• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do police know if a driver has a permit to carry?

308guru

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2017
MN
Perhaps it’s different by state or location, but I’m wondering if officers know generally, based on registered owner, if a vehicle they are pulling over may have a driver (owner) who has a PTC?

From my own personal experience. Here in Ohio when cops call in a plate number , they'll find out if you're licensed to carry. Got pulled over for a burnt out tail light in a small town. As the officer approached (already had my window down) he asked if I was carrying, I replied yes and what/where it was on my person. He was cool and it was no big deal. No citation for the burnt out light, just get it fixed.

From my own personal experience. Here in Ohio when cops call in a plate number , they'll find out if you're licensed to carry. Got pulled over for a burnt out tail light in a small town. As the officer approached (already had my window down) he asked if I was carrying, I replied yes and what/where it was on my person. He was cool and it was no big deal. No citation for the burnt out light, just get it fixed.
Yes they do and to the best of my knowledge its nationwide. I got stopped one evening going a bit fast in a small Texas town. My CCW was from Virginia. I told him right up front, and he told me he already knew. Had a nice chat about guns and he let me go with out even a warning.

It’s interesting. When I got my carry permit I was told to inform officers up front if I got pulled over. So when I eventually sped and got pulled over I did that and the cop said “don’t tell me that unless I ask”.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
Constitutional carry in TN. Castle doctorine carries over to your vehicle.
Just because the tag may be registered to a person that has a CCW permit doesn't mean that person is driving it.
I'm sure some states have included that in their CCW laws for officers safety but it's stooopid.

My wife was a 911 Dispatch Supervisor. Here in Wisc., they can not keep a record of who they stop/have contact with, that are legally carrying. They tried it (computer entry) and the D.A. put a stop to it. Even for officer safety. Now, obviously, if you are joe citizen and are illegally(no permit) in possession of a firearm, well...there's that. Not saying that a Roadie doesn't keep his/her own little black book, but he/she better not get caught with it. Mac

In NC, it is attached to every license plate that you are listed with, and you are required to inform the officer that you have a permit as soon as he walks up.

Reactions: johnnyvw
It varies by state. Most states do not have the carry permit info in that database so in most states the officer does not know when running your plate.

It’s interesting. When I got my carry permit I was told to inform officers up front if I got pulled over. So when I eventually sped and got pulled over I did that and the cop said “don’t tell me that unless I ask”.

This also varies by state. In some states you are required to declare up front that you are carrying. In others you are only required to declare if asked.

It depends on the state, Virginia police know

1705191677435.png

but I only have a duty to inform if the officer asks me. Last time I was pulled over, they didn't ask

Reactions: lyman
State dependent. You should be able to Google any state to find out.

View attachment 8322319

but I only have a duty to inform if the officer asks me. Last time I was pulled over, they didn't ask
I know, or have known of this since I am a Va resident,

however my current ride is my company car (I own the company) so technically, they would not know that I have a permit until they run my DL

never had an problem either way

Reactions: oneshot86
As others have said, it depends on the state. Florida does not allow it but that rule went in effect very late in the game. So people who got their FL CWFLs early on might be on other States' databases. Partticularly, MD, where they have the MCAC. Read the story of John Filippidis, a FL man that got pulled over going through one of the Baltimore Harbor tunnels and got harassed by the MTAP. They were able to pull him over because his plate hit on their ALPR camera. And they got his cc status from MCAC.

If you got your FL CWFL after say 2008, then it's not supposed to be serchable and can only be accessed by FL LE if they make a specific individual request for it. It's not supposed to be on a list, somewhere to which LE has access.

Reactions: BurtG
Yup - Dept of Licensing issues CPL in WA.

I talked to a 911 dispatcher who claims they have access to 4473’s as well.
Never heard if this type if access

AL is NO. CCW not linked to DL. No duty to inform. That said, most LEOs in AL fall heavily on the right side of the political spectrum and are ardent 2A supporters. I’ll typically hand over my CCW along with my DL and it invariably turns into a Gear Queer Anonymous meeting.

I’ve never received a citation.

In Texas, the DPS is the agency that issues an LTC (License To Carry (concealed or open.)) It is the same agency that issues a drivers license.

