• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Do Police Snipers Use Duplex Reticles?

Re: Do Police Snipers Use Duplex Reticles?

Again....alot of discussion about RANGING. That's barely half the utility of a mil-dot reticle.

A precision marksman...DM....sniper can use a mil-dot reticle (or its derivative) to holdover/under in a situation where coming off the glass to make an elevation adjustment is impractical. Similarly, the reticle is useful for making quick adjustments in windage or to accomodate leads for moving targets.

Extreme accuracy in ranging is not the goal of this reticle. The idea is to get a GOOD estimate of the distance and then apply that information to making a shot on a target.....in many conditions.

Dammit, stop bringing rational thought to the argument!
wink.gif

ElementPaulVarmintMasterDSCF0008cro.jpg
NikonMonarch12x50onwindowmounton6in.jpg

I am not a police sniper, unless you think the rancher has deputized me to take out the ground squirrels, prairie dogs, and Yellow-bellied Marmots eating his alfalfa.
I can shoot 1,000 rodents per day. A pup ground squirrel at 250 yards is a 1 moa target.
I sit on a 360 degree turret on top of my vehicle. I try to pick up a target with 12x50 Nikon Monarch binoculars mounted to a piece of steel sliding around on the shooting bench.
When I shoot, if I miss, but I see dirt fly up through the rifle scope, I can dope the next shot.
I have may duplex scopes and may mil dot scopes, and mil dot does not make the doping any easier for me.

If I can hit a squirrel at 250 yards with a .223, then hitting a deer in the lungs at 500 yards with a 270 on a bi-pod should be easy. I fired 7 rounds at deer in 2009, missing one shot at 400 yards. I realized I had not compensated enough for the 13 mph wind. I fired another shot and got it in the heart. That was a duplex reticle scope on 7X.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NBLongRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
your talking about a long range shot through double pain airplane grade multi-layer-lexan? </div></div>

This is NOT a discussion for an open, unsecured forum. Post the question on the NTOA Forum in the sniper section and I will be happy to discuss it.</div></div>
Thanks for responding appropriately to his question. Having been a pilot for 15 years and LEO I wasn't even aware of "airplane grade" lexan.
NBL,
My point wasn't target related it was distance related.
John

The distance solution is an obvious one, and sniper employment against an aircraft is a very specific problem that requires specific training and specialized equipment.

Unfortunately the type of threat that would attack an aircraft will do their homework and research LE responses. Since this is a site indexed by Google, it would be very easy to search.

I worked for one of the worlds largest producers of Lexan for both the Civilian and Military world. I can guarantee you the Lexan is not the problem.

LoneWolf,
I was trying to get the "55-70 yard average shot" people to think outside the city limits for a minute.
On researching responses, who the heck publishes their response plans???
John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the range, and if you don't otherwise care about introducing a light source close to your eye, that works just fine. But, if you can't see the threat well enough to identify it then you shouldn't be engaging it.</div></div>I don't often but I'll have to disagree with you on this one Graham.</div></div>Fair enough. LoneWolf is correct: one should never say never.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NukeMMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A precision marksman...DM....sniper can use a mil-dot reticle (or its derivative) to holdover/under in a situation where coming off the glass to make an elevation adjustment is impractical. Similarly, the reticle is useful for making quick adjustments in windage or to accomodate leads for moving targets. Extreme accuracy in ranging is not the goal of this reticle. The idea is to get a GOOD estimate of the distance and then apply that information to making a shot on a target.....in many conditions. </div></div>Almost.

For LE purposes, Mil reticles are generally not used for ranging targets (most LE marksmen have lasers, which are more accurate), nor are they used for for flash milling or multiple shots at multiple distances (multiple targets are rare) or for wind corrections (most are taught to dial wind instead of hold, then favor). Mil dot reticles are mainly used for measuring things when drawing and gridding.