• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do spiral flutes really affect anything?

Re: Do spiral flutes really affect anything?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnyDL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i rate spiral fluteing right up there with petacures and manacures,extremely"GAY".INMHO,but i also know there's people on here that have more money than time so spend it as you see fit.what ever drops your tailgate. </div></div>
I suppose putting nice wheels on your car is "gay" too, wearing nice clothes, brushing your teeth and combing your hair must also be gay too... I don't see anything wrong with having a nice looking rifle but I'm kind of gay like that. </div></div>no,brushing teeth and combing hair is a must,everything else you said,yea worthless.to much,hey look at me shit,for me.i played catcher in baseball for 14 years at all levels other than pro.i use to love the guys that came to the plate with their 4 wristbands,new batting gloves for each at bat,most expensive cleats you can get,and watch strike three without ever getting the bat off their shoulder,but damn they looked doing it.yea "GAY".but i did say what ever dropped your tailgate,and if you ever shoot any matches,just watch out for the guy on the firing line with the plain jane .308.while others on the firing line were waiting on their rifles to get "spiral"fluted,satelite tv antenas,20"dubs,bling-bling,and everything else,he's been out pulling triggers and learning wind.

well if you go that route for 90 percent of civilians then painting your rifle is gay, having anything but a standard color is stupid, and why have multi-cam backpacks and shooting matts, you can do that to the extreme with anything. fluting in general has been proven to be pretty much for looks as you get very small gains in performance in cooling and the weight loss is next to nothing. to each their own, if you have the money have fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thickstrings</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.ershawbarrels.com/scb-fluted-barrels.php This is what is on the Shaw web sight.......... </div></div>

i'm going to need to ask an engineer about their claim of their spiral fluted barrels being 30% more rigid than a similar barrel with straight flutes.

how does the er shaw barrel rate with others out there.

thank you
joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnyDL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no,brushing teeth and combing hair is a must,everything else you said,yea worthless.to much,hey look at me shit,for me.i played catcher in baseball for 14 years at all levels other than pro.i use to love the guys that came to the plate with their 4 wristbands,new batting gloves for each at bat,most expensive cleats you can get,and watch strike three without ever getting the bat off their shoulder,but damn they looked doing it.yea "GAY".but i did say what ever dropped your tailgate,and if you ever shoot any matches,just watch out for the guy on the firing line with the plain jane .308.while others on the firing line were waiting on their rifles to get "spiral"fluted,satelite tv antenas,20"dubs,bling-bling,and everything else,he's been out pulling triggers and learning wind. </div></div>
Come on over and shoot... All my rifles get used, dragged through the brush, hunted with, shot in the rain, snow, wind, etc. and they look good doing it. I'm sorry that you can't justify owning nice looking stuff- it's really not fair.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnyDL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i rate spiral fluteing right up there with petacures and manacures,extremely"GAY".INMHO,but i also know there's people on here that have more money than time so spend it as you see fit.what ever drops your tailgate. </div></div>
I suppose putting nice wheels on your car is "gay" too, wearing nice clothes, brushing your teeth and combing your hair must also be gay too... I don't see anything wrong with having a nice looking rifle but I'm kind of gay like that. </div></div>

im kind of gay for your rifle... sure looks sweet.

i do not see how spiral flutes can be as strong as straight flutes with regard to rigidity.
Why would I and H beams be so popular in construction if a simpler bar of metal could be used?
The physical properties of those shapes cause them to be more rigid.
Since a barrel is essentially a tube it is already quite rigid. spiral fluting seems to me like it would make the barrel more flexible than straight fluting. Its like putting a series of kinks in the tube.