I don't know if they are linked. I got pulled over for 77 in a 55. When I presented license and proof of insurance, I also presented my LTC. Texas requires that you do what you can to inform an officer of any weapons.

He asked if I had the weapon now.

I said, "Yes."

"Where is it located?"

"Left hip under this shirt."

"Okay, well, don't make any moves toward that weapon."

"I won't."

I kept my hands on the steering wheel at all times. He wrote me a ticket and we went on each our own merry way. Time spent? Not quite 15 minutes.

Granted, now we have constitutional carry. So, people could be carrying without any documentation to the state.

It all boils down to this advice - don't be a dick.

In Texas, the DPS is the agency that issues an LTC (License To Carry (concealed or open.)) It is the same agency that issues a drivers license.

In Florida, LE does not issue CWFLs. They are issued by the FL "Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services' (DOACS), Licensing Division. I guess it was the one agency with experience in issuing "licenses" of all sorts, and it was separated from the FDLE/FHP. Neither of these LEAs actually issue driver licenses/State ID's anyway. That falls to the FL Highway Safety & Motor Vehicle agency. So the LEAs would not have generic access to the CWFL database unless they made a specific request.

Michigan- no

CPL info used to pop up automatically when a person was run through the computer on a traffic stop, or whenever.

Now, that info is not automatically available. It can be gotten, but there has to be a stated reason when it is requested.

I don't know if they are linked. I got pulled over for 77 in a 55. When I presented license and proof of insurance, I also presented my LTC. Texas requires that you do what you can to inform an officer of any weapons.

He asked if I had the weapon now.

I said, "Yes."

"Where is it located?"

"Left hip under this shirt."

"Okay, well, don't make any moves toward that weapon."

"I won't."

I kept my hands on the steering wheel at all times. He wrote me a ticket and we went on each our own merry way. Time spent? Not quite 15 minutes.

Granted, now we have constitutional carry. So, people could be carrying without any documentation to the state.

The only person in that story that was being a Dick was the cop.
"Don't make any moves toward that weapon"
Ummm, I have a 4000 lb weapon under my foot. My gun is on my left hip. Getting it out from between me and the car door and pointing it at anything would be an acrobatic feat in itself.

Reactions: Highbrass
As others have said, it depends on the state. Florida does not allow it but that rule went in effect very late in the game. So people who got their FL CWFLs early on might be on other States' databases. Partticularly, MD, where they have the MCAC. Read the story of John Filippidis, a FL man that got pulled over going through one of the Baltimore Harbor tunnels and got harassed by the MTAP. They were able to pull him over because his plate hit on their ALPR camera. And they got his cc status from MCAC.
We are headed to some dystopian time mixed with idiocracy

19th amendment strikes again

If you have a Kansas drivers license, and a CCW, the number is the same on both..........

Perhaps it’s different by state or location, but I’m wondering if officers know generally, based on registered owner, if a vehicle they are pulling over may have a driver (owner) who has a PTC?
Yes in Arkansas …was stopped once for speeding , trooper was a dick and overly aggressive. Treated me like I had just robbed a bank. Just one of the reasons I let my permit expire.👎

Reactions: wade2big
We are headed to some dystopian time mixed with idiocracy

19th amendment strikes again

Well, not to excuse or condone MTAP's actions. but I kinda guess what's going on there. The higher level of MTAP scrutiny is reserved primarily for the Harbor Tunnels. This, as opposed to the "bridges" (e.g. Chesapeake Bay Bridge), which get less attention. They get some, but not as much as the tunnels. And that's because the tunnels are a much more critical asset to protect from a terrorist destruction attack. If each of those crossings were "classified" like US govt. documents, the bridges might be "Confidential" but the tunnels would be "Top Secret." Destruction of a bridge, although serious and causing traffic tie ups, etc. would not be as serious/damaging as the destruction of a tunnel. They could probably put up a new bridge relatively quickly. Repairing one of the harbor tunnels, OTOH, would be costly AF, and take a lot longer time to repair, if it could be at all. Hence, MTAP gives the tunnels "extra special care." It's always been the case that flammable/explosive substances (eg. bottled gas, dynamite etc. etc.) have been prohibited) and trucks carrying them stopped and turned back. And MTAP has a station at each tunnel entry to check for that. Similar to the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel in Va.

