• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do it all backpack

D Richardson

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I'm looking for a good pack for multiple uses. I know, usually things like this are dependent on what you using it for, but I'm hoping I can find one really nice pack that can pull multiple duty. Looking to use it primarily for precision rifle matches and range time mostly. In the long run I'm wanting to shoot some of the more physically demanding matches like Mammoth, or the Bushnell sniper challenge. Realistacly I won't be shooting those in the class where I camp
overnight, so that much storage isn't needed. Just a comfortable day use pack for lots of miles.

Also what are you thoughts on a gun bearing pack as opposed to a good quality sling. I like the idea of a gun pack, but having never used one I'm not sure how comfortable or convenient they actually are.

Thanks for any help.

I can easily recommend the eberlestock Gunslinger. The Lo Drag II is also a solid choice that is a bit smaller.

Full disclosure I do have a relationship with the company but that doesn’t change my recommendation. They are solid packs.

I have the eberlestock fac track I relally like the ability to organize with the extra pockets it offers

Reactions: smokeon
eberlestock is pretty solid. I haven’t put a ton of miles on the lo drag yet but my initial impressions are very good for an all around pack. It’s comfortable, plenty of room for my hunting gear and the scabbard works great.

I have an eberlestock operator g4. I love the pack, probably the most comfortable I’ve had. The only thing I don’t like with the gun scabbard is that it puts the other contents in the pack that much further from your body. If you Have a use for the scabbard often, that isn’t an issue.

Reactions: culater
I have the Eberlestock Lo Drag and it is pretty good. The shoulder straps and waistbelt are pretty "light duty" in my opinion. I also run a mystery ranch pack for my backpack hunting, and I wish I could find a hybrid between the two. I like the Eberlestock scabbard inside the pack, they are just lacking on the suspension part of the frame. Kifaru makes this one: https://www.extremestore.us/kifaru-long-range-hunter-pack-full-system/

Looks pretty heavy duty, and not what I would call cheap...

Lots of fine choices if you only plan on light loads and only a few miles. The above mentioned options will do fine.
If you need to carry heavier loads or longer distances look at Kifaru or similar frame packs

Hill people gear would be a great choice. They're a common choice for things like the sniper adventure challenge

Has anyone experimented with camera backpacks? They have the organization that I want. Lowepro has several offerings that look tempting.

I have no need for a gun baring pack.

You will of you shoot Mammoth but if you are just looking for a gear carrier then just make sure it has enough room.

Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault.
Tri zip is great for access. Personally much more comfortable for a long day packing when compared to the mentioned Eberlestock packs. My wife has used the LowDrag since it was introduced. she loves it, but the zipper on the bottom section is a pita, always binds on the collar around the pocket. The gun pocket is great for tripods as well as the rifle... It is a great feature.
Try the Eberlestock for fit, the low drag does not fit me, at 6-2.

Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault.
Tri zip is great for access. Personally much more comfortable for a long day packing when compared to the mentioned Eberlestock packs. My wife has used the LowDrag since it was introduced. she loves it, but the zipper on the bottom section is a pita, always binds on the collar around the pocket. The gun pocket is great for tripods as well as the rifle... It is a great feature.
Try the Eberlestock for fit, the low drag does not fit me, at 6-2.

Good to know about the height issue. I'm 6'5" with a long torso so this may be an issue as well. Been looking at some of the mystery ranch packs. Look nice but I wish there was a retailer close to try some at. Lots of money to spend on something you don't know if it will work for you.

Last edited:
I use a Eberlestock Lowdrag for range days or 1 day spot and stalk hog hunting. Small and modular enough to fit my needs. I use the Gunslinger 2 for extended hunting/camping trips. I've seen and played with the more expensive packs. I'm sure someone that lives out of them can justify the even more extreme price (eberlestock and cheap), but I can't. I did hate the original gunslinger and sold it the day it came in. My fault, I hate top loader packs. So when the gunslinger 2 came out i jumped on it. FYI Eberlestock as multiple dealer discount sales throughout the year. So a little time googling 5 minutes a week can cave you a lot on Eberlestock.

+1 for the Mystery Ranch 3-Day. Tons of room, the trip zip design makes gear access easy and its comfy when loaded up.

Every camera bag I have every tried are heavy compared to cubic inch of space. I have a gunslinger, which is very heavy but with a whole lot more space. The ways you access the gunslinger makes it a hole lot easier to find stuff as compared to a normal stuff style hiking backpack.

