• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I need two 6.5 Creedmoor Rifles?

Familydude

Spending my kids’ paltry inheritance on hobbies
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 14, 2020
    California
    Got into the bolt action rifle thing just a few months ago. Prior to, I was a semi-auto guy. Bolt actions were for old dudes and hunters (I’m now enjoying my 50’s and just got my hunting license...) Started talking to a few coworkers much younger than I, who compete in 3-gun. The more I learned about distance shooting, the more my interest grew. Fast forward to today and I’m completely hooked. I’m by no means accomplished but do enjoy a day at the range. I hope to compete some day. I continue to learn and appreciate the knowledge on the Hide to include the training videos. It’s a great community to be a part of for many reasons.

I’ve purchased a few things and sold others to keep my costs as reasonable as I can. I typically suffer from sellers remorse however, and find myself replacing half of the things I felt I didn’t need, because everyone needs more than one of that thing. Whatever that thing might be.

I recently sold a Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor, SPUHR mount, Atlas bipod, Vortex Razor HD 4.5-27 EBR7C. I replaced it with one in the same caliber: Origin action, Shilen SS Heavy Palma, TT Primary, MPA BA Comp, same bipod, scope and mount as the Tikka.

After reading countless posts on the Hide and saving some pennies, I purchased a barreled action from Altus. Impact Precision 737, Bartlien Heavy Palma, TT Primary. It will go in the same style chassis.

Having read several of the countless reviews on here, I’d love to get a great scope. Looking at Nightforce’s ATACR and ZCO’s 5-27 however, I’m at a point where I’ve run out of things I’m prepared to sell and the the things I’ll part with aren’t very desirable (a 9mm AR. It’ll die on the PX).

So, do I sell the Origin 6.5 Creed and have one, in my opinion, lights out rifle to include scope, or keep both of them and grab something like a gently used Kahles 5-25 or Leupold 5-25 PR2?

I know this seems ridiculous, but I’ve been racking my brain over it. Like really.

Thanks for the time and any input.

I like to have two short actions around, not necessarily in the same caliber though. I have a 6.5 and a 7 saum right now, and a 308 barrel as well.

Too many fun calibers to mess with to only have one action for me.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you why you need even more, and they aren't wrong. 😆

Reactions: Familydude
    I'd keep them both. I have way to many bolt actions. But I don't want to part with them as I do have sellers remorse and usually find my self in a situation wishing I had whatever I sold back. Shooting is a awesome sport and its even better doing it with good people. Its always nice to have a spare rifle for when you bring a friend along who isn't into shooting. Rifles are also tools that get warn out. When ones off getting rebarreled or worked on you can still enjoy your other rifle.

Depends...

I easily talked myself into building a 6th rifle in 6.5C before I realized I had issues. I have the money and my safe is huge so it was not irresponsible as much as I just “wanted” another one that’s different. I think I’m down to 16”, 18” Carbonfiber, and a 22” and a AR thats 18”. The scopes get expensive fast...my wife thinks it’s a healthier hobby than Blow and Hookers and it’s keeps me around the house more! I sold a 20” and a 24” I think of them every now and then.

I try to sell stuff before I buy more...as far as scopes I have had a lot and spend way more than I need to get the job done. I try and buy the best value with being realistic of what I really need and use. I try and keep my scopes below $2000...so many great products out.

Keep em both! I was in the same scenario. Now i have 3 Impact actions that i use on separate 223, 6.5CM and 6GT rifles with each having an optic. While one would have been sufficient to swap different prefit barrels, sometimes its easier to jus grab the calber u wanna shoot that day and head out the door. Dont tell my wife. She thinks its the same rifle i keep bringing out. 😂

I have two 6.5 CM. One has 1:7.5 twist rate and shoots heavies and the other is 1:8 twist rate and shoots 130s. They are both 18" barrels. I plan on getting the Snipers Hide APO rifle in the future, especially after talking to APO yesterday, I will get that in a 22" barrel. I plan on shooting out the 1:7.5 18" barrel as I have a 1000 of the 150 SMK, 300 140 A Max, and 700 SMK 140. I figure it will take about 6 months with my schedule to get 3000 rounds through it. I will say after I get the SH APO rifle I will probably sell the actions at a loss and I plan on re-barreling a FN SPR action I have in .260 to 6.5CM after I shoot that barrel out.

So, I say you can have two rifles the same caliber.

I have two 6.5 CM. One has 1:7.5 twist rate and shoots heavies and the other is 1:8 twist rate and shoots 130s. They are both 18" barrels. I plan on getting the Snipers Hide APO rifle in the future, especially after talking to APO yesterday, I will get that in a 22" barrel. I plan on shooting out the 1:7.5 18" barrel as I have a 1000 of the 150 SMK, 300 140 A Max, and 700 SMK 140. I figure it will take about 6 months with my schedule to get 3000 rounds through it. I will say after I get the SH APO rifle I will probably sell the actions at a loss and I plan on re-barreling a FN SPR action I have in .260 to 6.5CM after I shoot that barrel out.