Reactions: Maggot
Well, not to excuse or condone MTAP's actions. but I kinda guess what's going on there. The higher level of MTAP scrutiny is reserved primarily for the Harbor Tunnels. This, as opposed to the "bridges" (e.g. Chesapeake Bay Bridge), which get less attention. They get some, but not as much as the tunnels. And that's because the tunnels are a much more critical asset to protect from a terrorist destruction attack. If each of those crossings were "classified" like US govt. documents, the bridges might be "Confidential" but the tunnels would be "Top Secret." Destruction of a bridge, although serious and causing traffic tie ups, etc. would not be as serious/damaging as the destruction of a tunnel. They could probably put up a new bridge relatively quickly. Repairing one of the harbor tunnels, OTOH, would be costly AF, and take a lot longer time to repair, if it could be at all. Hence, MTAP gives the tunnels "extra special care." It's always been the case that flammable/explosive substances (eg. bottled gas, dynamite etc. etc.) have been prohibited) and trucks carrying them stopped and turned back. And MTAP has a station at each tunnel entry to check for that. Similar to the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel in Va.
So, this system IDs folks who play by the rules and/or do the right paperwork. Not a huge threat IMHO. How do they ID the terrorists with explosives?

These systems aren't built to look for bad guys, they are there to document every move Joe the Plumber makes...

View attachment 8322319

When I got my Va. CCW I took a free course offered by the local (Greene county) sheriff's dept., What the officer said is "You dont have to tell us but we'll know as soon as we run your license. If you dont (tell us) we wonder why. Make everybody feel better and tell us."

An interesting side note. Got my 10 year permit here in Oklahoma. You have to declare the type of carry weapon. If its a revolver thats al you can carry but if you declare a semi auto youre good for both.

Last edited:
Yes in Arkansas …was stopped once for speeding , trooper was a dick and overly aggressive. Treated me like I had just robbed a bank. Just one of the reasons I let my permit expire.👎
I had the same thing happen to me by a state sponsored road pirate on a rampage. I didn’t tell the asshole that I had a LTC. He run my license and became irate. The statist cocksucker told me that he would have approached this interaction differently and never taken his eyes off me had I notified him to begin with and that I put his life in danger. We had some words after that that weren’t pleasant and my wife was grateful that it ended there. He finished his armed robbery and left to victimize another motorist trying to travel freely. I’m done with the LTC thing and state police can all suck a dick. It’s a wretched way to eek out a living.

I never gave a fuck about the gun licensing on random traffic stops. The ones who are gonna use the gun on me are most likely not licensed anyway. The programmed would tell me about their CCW/CCL and I would just joke, "Ok, let's pretend you don't have a gun and don't use it on me." Some people would get so fucking nervous, "Do you want me to disarm? Show it to you?" That's were I got the line, "Let's pretend you don't have one." Internal dialogue was, "No damnit, I don't need you having an ND in the car and turn this stop into a total emergency goat fuck!"

Being mildly claustrophobic, I've often had that terrible feeling while in one of those tunnels..."What if this fucker collapsed?" No way out. Blowing a tunnel would certainly cause a mess. I avoid them when possible.

So, this system IDs folks who play by the rules and/or do the right paperwork. Not a huge threat IMHO. How do they ID the terrorists with explosives?

These systems aren't built to look for bad guys, they are there to document every move Joe the Plumber makes...
Exactly

Maryland knows everyone that has one. Even other states.
This was always the intention of any and all licenses and/or permits. It’s to make money while tracking and controlling people. Look how licenses and permits were weaponized during the covid illusion. Back the blue. I long for the day that people realize all this after pulling their head out there ass. Police are “legalized” criminals that work on behalf and to the benefit of the corrupt state.

4E5959CE-A2BD-424E-ACE8-BFA525F271C9.jpeg

Never heard if this type if access
Me either, but it's possible with the multi-sales reporting, and the "electronic 4473" push by the ATF this info could be shared. (More than likely is being shared illegally)