• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Do people actually use their slings when shooting precision rifle?

Andy T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Northeast
My question is brought on by watching 8541 Tactical's Precision match footage. In all the footage that I saw, there are people with slings attached to the rifles, or even without a sling (Jonh didn't have one) shooting in stages. Granted, majority of footage showed them shooting supported off a bi pod, but wouldn't a sling help in that position too?
Yet I read about the value of slings and their proper usage, but when "rubber meets the road" - people don't use them. Was that because it was against the rules or people simply don't know/ don't want to use it? Personally, while I do have one, I also almost never use it when shooting.

Thats a great question, Hopefully somebody will chime in on this as I was thinking the same thing, I have a TIS Quick Cuff and its never been used lol.

I used a sling once during a PRS match. I didn't have a tripod to support the rear of the rifle so I kinda slung up to make up for that. It was from a kneeling position off a barricade.

I have shot a ASC match and we were required to sling up and shoot a stage as well. So I guess it just depends on what they want to do during the match and if it is practicle during the time frame.

Most of the time my rifle just gets carried with it though. :)

almost everyone utilizes a sling for shooting in unsupported positions (standing, kneeling, sitting and unsupported prone). It really locks the rifle up tight to your body and is much more stable than without it. I don't see any reason for using one while shooting prone off a bipod. Also at our local matches and the PRS matches it is very nice to sling my 16# rifle on my shoulder instead of carrying the dang thing across the county between stages.

Yes and No is your answer.

If a match is set up with very weird barricades or shooting spots and/or a tripod isn't allowed then being able to properly use a sling is going to be to your advantage. It comes down to a weight vs utilization aspect. Your sling weighs next to nothing and is multi-purpose. It's great to know how to use it if needed because chances are, its going to be there with you 100% of the time. While it's not the best thing for shooting positions, its better than nothing. Whereas the bipod on your rifle, tripod, something to hang the tripod onto and your shooting saddle all add up to some weight; but in an instance where you need them, they are easier to utilize.

If you're limited to what you can use it's more valuable. If you have the option to pick your terrain and/or pick your shot then your other equipment will serve you better.

I'll be honest, I know how to use a sling but prefer a bipod or tripod. It has come in handy a few times on weird downhill shots where a bipod would have made things worse and a tripod would have taken forever to set up properly.

I use it more than most people I shoot with but yes its mainly just for positional shooting so it depends how much positional there is in a match. The sling is nice to carry a bag too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

slings are a fairly under-utilized asset these days to the point where a lot of new rifleman have no idea how to employ it in a basic manner let alone in a practical situation. there a benefits in most positions to having a sling available for added stability.

not my photos:

319555_176332589109114_802143481_n.jpg

313519_176332522442454_1415015610_n_2013-12-16.jpg

i don't think it is a matter of what people do as to what the COULD or SHOULD be doing. the sling is just another tool in your box, no sense in discounting that.

Yes I use mine and in matches where a stage may forbid bipod or tripod use, etc. I also use it for hunting. I use a standard loop sling and avoid tactical slings which don't usually work well for loop sling shooting in my experience.

This weekend in fact I took a 200 yard kill from tall tussock grass. The only way I could have been stable enough to do it was using a loop sling in a kneeling position. There was no way to go prone and shoot off a pack, etc. My hunting partner couldn't get stable enough to make the shot, but he wasn't using a sling. After this weekend he wants to learn...

Last edited:
If needing to transition to pistol, best to have one. I have needed mine for this and offhand, no barricade. I am too slow to employ it if on a prop of some form.

Seems to me that most tactical matches I've been to have too much time pressure to make great use of the sling. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but the length of the sling MATTERS depending on what position you're shooting from. Rarely is there time at a PRS type match to spend adjusting a sling to get the correct tension.

That said, I use them as time permits. At the Grind last year there was a stage where you were to take 1 shot offhand, 1 kneeling, 1 sitting and one prone. There was plenty of time. I was surprised how few people slung up.

It's too slow, most stages are less than 2 minutes, at a place like K&M The average stage is 1.30 or less.

You don't have time unless the stage is a sling only and not bipod stage.

Shooting off a tripod like the picture Caylen shows, also takes time and is designed for someone with the time and opportunity to actually build that position.

During a run and gun match or stage, seconds count.

As has been stated, there are a number of benefits to the added stability a sling can afford you for positional shooting. However, the time constraints of the stages and the building of new shooting positions throughout a stage make use of a sling too slow. If you have been watching videos of people shooting matches I'd think you could easily see how even without the use of a sling shooters are already hard pressed for time.

Usually there isn't time to use a sling. I have used a sling a few times on stages that weren't timed. Once when I used it, you had your choice between standing, kneeling, or sitting on a 1.5 MOA target at 100 yards. I shot it slung up standing and scored an impact.