So, I say you can have two rifles the same caliber.
    You mentioned ammo. Availability could be another factor to consider I would guess.

short answer yes you do . long answer : Its gods favorite round . You want god happy don't you ? Shooting 6.5 creedmoor outside and you can see gods happiness in the form of rainbows in the sky . All joking aside , you only need what ever it is you want .:giggle:
    covet not thy neighbor's firearms but drool slobber and get your own . then start the process all over again .

Last edited:
    Yes you do. I own 3. No idea why, but I’m not mad about it. All I know is this site constantly has me looking to buy new shit that I don’t need. Yet here I am still everyday, like a crack feign
    Exactly. The Hide has been a love/hate thing for sure. Addictive without doubt.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
    Exactly. The Hide has been a love/hate thing for sure. Addictive without doubt.

And we haven't even started talking about the long action game. I've found the limiting factor for me on how many actions I have is the number of scopes I can afford to have around. Can't stand to have a precision rifle without an optic on it.

I currently have 2 short action bolt guns. A 6.5 Creed on a surgeon action with a carbon and a steel barrel and a 6 dasher on an impact action with a heavy profile steel barrel.
    The 6.5 with steel barrel is my old match rifle and it's still good but relegated to practice/back up use. I mostly run it with the carbon barrel now as a hunting rifle.
    The 6 Dasher is my heavy weight match rifle.

Personally I wouldn't have 2 separate guns of the same caliber unless they are for different uses (light hunting rifle vs. heavy match rifle)

For bolt guns that have loads worked up for them, I like to have only one in said caliber. Basically if you're shooting factory ammo its a moot point but for someone who has a load that's tuned to a rifle I don't keep good enough track of what's in the ammo box and I have no desire to be that much more labeling intensive.. maybe sell one of the barrels and play with a new caliber, everyone can benefit from time behind a good old 308, or you could have fun with a 6 dasher or 6 BR.

Got into the bolt action rifle thing just a few months ago. Prior to, I was a semi-auto guy. Bolt actions were for old dudes and hunters (I’m now enjoying my 50’s and just got my hunting license...) Started talking to a few coworkers much younger than I, who compete in 3-gun. The more I learned about distance shooting, the more my interest grew. Fast forward to today and I’m completely hooked. I’m by no means accomplished but do enjoy a day at the range. I hope to compete some day. I continue to learn and appreciate the knowledge on the Hide to include the training videos. It’s a great community to be a part of for many reasons.

I’ve purchased a few things and sold others to keep my costs as reasonable as I can. I typically suffer from sellers remorse however, and find myself replacing half of the things I felt I didn’t need, because everyone needs more than one of that thing. Whatever that thing might be.

I recently sold a Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor, SPUHR mount, Atlas bipod, Vortex Razor HD 4.5-27 EBR7C. I replaced it with one in the same caliber: Origin action, Shilen SS Heavy Palma, TT Primary, MPA BA Comp, same bipod, scope and mount as the Tikka.

After reading countless posts on the Hide and saving some pennies, I purchased a barreled action from Altus. Impact Precision 737, Bartlien Heavy Palma, TT Primary. It will go in the same style chassis.

Having read several of the countless reviews on here, I’d love to get a great scope. Looking at Nightforce’s ATACR and ZCO’s 5-27 however, I’m at a point where I’ve run out of things I’m prepared to sell and the the things I’ll part with aren’t very desirable (a 9mm AR. It’ll die on the PX).

So, do I sell the Origin 6.5 Creed and have one, in my opinion, lights out rifle to include scope, or keep both of them and grab something like a gently used Kahles 5-25 or Leupold 5-25 PR2?

I know this seems ridiculous, but I’ve been racking my brain over it. Like really.

You can't go wrong with a Kahles

Supply your rifle addiction.
    Quitting is for losers.
    l3mZ1tEwRVDguq02Q.gif

I'd keep them both. Personally I'd opt to get the origin in a lighter setup, maybe a bravo chassis? Use it for positional stuff to crossover for hunting. I recently had a 22 creedmoor barrel spun up for predator hunting. Nice thing about the origin, you could run a smith barrel setup with shouldered prefits. 223 for prs style training, 6 or 22 creed for yote or rock chucks. I have same combo, and origin build and a impact, both in 25 creed. I'm truly not a huge fan of either action and am going to a Bat.
    Didn’t know non-fans of Impacts even existed!

• Haha
    Reactions: khuber84
    Toss the razor on the new toy and save for a new scope that you want.
    Hate waiting. Probably won't have a choice, like with the Impact. Felt like I waited for years on that. It would be the smartest thing, but not the most immediately gratifying, which is admittedly stupid. Plus, it’s not like the scopes I’m looking at are on the PX everyday for a steal.

Reactions: Smittiac
    Buy a good quality scope used. Save up and sell it when you get to a place where you can afford a zco.

Once upon a time, I had a cheap Savage that shot jsut fine. Never gave me a problem. With some tweaking it did everything I expected of it. But, it wasn’t a (name brand deleted to protect the innocent...which is ME) I pined for a (name brand deleted to protect the innocent.... which is ME). Guess what, my favorite gunshop had just what I wanted come in. So, I quickly divested myself of the little Savage that shot just fine and never gave me a problem and did everything I expected of it and RAN to the gunshop and purchased the (name brand deleted).

