• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

do nickel plated bullets wear out barrels fast?

Re: do nickel plated bullets wear out barrels fast?

I doubt they are "nickel plated". I suspect some polymer tinted coating. I could be wrong. However, they did plate some with tin way back when. That is when the "lubricate" your bullet fad started. Only, back then they used grease...which got onto the chamber walls...with bad results. JMHO

I think he means nickel played brass, not bullets.

I have posted the same question here with no much of an answer about 1 year ago. But as much as I researched I believe nickel is only slight harder then copper.

Not actually nickel plated but Norma used to sell ( 20+ years ago) bullets which had a nickle/copper jacket. That jacket was said to wear barrels faster and was difficult to remove. Thats probably why no longer used. Thx---joe

Try running a search of the Hide for "cupronickel" or "DAG" (an ammo/mfg using those bullets in surplus 7.62 ammo) as search terms. There have been some good threads on the issue in the past.

Federal's relatively new Trophy Bonded Bear Claw ammunition does feature a nickle plated solid copper bullet. In the calibers that it is offered in, I doubt that you would want to shoot enough of them to cause any adverse effect to a rifle's bore.

Paul

thanks for the input, the federal trophy bonded is both case and bullet nickel plated. They say to reduce fouling but what foul there is must probably be hard to get out and possibly wear a barrel faster from it being a harder substance then copper too bad they shoot tight groups in my gun. here is a link on federals shell aparently
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF7bbTfo9IY