• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I need a kestrel

kriller134

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 9, 2017
    Not sure if this is the right place but it seems like a dumb question. I want a kestrel but do I really need it? I want one with the ballistics calculator. Also with the kestrel, does it automatically adjust the ballistics when the environmental conditions change?

Reactions: OldArcher
    My Kestrel is the most finicky piece of equipment I have. When it works it is awesome, but I do not have full confidence in it as it is often wrong.

I had a 5700 with AB for a while but now just use the Shooter app combined with a Kestrel link to get DA. I never really used my 5700 to sample wind like many do. If you want accurate wind readings it’s nice, but if you just need a good ballistic calculator, a free or cheap smartphone app will work fine. The big thing with ballistic calculators is feeding it the correct info. I think many overlook this expecting a more expensive device to correct their lack of feeding the machine the proper data.

I like the GeoBallistics App with the weather flow meter. The meter and app costs about $100 total. Does everything I need it to do.

Buy the cheapest Kestrel. The one that only does wind, temp, and pressure. Live with it around your neck for a few months use it to calibrate your brain to wind speed.

Best use for a Kestrel in my opinion.

In fact, I have been doing that today myself, just making sure I am still calibrated.

Most smart phones do air pressure & will run your ballistic calculator.
    Wind meters are cheap (I bought one with a temperature gauge for 6 USD from aliexpress).