• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do we have any Civil War buffs?

I'm not familiar with the CW II separation.
CW II has been going on a few years now, its just not to the point of flying lead & buildings burning yet. Look at the run up to 4/19/1775 & CW I, then compare those events to the US, starting in 2009. You also have to remember the people of the US these days will take it dry for a long time, before setting down the remote & leaving the couch. Wither people what to acknowledge the fact or not CW II is real, its just uncle is not openly killing people in the streets yet, came for cannons, powder & ball, or property. However if you look close property is being stolen, in many different ways.

Apologies if I'm wasn't clear but I was asking specifically to the 19th Century American Civil War/War of Northern Aggression (I'm not familiar with the CW II separation). Just about any topic really whether it be local battlefields or legends of confederate gold. Stories about specific units or technology evolution and how that impacted decisions. How Lincoln changed generals like tube socks but I personally enjoy hearing the stories about the people.

So as an example that is more of a blend of the above examples than anyone in particular, a substantial portion of my YouTube feed contains recommendations from older History Channel & more current American Battlefield Trust documentaries. This past weekend I was watching a video about the Battle of Chickamauga which is admittedly a battle I haven't spent much time learning about it. As far as technology played into the battle, it was apparently the largest rail movement of confederate troops containing Longstreet's Corps. Another interesting comment I heard for the first time is many historians point to General Bragg (where FT Bragg got its namesake) to having incredible challenges with interacting with his fellow officers and that led to incredible friction that introduced delays in carrying out his orders. Many of the Confederate leadership had pushed for his removal but Bragg was allegedly a friend to then-President of the Confederate States, Jefferson Davis after having served with him during the Mexican-American War. Another friendship that Bragg had at the time was with William Sherman, the very same General famous (or more likely infamous) "March to the Sea".

So those are some of the quirks/stories I was hoping to dig up because while this may already be common knowledge to some that live near these battlefields but it seems a lot of nuance is kept regionally with different parts of the country having their own stories for similar events. Hope that helps illustrate the root of the question and provides an example of what I was hoping would be shared here.

-LD
Apologies if I wasn’t clear

Your a deviant and a pedo masquerading as a “history buff”

Go back to your handlers

Beg to differ. We would have two oppressive federal governments - one in the north, one in the south.

@LuckyDuck The razzing and roasting and bon mot and soi-disant "witty repartee" are always going to be part and parcel of the experience here, most especially in the Bear Pit where civility, manners, and self-respect go to die.

I am not sure why you need to discuss this in a sharp-shooting forum, especially in the one area where doing an irish jig on your very last feeling is the activity du jour. You might do better in a forum of amateur historians.
We'd have had the same .gov they have in Canada and Europe. Britain and France were backers of the south. That would be our reality now.

Beg to differ. We would have two oppressive federal governments - one in the north, one in the south.

@LuckyDuck The razzing and roasting and bon mot and soi-disant "witty repartee" are always going to be part and parcel of the experience here, most especially in the Bear Pit where civility, manners, and self-respect go to die.

I am not sure why you need to discuss this in a sharp-shooting forum, especially in the one area where doing an irish jig on your very last feeling is the activity du jour. You might do better in a forum of amateur historians.
Just in regards on why discuss on a sharpshooting forum- well the Civil War does have a substantial amount of that in its story from both sides. Every battlefield I've visiting would include sections on where the contributions of sharpshooters played decisive roles and given the technology at that time, I find it somewhat amazing how far of a range they are able to stretch those rifles and make hits at incredible distances. Speaking of sharpshooter technology, the very same features discussed day in and day out here existed with new ammunition and even telescopic sights.

Those are just a few links on the topic should that be of any interest to you so that you were able to get some value out of this thread. But I think mostly, I'm confused why every time a new monument is tore down, here in the Bear Pitt nevertheless, same location as the discussion on Civil War history was started, a new thread appears and goes on for pages with folks their expressing their (at a minimum) disappointment with what's going on and that goes without question but potentially discussing what those monuments represented is met with scrutiny. That last bit isn't meant as a challenge to you personally but just as a general observation. In my experience, this is the audience typically does consist of many amateur historians, especially with US military history and based off the participation and civil discussion in the battlefield thread believed this had an opportunity to be great. Anyway, that's my two cents on why I thought we could discuss this topic (along with the WWI and American Revolution) here.

-LD

So, why would you imagine buttons and buckles were found on the battlefield other than they once adorned complete articles of clothing and in the clothing were casualties.

Who leaves a perfectly good belt buckle when clothing was hard to come by unless the owner was killed?

They're not using it anymore. Feels wrong to let it go to waste. Think they are most likely too dead to care.

