• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I resize new Lapua brass?

Re: Do I resize new Lapua brass?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kenmack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wonderin' as I have some .308 comin'.</div></div>

you shouldn't have to, just deburr and dechamfer and load, some of the necks may have some dings so i would just run the sizer about half way to get the neck back to spec on those that are visibly dinged or dented on the case neck.

hope this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sins4u33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kenmack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wonderin' as I have some .308 comin'.</div></div>

you shouldn't have to, just deburr and dechamfer and load, some of the necks may have some dings so i would just run the sizer about half way to get the neck back to spec on those that are visibly dinged or dented on the case neck.

hope this helps </div></div>

^^ This, every set I have bought of Lapua has been spot on every time, I didnt even Deburr. Load and Go.

I do it just the get the neck tension consistent with the subsequent loadings. Other wise, no.

6.5x47

Took out 50 new 308 cases last week, had to fix a couple dings in the necks, didn't touch them besides that and was shooting 1000 yds at a 2x2 steel plate. Ringing it like a gong!

Don't touch them, just use em!

Reactions: Thriller

I run mine through a light neck sizer to get it straight and then debur.

I also neck size and debur.
smile.gif

I run an expander mandrel in the necks to get them sized properly and consistently. Then I run them through my trimmer - adjusted not to shorten them but just to chamfer them and get rid of any roughness on the tip of the rim. I also do the other brass prep - uniform primer pockets and deburr the flash hole.

I tried resizing the first batch of Lapua I bought but the die wasn't even touching the body. They are at or under minimum specs the way they come.

The neck tension of new Lapua brass is too tight. Use an expander mandrel before using.

Another vote here for just running the expander through the neck. Is use a Sinclair and it makes sure that all my necks are nice and round as well as giving me even neck tensions.

It's one of those "I don't have to" tasks, it's just that "I want to".

Check the flash hole size too. My Lapua Grendel brass always has flash holes that I need to uniform before use. They have what I consider to be quite a large difference. A one sixteenth inch drill bit solves things easily though.

Thanks all. I suppose, being the detail oriented person that I am, I'll run the steps just to be delighted in the quality of the Lapua brass and to familiarize myself with the equipment and procedures since this will be my first reload.

I began sizing new brass a long time ago. It may not be necessary, with some brands but I like the consistency, and have never noticed a negative associated with doing so?
BB

I decided to try it both ways. But I've got too many variables in play at this point.

I resize new brass.

That brass gets tossed around, dropped on pallets, vibrates in a packing box on the train/truck/UPS delivery van and I like to take out the minor variations induced thereby with a full-length sizing operation (and a one-time uniforming of the primer pockets). Load, fire, clean, anneal, resize, trim, repeat.

YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The neck tension of new Lapua brass is too tight. Use an expander mandrel before using. </div></div>

ive noticed this too

i run all my new brass through a die, to get any of the dings out of some the necks and keep neck tension uniform from the start

I don't see why you shouldn't neck size new brass. What about dented case mouths, as well as questionable neck tension?

I tried loading & shooting some new Lapua 260 brass...way too much neck tension resulted in excessive pressure signs.

FL sized the rest of the lot (just for the sake of experimentation) and pressure signs went away.

Neck size only for the first firing. I too have found most if not all new brass to be very inconsistent on neck tension.

I didn't do anything with the .308 brass except run a couple through the neck sizer that had dinged necks. Apart from that, I just loaded and shot and was very happy with the results.

I like to dip the bullet's base into Imperial Dry Neck Lube for the first loading to ease seating tension.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried loading & shooting some new Lapua 260 brass...way too much neck tension resulted in excessive pressure signs.

FL sized the rest of the lot (just for the sake of experimentation) and pressure signs went away. </div></div>

I have noticed this too. Inside new neck is about 0.260", pretty tight. So I graphite lube the neck and run it through a collet die to stretch it to 0.262".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried loading & shooting some new Lapua 260 brass...way too much neck tension resulted in excessive pressure signs.

FL sized the rest of the lot (just for the sake of experimentation) and pressure signs went away. </div></div>That one you'll have to explain. The neck tension of Lapua factory brass caused you excessive pressure?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">]That one you'll have to explain. The neck tension of Lapua factory brass caused you excessive pressure? </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2796051

All I know is the pressure signs I experienced on the first group of loads in new Lapua brass completely went away after I FL sized the rest of the lot prior to first loading.

Peace. It's hard to determine cause and effect unless we control all the variables. There's a lot going on inside a rifle chamber at ignition. My apprehension is simply that bullet tension averages around 50-60 lbs compared to around 54,000 psi of peak chamber pressure. There's more to the story...

I just run the expander through the neck to release the excessive neck tension and go.