One other example was where we had as much time as needed to set up, we had to shoot five rounds at 600 yards on a paper target with no bipod, no rest, no bags, but sling was permitted. I scored five hits and, I can't swear to it, but I think I shot about an 8-10" group.

Other than that, my sling has been just a carrying strap at precision rifle matches. I do, however, use the sling outside of matches.

Time required to sling up for a shot depends on what kind of sling you have. I was at a match where you had to move about 15 yards and get into position and fire one shot at 600 yards at a target that was probably 4MOA. You could not go prone and you had to use an existing electric pole or post. I forget how much time you had but I was able to move, Sling up sitting and break the shot for a hit in 15 seconds. Is that to slow?? Like I said type of sling makes a huge difference, and knowing how to use it and practice doing it. All my rifles have the same sling attached, and I never change the adjustments except for maybe in the winter wearing more clothes. Again knowing how to use it and be able to build the position is key.

Not everyone is shooting 4MOA + targets in competitions, I believe the Sling Stage at K&M was under 2MOA, actually closer to 1 MOA, most places are shrinking the sizes of the targets and upping the times to complete the stages. Just finishing in the time allotted is a challenge, let alone having to put your head into slinging up.

You can use it as a secondary support for some stages, but overall, it's just to carry the rifle with.

Time required to sling up for a shot depends on what kind of sling you have. I was at a match where you had to move about 15 yards and get into position and fire one shot at 600 yards at a target that was probably 4MOA. You could not go prone and you had to use an existing electric pole or post. I forget how much time you had but I was able to move, Sling up sitting and break the shot for a hit in 15 seconds. Is that to slow?? Like I said type of sling makes a huge difference, and knowing how to use it and practice doing it. All my rifles have the same sling attached, and I never change the adjustments except for maybe in the winter wearing more clothes. Again knowing how to use it and be able to build the position is key.

Yeah, I was the shooter to go right after Brock and I believe he was the only shooter in the match to hit first round. I was thrilled to get a second round hit on this stage. He is a heck of a good shooter w/ the sling - and there are a few evil stages in ASC where his skill is demostrated. Last fall, they had a 580yd (?) shot at about a 20* up angle, that they made us do sitting, sling supported. Right before I shot with my big 7mm SAUM pushing a 180gr bullet at 2900fps, Brock says "if it makes you feel any better, I hit this shot last week with my 223 AR" :)

For anyone looking for a good sling, check out this one sold on Triad Tactical: https://www.triadtactical.com/Mountain-Shooter-Sling.html
Clearly one of the fastest slings on the market.

It's his backyard, if you don't think that matters... especially when you consider how many years they have had to practice there.
Not much on that farm is a surprise to them, seeing how they set it up.

This isn't taking away from his ability but putting it in context to say, hold that up as an example is a bit misleading.

I'd agree with the above. In a tactical competition their probably just isn't time.
But it makes a definite difference. I used to shoot Olympic style air rifle and .22. Without a sling you wouldn't have a chance of even qualifying.

Ill agree that on most PRS style matches with tight timed stages and the refined equipped selections out there these days, a sling isn't the best answer when pushing the 1.5 MOA and under standard. Now on a different side of the coin a sling is a VERY handy tool if you know how to use it. I know a lot may frown on say, the appleseed 4MOA standard, but I have seen it "humble" a lot of men who thought it would be "easy". Im no pro but have made some decent shots unsupported with a sling over the years. Even the most basic sling if properly adjusted can be a big asset. I would use a fixed object of even shooting sticks with my sling if time allows. That being said, as other mentioned, sling adjustment takes time. TIS / TAB / etc I have tried them all and the HTI is favorite so far. I have mine setup to where I can shoot hasty and looped up either way, and sling and be in position in under 20 seconds, now if time allows you can choose to confirm NPOA and refine that position. I setup all my bolt rigs with the QD swivels the same distance apart and location so I can just keep this sling in my pack for all my rifles.

Triad Tactical, Inc. :: Rifle Slings :: HTI Kopfjaeger Sling

Last edited:
No sling when the rifle has any type of support. Be it a bipod, or any type of fixed object/ barricade. I use a TAB sling when we must shoot unsupported. Unsupported meaning no bipod, and no fixed object. Seated, kneeling, and off-hand I sling up. It is a major help. But that is only if I am not under the clock while getting into the sling.

Slings are nessesity, even if you do not use it for support it is invaulable in real world ops, no one wants to lug your 20lbs gun around by hand, having a sling on it will help someone when they are evacing your wounded ass.
I use a blue force gear sling, I use it in any position besides bipod supported prone. Had quickcuffs on it and my m4 so I used the same sling for my long gun as my ar, that way I had less gear to lug around, and one sling to learn. Gunslinger packs are also a great help swapping from carbine to long gun. One thing I do not see alot of guys doing is dumby cording night optics, peqs, or other accessories that are not torqued down, even in qd mounts. When you get up to run to the next room or if you bush a thick bush on a stalk in wtf are you gunna do when you lerue mount gets flicked and now your only optic or night optic is in a mud puddle. What do you all think about more practical considerations for slings and sutch?

