• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do muzzle brakes affect accuracy???

aquinas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2010
Il
I know they are obnoxious and I hate shooting next to them. How do they affect accuracy?

Re: Do muzzle brakes affect accuracy???

A reduction in felt recoil often brings with it an improvement in shooter accuracy, but not rifle accuracy.

IMO, it can have an effect on barrel harmonics as well as how the spent gasses exit the barrel (ie turbulence).

I have a large variety of breaks and supressors that I have swapped out on various rifles, both semi and bolt action. Shooting paper from a bench rest can show subtle to significant differences.

A brake can and will change the harmonics on a barrel. However if installed correctly shouldn't effect potential accuracy. Since accuracy really boils down to harmonics swapping out different brakes while testing the same "test" load wouldn't show you the true answer to the question of does it shoot better or worse. You may have to change the load for the test. If so I think you'll find that the accuracy node may have changed slightly but the rifle still retains the same level of accuracy. If not there is a good chance something is off with the brake some where.

I was asked directly on a gov. contract if our brakes would make the system more accurate. My response was no. Their response was to send me a 2 page report that said it was. All that being said I still don't feel that a brake "will" make a rifle more accurate but it could change the harmonics to a point where it was viewed as being more accurate. The same question has been thrown around for years about suppressors. Some say they make a rifle more accurate. I would state that it could make a rifle with a given ammo more accurate if the node changed in a positive manner but could also affect it the opposite way.

The Big plus is that the more comfortable you are when you shoot the better you will shoot.

I swapped out my Smith Vortex flash hider for a Surefire brake and my AR is grouping much better - and it's lauder for anyone shooting next to me...
blush.gif

- It was close to impossible to find a load, or ammo, that it liked; Match ammo and surplus had the same spread. Was thinking about a new barrel.

Now it's much better and I'm on my way find a load. The Vortex is not going back on.

my 2c.