mat combo, both offer great protection and also serve as a shooting matt.

I have used drag bags from Eagle and Tac Ops, and the Tac Ops is by far the better bag, in my opinion. The pockets are better thought out, and the workmanship is much better as well.

Nick did a GREAT job on my bag. You let him know what you want and it is made exactly like you want it.
Really should check him out.

I didn't NEED a drag bag, I'm not a sniper and my bag will probably never be dragged. BUT, I bought a Tac Ops anyway, and it sure as hell makes a nice range bag. I can fit everything into it and only make one trip from the car to the firing line. The only downside I see is that it is HUGE! But it fits everything I need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't NEED a drag bag, I'm not a sniper and my bag will probably never be dragged. BUT, I bought a Tac Ops anyway, and it sure as hell makes a nice range bag. I can fit everything into it and only make one trip from the car to the firing line. The only downside I see is that it is HUGE! But it fits everything I need. </div></div>

First off, thanks for all the replies!

This is how I am leaning as the Tac Ops is within my budget. I am not in service anymore and am not LEO, so unless civil war breaks out in my lifetime or we're invaded, I will probably never have to drag my bag. Luckily, it seems like the other practical options associated with the bag outweigh it's intended purpose:

PROS
1) USA Made, great warranty, customer service, and reviews
2) Quality Construction and turn-key design that should last a lifetime given my intended use.
3) Can fit into Pelican Hardcase if need be.

CONS
1) Price. Not too hard for me to come to terms considering the investment in the rifle alone, and that bags aren't as highly priced as other components. It's one thing to invest another $1500 on top of $1500 for better glass, but much more justifiable (to me anyway) to shell out another $150 for a quality bag
2) Never going to drag. Big deal.

Of course, the tac force's price is attractive despite where it is made, but I would rather not have buyer's remorse and get the very best for my rifle now.

Take a look at Eberlestock dragonfly also, very versatile, I find having a pack more useful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sierra11b</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't NEED a drag bag, I'm not a sniper and my bag will probably never be dragged. BUT, I bought a Tac Ops anyway, and it sure as hell makes a nice range bag. I can fit everything into it and only make one trip from the car to the firing line. The only downside I see is that it is HUGE! But it fits everything I need. </div></div>

First off, thanks for all the replies!

This is how I am leaning as the Tac Ops is within my budget. I am not in service anymore and am not LEO, so unless civil war breaks out in my lifetime or we're invaded, I will probably never have to drag my bag. Luckily, it seems like the other practical options associated with the bag outweigh it's intended purpose:

PROS
1) USA Made, great warranty, customer service, and reviews
2) Quality Construction and turn-key design that should last a lifetime given my intended use.
3) Can fit into Pelican Hardcase if need be.

CONS
1) Price. Not too hard for me to come to terms considering the investment in the rifle alone, and that bags aren't as highly priced as other components. It's one thing to invest another $1500 on top of $1500 for better glass, but much more justifiable (to me anyway) to shell out another $150 for a quality bag
2) Never going to drag. Big deal.

Of course, the tac force's price is attractive despite where it is made, but I would rather not have buyer's remorse and get the very best for my rifle now.

</div></div>I wrestled back and forth with it for a while, I had a hard time bringing myself to drop that kind of coin on a "bag" but after I got it I have no regrets, where I would have if I wouldn't have gotten the bag I really wanted. Look at it this way- $300 or so for a Tac Ops bag, but it comes with a shooting mat, and I was going to spend another $70 or so on one of those anyhow, so it becomes more justifiable.

I can get you a bag that doubles as a shooting mat in what ever configuration you need. The thing about Grand River Tactical drag bags are you tell me what you want in one, and I build it. I dont order it from somewhere, or tell someone else how to make it, I do it all. If you want the highest quality bag made specifically how you want it, accept no substitutions. But I am biased
grin.gif

check them out-

http://www.grtgear.com/Products/PRSM/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can get you a bag that doubles as a shooting mat in what ever configuration you need. The thing about Grand River Tactical drag bags are you tell me what you want in one, and I build it. I dont order it from somewhere, or tell someone else how to make it, I do it all. If you want the highest quality bag made specifically how you want it, accept no substitutions. But I am biased
grin.gif

check them out-

http://www.grtgear.com/Products/PRSM/
</div></div>
Hell I'm not biased but you did post it pretty good!

Buy a bag from GRT and call it a day. Don't waste your money on junk. I went this route many years ago and it is actually more expensive than buying quality right up front.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks Jed </div></div>PM sent

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sierra11b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went with Nick </div></div>
Glad to hear it!