I have a Kuiu Icon Pro frame and a couple of different bags for different purposes. You can swap out the bag pretty easily depending what you need to do. I have a meat sling, 1850 in^3 and 5200 size bags.

I mostly use the 1850 for a daypack/range work or day hunts. The Kuiu has a stiff carbon fiber frame and the ability to adjust to fit my torso (6'4"). I've used the 5200 size pack for backpacking. and have used the meat sling or 1850 adjusted out to carry cut up deer and elk. The waist and shoulder pads are pretty comfy even with a heavy load. Downside is there is no good way to attach rifle. The water bottle holder works pretty great to hold a tripod though.

+1 for Eberlestock FAC.
I also have the Mystery Ranch 3 day assault and prefer the FAC...more comfortable IMHO.
Both are adjust for tall dudes...

I have an eberlestock lodrag and have been using it for a few years and it works, but not my favorite pack. The internal organization is not awesome and the zippers bind on the pockets unless you’re careful When I zip them closed. It’s OK, and it works for my infrequent use. If I was looking for a more ice pack I would probably look at mystery ranch or Kifaru.

Question for anyone with the first generation gunslinger, is the top half of the rifle scabbard removable like the gen 2 version. I like the more minimalist style of the gun runner but think I'll probably need more space than that. There are some good deals on the gen 1 slinger and the runner, and a fairly significant step up to the gen 2 slinger.

Look at some of the Mystery Ranch hunting or Mil hauling packs. Be wary of too big of a bag, as you'll load yourself down if there's space available.

I used the Pintler at Mammoth this year and recommend it, although the new Sawtooth 45 looks to be an even better option. Alternatively, I'm also an Arcteryx bag guy, liking the Assault 45 or 60 depending on what you're carrying. The MRs have a better frame for long distance and lots of weight, but I've used the Arc stuff for several shorter days (only a few miles/day) without issue.

Reactions: D Richardson
Look at some of the Mystery Ranch hunting or Mil hauling packs. Be wary of too big of a bag, as you'll load yourself down if there's space available.

I used the Pintler at Mammoth this year and recommend it, although the new Sawtooth 45 looks to be an even better option. Alternatively, I'm also an Arcteryx bag guy, liking the Assault 45 or 60 depending on what you're carrying. The MRs have a better frame for long distance and lots of weight, but I've used the Arc stuff for several shorter days (only a few miles/day) without issue.

When you used the pintler, did you carry you rifle with a sling or strap it to the pack somehow? That model was one of the ones I was looking at closely.

Originally we looked at strapping into the inside, but found we could strap it to the outside and balance the load a little better.. but that was with a 13lb gun, not a 20lb rifle. A folding stock rifle on the inside carriage area is perfect, and I saw another team doing that.

I have a 511. It is not waterproof. In heavy rain it will keep gear inside dry for 5 minutes -barely water resistant. If you are a weekend sunny day You Tube warrior, a 511 is for you. If you hunt, hike, or shoot precision rifle in weather, a 511 will fail you. On a hunting trip two years ago it rained hard all morning. Then the temperature dropped. The water soaked into my new pack and everything froze. My binos, ammo, and spare gloves, were covered in ice. My $15. Walmart backpack that I use for the gym is equally capable of protecting my gear from the elements. I need a new pack. It will not be a 511. Money wasted.

Bang

Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 with the frame (removable) is where it is at for hiking, range trips, etc. I've used the Phantom (too big for normal use), Gunslinger (its great but the 2 is the better version), and Low Drag (small and internal organization is a pain in the ass).

Best thing about the 2 is that you can run it with or without the metal frame and with/without the rifle and not worry about being able to synch it down tight. You can sometimes find em used from 100-200 bucks either on here or Facebook Marketplace. I think I snagged mine a while back for like 125 or 150. It was a hell of a deal and made me sell off my GS1 lol.

I never had the chance of picking up a Mystery Ranch pack, but I've hard great things about them.

As for a sling, the SS Loophole Sling is where it is at and more covers what you'd need/want in a sling.

I wouldn’t recommend the Mystery Ranch 3-day assault pack. They are expensive, not bombproof like many claim - mine and someone else’s both started to fall apart after day-1 of the SHC, they are heavy and the belt is useless (but at least can be tucked away).

If I buy again I will try the Arcteryx Khard.

Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 with the frame (removable) is where it is at for hiking, range trips, etc. I've used the Phantom (too big for normal use), Gunslinger (its great but the 2 is the better version), and Low Drag (small and internal organization is a pain in the ass).

Best thing about the 2 is that you can run it with or without the metal frame and with/without the rifle and not worry about being able to synch it down tight. You can sometimes find em used from 100-200 bucks either on here or Facebook Marketplace. I think I snagged mine a while back for like 125 or 150. It was a hell of a deal and made me sell off my GS1 lol.

I never had the chance of picking up a Mystery Ranch pack, but I've hard great things about them.

As for a sling, the SS Loophole Sling is where it is at and more covers what you'd need/want in a sling.
The new gunslinger 2 is even lighter. I have both slingers, the 2 is by far better but if you can get a hold of the original for cheap it’ll still do you right.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I had two Eberlestock packs before I got a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab in preparation for the mammoth. I'll never buy another Eberlestock pack.

To be fair, I never tried just throwing a rifle and some very basic shooting gear in there, because that's not what I needed it for. Maybe it'd be OK at that, but as a rifle carrying pack with sustainment gear in it they were terrible. Also, slipping the rifle in and out of the scabbard when the pack is loaded sucks tremendously. On top of that, when the rifle is in the pack carries very poorly.

A MR with a stick-it or a Hill People Gear with a pack bucket would be my suggestion.

I had two Eberlestock packs <snip>

Also, slipping the rifle in and out of the scabbard when the pack is loaded sucks tremendously. On top of that, when the rifle is in the pack carries very poorly.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yes^^^

I know people want to look like an operator, but when I see those, especially at matches, that's NOT at all what I am thinking.. Plus the pack is HEAVY some are over 8lbs empty.. tell me that doesn't take a toll.. not to mention the extra effort to take the gun and the heavily loaded pack on and off at the same time, over and over..

There are several gun to pack systems that let you use the hip and harness support of your pack, yet easily remove the gun from a loaded pack, when slinging isn't comfortable.

Edited to add:
Packs with gun carry systems, that you can remove the gun with the loaded pack still on:

KUIU (as mentioned) has one of the lightest carbon framed offerings with a QR external gun carrier.. these packs are not meant to drive a truck over.. but they are capable of caring a bunch of weight comfortably. (my fav - 3day as I'd rather put the extra weight in my rifle) - they use a system called "Quick Draw Gun Holder"

Kifaru more robust than above.. overkill for me nice stuff and the have their "gun Bearers"

Mystery Ranch (as Mentioned) robust a bit heavy for me but good stuff they use what they call "quick draw sling"

If you really want the scabbard type carry, in a lighter better designed pack; look at how Vorn Equipment uses a hybride and Quick Release system

Vorn Equipment

Last edited:
I had two Eberlestock packs before I got a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab in preparation for the mammoth. I'll never buy another Eberlestock pack.

To be fair, I never tried just throwing a rifle and some very basic shooting gear in there, because that's not what I needed it for. Maybe it'd be OK at that, but as a rifle carrying pack with sustainment gear in it they were terrible. Also, slipping the rifle in and out of the scabbard when the pack is loaded sucks tremendously. On top of that, when the rifle is in the pack carries very poorly.

A MR with a stick-it or a Hill People Gear with a pack bucket would be my suggestion.

Is the stick-it enough to hold a rifle securely to the pack? I'm looking at possibly the mystery ranch pintler, or the teraframe.

Attachments

• 9F4E2518-C520-4A2B-B59C-5BC3315011CA.png
    9F4E2518-C520-4A2B-B59C-5BC3315011CA.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 106
Mystery Ranch with the NICE frame is what makes me hard. I have had the Kifaru and the Eberles. Several of each. And several MR packs.

The MR is on top for me. By far.

I’ve noticed people complaining about their packs and stuff inside getting wet. Every freaking tree hugging Sierra club snivler knows to put a two ounce pack cover on to keep their stuff dry. For gosh sakes.....

Stone Glacier Sky 5900 with the X-curve frame is my legit workhorse. Packed a whole deboned mule deer out with it this year and some elk quarters. When our and about in PA backwoods, I roll with a rifle in the meat shelf. It works, I can just reach back and pull my bolt gun out by the barrel. Is it super practical in a legit situation, no but a a couple seconds and it’s ready to go. I’m looking for a good fast pack for a tactical team application though.