• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Do I really need to bed my Manners stock???

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
I usually run a chasis of some sort in comps and such, so I have never needed to bed my rifles.

Well I am happy to have a Manners T4 here. It will have seekins bottom metal.

Do I really need to bed the rifle, or will it be fine just bolting and shooting?

I have never bedded a rifle and hate paying $100 or whatever it would cost.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Jake

Re: Do I really need to bed my Manners stock???

I think you do but it's not difficult and there a are ton of videos showing you how.

L

What is the rest of the setudp? I didn't think you could without it being bed. I would say that bedding it would be a great investment. I have pulled my bolt guns out of the stock, worked on them, put them back in the stock, put a round in it and get 1st round contact at 1000 yds. So, I think bedding it provides so much stability and consistancy. Good luck, if you don't and just shoot it let me know because I have 2 rifles that have been waitng on a bedding job for a while.

It is a Stiller long action, Rock creek AMU barrel. 338 Edge, RWS muzzle brake, timney trigger, seekins 338 lapua bottom metal, manners T4A stock.

Yes, if you did not order it with the mini chasis, then the proper thing to do is bed it. The reason you've been told to shoot it as is, is because they know there is a difference. I don't really know of any good quality builder that would not bed a stock that is not a chasis system.

All that nice stuff and no bedding? What's another couple hundred bucks tops?

Just send me the parts to my P.O. box and I will do it for half that. Make sure it has a new S and B with it. Seriously, just do it and never wonder about What could have been.

Bed it. It's really not that hard. It might not look as good as mr. dixons bedding jobs but it will get the job done. Or put it in a chassis system.

You're gonna spend that kind of money and not bed it? And with that 338 it may be tight now but it may not be after a few hundred rounds.

L

Might get away with a 223 unbedded. 338 definately needs bedding or you will have that stock wallowed out in no time.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a Stiller long action, Rock creek AMU barrel. 338 Edge, RWS muzzle brake, timney trigger, seekins 338 lapua bottom metal, manners T4A stock. </div></div> That sounds like a nice set up. We always recommend that the pillars that come with the stock get installed and at least add bedding behind the lug area especially a 338 edge. On a build like you have I would do a full stress free bed job to get the most out of your setup. Give me a buzz and I can walk you through how to atleast bed the lug, it is easy to do. Thank you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have never bedded a rifle and hate paying $100 or whatever it would cost.
</div></div>

All that $$ you already have wrapped up in that rifle to get the most precision out of it and spending $100 to get it professionally bedded is putting a bad taste in your mouth?!? OK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thomas Manners</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give me a buzz and I can walk you through how to atleast bed the lug, it is easy to do. Thank you </div></div>

^ there we go.

Or reference the Bedding Stickies up top. I used them when preparing to bed, even though I knew what I needed to do, just for my own peace of mind. Plenty of good info to help you along!

Jake just hand it off to Chris or Ron at the net shoot and I'm sure they can take care of you. If you don't like paying for it, buy a cheapo stock off somebody and practice. Theres a thread on here that will give you a step by step proces with pics I belive...

THe money is really not whats stopping me. I have not a problem in the world paying for a bed job, just wanted to find out if it was really neccessary, which it sounds like it is. SO, I will make it happen.

I have always had the Manners Mini-chasis to bolt right on to, But, wanted the longer seekins mags to use this go around,

Pillar bed here we come!!!

I reworked a Manners T4/A that someone decided "it's a good fit, I don't need to bed it" and he put about 150rds of 7 WSM through it with the pillars just floating in the stock and everything clamped up.

When I got it he was having "issues, I think the barrel is shot out already"

The recoil had turned the front pillar hole into a "naked eye" discernable oval, the recoil lug cut was squished and flaking away, and most of the recoil was being transferred into the rear hole... no wonder it shot lousy.

Just pay the money and get the job done right. With the money you have invested in the rifle, this is a very good lesson that everyone learns the hard way one time or another:

"I was trying to save money and didn't know what I didn't know. It cost me 5x's as much to fix it as the job done right would have cost"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I reworked a Manners T4/A that someone decided "it's a good fit, I don't need to bed it" and he put about 150rds of 7 WSM through it with the pillars just floating in the stock and everything clamped up.

When I got it he was having "issues, I think the barrel is shot out already"

The recoil had turned the front pillar hole into a "naked eye" discernable oval, the recoil lug cut was squished and flaking away, and most of the recoil was being transferred into the rear hole... no wonder it shot lousy.

Just pay the money and get the job done right. With the money you have invested in the rifle, this is a very good lesson that everyone learns the hard way one time or another:

"I was trying to save money and didn't know what I didn't know. It cost me 5x's as much to fix it as the job done right would have cost"

</div></div>

This is what I was getting at. This is not the kind of lesson anyone that knows better should be setting you up for by suggesting you shoot it first without bedding it. Especially on something as high quality as a Manners stock which cost you so much, and took so long to get.

That's the kind of advise you give someone so when they damage their equipment, they will have to bring it to that specialized guy for repairs, plus the cost of the original job.

Well I am going to try to bed this thing myself. No time to learn like now!!!

Where is the best place to get some devcon? can I buy it in small quantities or do I have to buy the whole jug of it?

Devcon from brownells, or MSC, marine Tex from brownells or local Marina or boat shop. Probed 2000 fro score high gunsmithing. All of these do fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I am going to try to bed this thing myself. No time to learn like now!!!

Where is the best place to get some devcon? can I buy it in small quantities or do I have to buy the whole jug of it? </div></div>

You can buy a small tube of it from Midway.

Devcon at the hardware store is my best suggestion but you can use just about any good epoxy product in a pinch. Just make sure to use LOTS of release agent and TAPE OFF EVERYTHING you don't want to get bedding compound on! Easy enough job but prep is the key! once again, TAPE OFF EVERYTHING!! I speak from experience on my first bedding job....a story for another day..

jcvibby I just bedded my first rifle a month or so ago. It came out fine I used silly putty in the trigger area and 2 coats of kiwi neutral shoe polish on the action as these were available locally, Devcon 10110 I was nervous to do it to a custom rifle that I had so much $ into. Just take your time and it will be fine I used the thread on here that Roscoe from Louisiana Precision Rifles started. It was Manners T2A stock.

I forgot to mention I have used Marine tex on other things and thought the Devcon mixed up better, not that there is anything wrong with Marine tex.

you will achieve more accuracy with bedding

My Manners T4 shot better being bedded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jay foxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you will achieve more accuracy with bedding</div></div>

+1

I owned/shot an unbedded rifle in an A5 stock for a year or more before bedding it.

I got half MOA accuracy but I noticed it would shift POI and group size would open up after 100-200 rounds. Then Id have to drop the stock, and put it back together. Then everything would shrink back down and be good again for another 100-200 rounds.

I did this about 4x, going through about 800 rounds before bedding it. I did this all as a test.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ALL inconstancies went away entirely after bedding.</span>

After bedding is hasnt changed POI or group size in 2000 rounds.

So I don't believe just because an unbedded rifle shoots great on one outing, it means it will every time after.