• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Do supressors have to be purchased from your home

radmcg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Mobile, AL
I live in Alabama on the border with Mississippi. I do most of my Gun business with a FFL in MS, there is also a class 3 dealer I do business with there. Do I have to purchase my supressor from an Alabama dealer? I assume so But I can't get anyone to give me a definite answer.
AHA
Rad

Re: Do supressors have to be purchased from your home

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: radmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do I have to purchase my supressor from an Alabama dealer? </div></div>

Yes, unless you build your own on a Form 1, or buy a used one from someone in state.

You do not have to buy from a dealer in your state.
If purchased out of state, the suppressor would have to be transferred to a dealer in your state then transfered to you.

Buy in Alabama and it is one tax stamp. Buy in MS and it is two tax stamps with the extra transfer.

The two taxes are only required if the silencer is going from a private person to a dealer in the seller's state, then to a dealer in the buyer's state followed by a taxed transfer to the buyer. If the dealer in the other state already has it on a form 3 or 4, then there is only one tax to be paid.

Ranb

Dealer to Dealer transfers are tax free.
"Application for Tax-Exempt Transfer of Firearm and Registration to Special Occupational Taxpayer"
ATF Form 3 (5320.3)

The dealer in AL will more than likely charge you a handling fee though.

Suppressors or any class 3 item for that matter does not have to be purchased thru an SOT in your home state. They must be transfered thru an SOT in your home state though.

Re: Do supressors have to be purchased from your h

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: radmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do I have to purchase my supressor from an Alabama dealer? </div></div>

Yes, unless you build your own on a Form 1, or buy a used one from someone in state. </div></div>

WRONG!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooty Puff Sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy in Alabama and it is one tax stamp. Buy in MS and it is two tax stamps with the extra transfer. </div></div>

WRONG!!!

Like some have said above. You can buy from anyone. If it is a dealer, then you buy it, they send it to you're dealer, you're dealer and you fill out you're form 4 and then you wait. You pay on tax fee and then pay you're dealer fee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LSUbeatUby40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like some have said above. You can buy from anyone. If it is a dealer, then you buy it, they send it to you're dealer, you're dealer and you fill out you're form 4 and then you wait. You pay on tax fee and then pay you're dealer fee.

</div></div>

That's YOUR dealer, not "you're" dealer. If you're going to correct people on the law, at least do it without making one of the most common errors in the English language.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LSUbeatUby40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like some have said above. You can buy from anyone. If it is a dealer, then you buy it, they send it to you're dealer, you're dealer and you fill out you're form 4 and then you wait. You pay on tax fee and then pay you're dealer fee.

</div></div>

That's YOUR dealer, not "you're" dealer. If you're going to correct people on the law, at least do it without making one of the most common errors in the English language. </div></div>

I didn't realize this was english class. Maybe you should F&^K OFF.. Go ahead correct that spelling..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyGun1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You do not have to buy from a dealer in your state.
If purchased out of state, the suppressor would have to be transferred to a dealer in your state then transferred to you.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Suppressors or any class 3 item for that matter does not have to be purchased thru an SOT in your home state. They must be transferred thru an SOT in your home state though.</div></div>

Unless the OP happens to hold a Type 01 FFL, in which case the OP could transfer directly to himself via a tax-paid Form 4.

If you had actually done business with a C3 dealer in the next state he would have told you that he can not sell you items direct.