The photos in the thread are of myself and another Marine during a training event quite some time ago. We were experimenting with some variations of sling use to build a more solid tripod shooting position. These techniques have since evolved into using the sling in a more unorthodox way than previously known as the "norm".

The sling should be used as a piece of equipment that allows the shooter to solve problems (IE, compromised shooting positions) and build a solid shooting platform out of just about anything they come across. Granted, and I agree with Lowlight, and this is what we teach; most of these techniques that I teach with slings at my courses are used when the shooter has time to build the positions. Most matches will not allow you the time to use the sling like that, unless of course you train for it. I can get into that sling position shown in the photo in about 2 seconds because I know what my arms, hands, and fingers need to do to make it happen. My brain doesn't outrun my appendages, so I can get it done fairly quickly.

Traditional sling use (NRA stuff) is something I do not teach as a I've gotten to the point of it being a waste of time for field/practical shooting scenarios. Chances are, you're going to have something to shoot off of in a field environment. And if you don't, and you knew you were headed into an environment that has limited items to shoot off of, like grasslands, you didn't properly prepare yourself with a pair of sticks or trekking poles. Kinda your fault...

Slings that have tons of buckles, straps and other whiz-bang adjustments usually take a significant amount of time and effort to adjust for ONE shooting position. Not my cup of tea. At all. A sling needs to be simple and rapidly adjustable for a multitude of scenarios. If not, it's usually going to end up in one of two ways; shit-canned, or left on the rifle to have bad-assery ninja gear status.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll take the opportunity to plug YOUR sling, considering you didn't.

Yours is the best sling I've seen or used for getting into slung action fast!

See ya next month - and I'll be picking up another couple "Mountain Shooter" slings.

Using A 2 point sling in fast time stages is less than a 5 second setup..
The points of connection are in the forend area and will be about 1 foot apart. Most have probably never seen one used.
DTubb

Using A 2 point sling in fast time stages is less than a 5 second setup..
The points of connection are in the forend area and will be about 1 foot apart. Most have probably never seen one used.
DTubb

I'm a big fan of using a two point sling on a precision rifle. And this isn't a plug for the company I work for, I'd buy the sling if I didn't work there... The Magpul MS1 is incredibly versatile and the slider makes adjustments faster than anything else out there, and it doesn't slip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A sling is for supported shooting options and carry.
A carry strap just carries the rifle. I don't care how many points or adjustments a sling has if you can not get into a supported sling [position and knock the center out of a bull at 200-600 yards your fooling yourself.

With that said pick a position you will probably need sling and make your adjustment before hand. Me I know my go to fast position is sitting so my slings are set for that position. From that setting I can shoot prone or kneeling without adjustments made. If you are making adjustments to your sling for quick shooting you just defeated the reason to use the sling in the first place.

The slings I have used that do a good job for actually shooting with are
My Quick Cuff which is still fastest to get into and out of I have used.
My Slip Cuff Quick Release Fast in and out with lots of easy adjustments
My Original Slip Cuff which predates Mountain Shooter sling but can be strung like it in front.
TABs sling which is also fast and easy to use.
HTI's new sling
Larry Vickers Combat Applications Sling
VTAC with Cuff Option
Original AI Sling
Good Old 1907 design.
Mountain Shooter Sling
Husky Sling

Those above are for shooting with

Last edited:
Andy T, learn how to use it regardless of weather or not you need it in a given comp, it's a skill every rifleman should master, in the matches I shoot you'd be naked without it

Last edited:
Like most have stated already there just isn't enough time and on top of that they get in the way of port style barricades. My sling is a tool I use for specific applications, but I keep it in my range pack most of the time. Having a sling snag up on a barricade during a match just slows you down.

I like the sling techniques Caylen showed me last year for shooting off tripods. Makes for a very stable shooting platform.

Last edited:
Caylen,

A while back I posted a pic of myself using a Mountain Shooter sling in a similar application with a set of shooting sticks. I've been using the technique quite successfully for a while now so I thought it was amusing when one member told me I didn't know what I was doing.

It's surprising what can be accomplished when a person thinks outside the box a little huh?

More back to the point of the OP I believe, like many, that a good sling is an essential part of a precision rifle set up because it can be so versatile to help a shooter get stable, even beyond the conventional style shooting positions. IMO, get a good sling, practice with it, and store that away in your toolbox for when you'll need it.

I was at a comp and met a Marine Sniper Instructor. He had and I now have an Ares Armor sniper Husky sling. I love it. New thinking to a needed piece of kit that has not been given very much thought or updating.