The Name brand deleted that I purchased was a piece of shit. When it was shooting to the left, adjusting the scope to make it shoot to the right, found it shooting MORE to the LEFT! Adjusting the scope to make it shoot to the left, made it shoot even more to the left. That is when it would group well enough to determine just where one might want to change the scope settings. This was with the scope that was mounted on the Savage.

Nothing would make the (name brand deleted) group. Finally, after numerous trials, swapping every major component that was swapable, spending a small fortune trying to make it shoot well, I made one final trip to the range. I was shooting at a target with it at 50 yards from a very secure shooting position. Three shots, three misses. I grabbed my reliable old Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum, stood on my hind legs like a man and hit that target two of three times. My son, who was shooting with me said “Dad, don’t spend another penny on that gun.”

Fortune shone on my less than wise self. I was able to reaquire the cheap Savage. Mounted the scope that was on the (name brand deleted) and it again did what it always did, hit targets aimed at, shot consistently and responded to any change in settings as expected

The moral of this long story. If you have one that does what is expected and is more than good enough, DON’T sell it get another. The other might be a flop. Flop’s happen, even with well known name brands. If you pine for another, keep the one you got, and get the other. Firearms are like bicycles anyway. The correct formula to determine the number needed is N+1. (Where N is the number a fellow or lady already owns). Of course one must be aware of the other equation, D-1= the correct number of firearms owned. (D stands for Divorce).

And of course, this story does NOT apply to wives. ONE IS ENOUGH! (Having more than one seriously detracts from one’s ability to afford firearms or bicycles)

Last edited:
    Keep both. Not sure if you know but the bolt face on the Origin can be changed and you can make it a .223 bolt faced cartridge or even a short magnum. So you can keep it a Creedmoor now and as a back up but then later just get a prefit barrel and boltface and make it something else or just a prefit if it's a .308 boltfaced cartridge.

Once upon a time, I had a cheap Savage that shot jsut fine. Never gave me a problem. With some tweaking it did everything I expected of it. But, it wasn’t a (name brand deleted to protect the innocent...which is ME) I pined for a (name brand deleted to protect the innocent.... which is ME). Guess what, my favorite gunshop had just what I wanted come in. So, I quickly divested myself of the little Savage that shot just fine and never gave me a problem and did everything I expected of it and RAN to the gunshop and purchased the (name brand deleted).

The Name brand deleted that I purchased was a piece of shit. When it was shooting to the left, adjusting the scope to make it shoot to the right, found it shooting MORE to the LEFT! Adjusting the scope to make it shoot to the left, made it shoot even more to the left. That is when it would group well enough to determine just where one might want to change the scope settings. This was with the scope that was mounted on the Savage.

Nothing would make the (name brand deleted) group. Finally, after numerous trials, swapping every major component that was swapable, spending a small fortune trying to make it shoot well, I made one final trip to the range. I was shooting at a target with it at 50 yards from a very secure shooting position. Three shots, three misses. I grabbed my reliable old Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum, stood on my hind legs like a man and hit that target two of three times. My son, who was shooting with me said “Dad, don’t spend another penny on that gun.”

Fortune shone on my less than wise self. I was able to reaquire the cheap Savage. Mounted the scope that was on the (name brand deleted) and it again did what it always did, hit targets aimed at, shot consistently and responded to any change in settings as expected

The moral of this long story. If you have one that does what is expected and is more than good enough, DON’T sell it get another. The other might be a flop. Flop’s happen, even with well known name brands. If you pine for another, keep the one you got, and get the other. Firearms and like bicycles anyway. The correct formula to determine the number needed is N+1. (Where N is the number a fellow or lady already owns). Of course one must be aware of the other equation, D-1= the correct number of firearms owned. (D stands for Divorce).

And of course, this story does NOT apply to wives. ONE IS ENOUGH! (Having more than one seriously detracts from one’s ability to afford firearms or bicycles)
    Sound advice. Still with my first wife who’s “mostly” supportive of all this.

after reading thru looks as if Im alone in this regard. Id rather have 1 of the best than 2 that arent. So if I were you, Id build one super rifle. with a badass TT or Zco on top. Theres always more stuff to buy in the precision world for that one rifle with the money you saved. RRS tripod. Raptar range finder. better bipod. quality transit case. dope ass pvs27 from sureshot. etc. once again just my opinion and what I do with my collection. Once rifle 1 is best it can be look to rifle 2.

Keep both. Not sure if you know but the bolt face on the Origin can be changed and you can make it a .223 bolt faced cartridge or even a short magnum. So you can keep it a Creedmoor now and as a back up but then later just get a prefit barrel and boltface and make it something else or just a prefit if it's a .308 boltfaced cartridge.
    I’ve looked into this for sure. Actually installed the remage barrel to specs on my Origin. I have a decent amount of Hornady 140 ELDm. The current ammo situation gives me pause when considering another caliber. At least for now. Have a decent .308 I use as well.