• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Do I need an adjustable gas block?

delixe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2014
Valley Forge, PA
I'm building an AR-15 upper with the intention of getting a supressor for it when funds become available. I'm using a 14.5" barrel and I've ordered an AAC flash hider with the 51t mount. I'm planning on pinning/welding the flash hider. Will running a supressor require being able to tune the gas system or can I get a similar result from swapping recoil springs and/or buffers? I'd prefer to keep it simple with a standard low profile gas block, but if tuning the spring/buffer isn't going to work, I'd like to know before I "permanently" attach the flashhider.

Thanks in advance.

Delixe, Whew, there are a good number of moving parts in the answer to your question. I can get into the details but lets see if I can cut to the end reel for you.
Every suppressor works at a different internal pressure.....and THAT is dependent in no small part of the barrel length, rate of fire and round selection.
Lets set aside the last two and focus on the first one, the suppressor you are considering. Name it and lets see if anybody else is running it in your barrel configuration.
That....or just go with "a quality adjustable gas block is always the best option.
answer/.

Do it right and get that adjustable gas block before it's too late and the flash hider can't be removed. I run several different cans on many guns and they all pretty much become over gassed. You may be able to get it right with spring/buffer combo but it's so nice to be able to just dial an Allen on the block and be done. Plus they are fairly inexpense. I really like using the seekins low profile block.

swapping recoil springs and buffers is a band-aid fix to the problem of an over-gassed AR. fixing the over-gas issue at the source and you are money ahead, as well as time and headaches too.

I drill and tap my lo pro gas blocks and use a small set screw. #6 I think off the top of my head. Works pretty slick for me so far. I can run them wide open on a subsonic to help cycle the bolt or fully closed and run my side charger like a bolt gun and everything in between.

Most common AR's are over gassed WITHOUT a can , kind of a fix for cheap ammo letting the gun run.
In my opinion an adjustable gas block should be one of the first mods to an AR.

yes adjustable gas block. i also like the adams arms piston for my suppressed ar because it has a half gas for suppressed and full gas for unsuppressed.

After you pin that flash hider there will be no going back, so get the best available of exactly what you want.

The new SLR adjustable gas block is hands down the way to go in my opinion. You'll never regret it.

Thanks all.
Ordered an adjustable GB for the build.
Settled on a Syrac Ordinance.
Front adjustment, with a detented set screw... no lock screw.

Joe

I put one of these on my DDmk18 ( MicroMOA - Home of the Govnah - Modular Adjustable Gas Block ). It works great. Nothing to come loose and rebuild able. I can't recommend it highly enough. Two positions, so there is never an issue when shooting unsuppressed or suppressed. Just push the plate one way or the other. I've tried adjustable gas blocks that use set screws and find they never stay where I want them.

Reactions: EXSOCAL
I have 2x 14.5" AR's with mid length gas systems. I'm at work but my SOCOM 7.62 RC just got out of ATF jail so when I get home I'll be running it. I have PRI gas busters on both my rifles. I never had problems running a KAC suppressor on a 14.5" or 10" gun in the mil. Is my gun going to be over gassed? What is the solution? I'm a little late for an adjustable block. Appreciate the tips.