• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DO i really need a Kestrel?

Does a Kestrel gather atmospherics without need of a signal? That would be a big motivator for me to buy one in case I was somewhere without cell service.

I also wonder why 4DOF isn't offered in the EliteX?
If you mean without internet/cellular the answer is yes, the sensors are part of the Kestrel.

Reactions: FredHammer
A ballistic app tells you what the drift is for your bullet in inches/mils/moa/whatever...u can adjust the wind values and look once you have your BC trued up

the problem is the wind isn’t constant or consistent... so even tho you know what the “theoretical” drift should be, it won’t always match...there are even apps u can put in various wind zones, but how accurately can u measure them? Unless you’re rockin real time lidar, you’re just taking single points of reference and making the best guess

the range/terrain conditions you shoot in will also skew how accurate your inputs are
View attachment 7302844

the red circle below is inches...you can adjust the wind values from the first pic to 1 mph for the entire 0-1000 yds and it’ll tell you how much it drifts @ any range for that 1mph

What app is this?

It depends. I wouldn't keep yourself from shooting without a kestrel or Weatherflow. You can manually input enviromentals from someone elses Kestrel/Weatherflow or local station into whatever ballistics app you have. Obviously the conditions at your exact location would be better and that's what you get with the Kestrel/Weatherflow.

All major ballistics apps minus the AB app allow the user to connect any Kestrel with link or Weatherflow.

A huge benefit to having a Kestrel/Weatherflow is you can start to "calibrate" yourself on what X MPH wind feel like without having the tool out.

A 5700 Kestrel with link and the Hornady 4DOF app using 4DOF bullet profiles is my go to.