Except.....
It dont be like you think it be, but it do.

Reconstruction would not have been as brutal or long lasting had Lincoln not been assassinated.
Also.....Liberia would have gotten a lot more repatriation......
JWB definately didn't do the South any favors and achieve the hero role he always craved in the theater when he whacked Lincoln, but rather that of the villian, even by the South.

The South was punished even more severely for his actions.

Last edited:
Reactions: armorpl8chikn
JWB definately didn't do the South any favors and achieve the hero role he always craved in the theater in the eyes of the South when he whacked Lincoln, but rather that of the villian.
Or that of a contractor for the Fed. Oopsies...did I say that out loud?

Or that of a contractor for the Fed. Oopsies...did I say that out loud?
I think one of the motley murder crew would have revealed that to cut a deal when they got caught.

I always thought Mary Surratt's sentence was a bit harsh, considering she wasn't involved.

I think one of the motley murder crew would have revealed that to cut a deal when they got caught.

I always thought Mary Surratt's sentence was a bit harsh, considering she wasn't involved.
There is nothing new under the sun.
As modern people we think corruption is new like a cellphone.

Mary Surratt was an example to the actors behind the conspiracy.

History is a funny thing. It is documented by the powerful and influential. Marginalization of an opposition is nothing new either.

Reactions: LuckyDuck
There is nothing new under the sun.
As modern people we think corruption is new like a cellphone.

Mary Surratt was an example to the actors behind the conspiracy.

History is a funny thing. It is documented by the powerful and influential. Marginalization of an opposition is nothing new either.
We'll never know. Solving assassination plots against presidents has never been a strength of the U.S.

There was no civil war, only a war of northern aggression. Look at a map, nobody was marching north and attacking anyone until well into the war. The civil war was similar to the response to January 6th. It was the liberals saying "oh, you've taken your imaginary freedom too far, and now we have to make an example of you". The problem is that they didn't realize the south isn't made up of cowards, and millions of people died as a result. Anyone who sees Lincoln as anything more than a pile of shit only does so because their 2nd grade teacher told them to. I'd be willing to bet that almost none of you have actually read the emancipation proclamation. Go read it. Actually read it. If you read it, and it isn't long, the whole situation becomes crystal clear. It was never about slavery, it was never about preserving the union, it was about the puppet dictator of the Henry Clay wig party teaching a lesson to the tax slaves, that they would do whatever the narcissistic demons in power wanted, or he would kill them all. If you can read about Sherman's March to the sea and not be disgusted, you're probably in agreement with Lincoln on many issues..

Reactions: Charmingmander
Apologies if I wasn’t clear

Your a deviant and a pedo masquerading as a “history buff”

Go back to your handlers
Let's make this very clear to you- should you & and your band of flying monkeys continue to follow my coattails and continue to harass me moving forward calling me a "pedo" well there's actually a whole bunch of laws that would make you'll liable there for things such as harassment or defamation of character.- so how about this as a compromise- you'll just add me to your 'ignore' list and we let everything fall to the side? If you continue to beat your own chest and consider yourself internet tough- fine by me but in full disclosure- you're just going to be digging yourself deeper.

-LD

Let's make this very clear to you- should you & and your band of flying monkeys continue to follow my coattails and continue to harass me moving forward calling me a "pedo" well there's actually a whole bunch of laws that would make you'll liable there for things such as harassment or defamation of character.- so how about this as a compromise- you'll just add me to your 'ignore' list and we let everything fall to the side? If you continue to beat your own chest and consider yourself internet tough- fine by me but in full disclosure- you're just going to be digging yourself deeper.

-LD
And let me tell you. Your defamation bullshit, is just that; bullshit. This is a public forum, and while people can say whatever they want, WE (the Mods and Staff) dictate what is allowed, not some keyboard jockey tossing out purported legal threats to other members. You threaten anyone here again with your bullshit threats and you are gone. Period. Or I can just delete your ass right now. Understand? Do I make myself, perfectly, fucking, clear?

You're not the first to try this sort of chickenshit, spineless move, and probably won't be the last. But, they are also not here anymore. Think on it, because I don't want to have this discussion with you again. If there is ever a next time, I will personally fit you with a spacesuit, and launch your ass off this site.

<clear>

1709680099600.gif

And let me tell you. Your defamation bullshit, is just that; bullshit. This is a public forum, and while people can say whatever they want, WE (the Mods and Staff) dictate what is allowed, not some keyboard jockey tossing out purported legal threats to other members. You threaten anyone here again with your bullshit threats and you are gone. Period. Or I can just delete your ass right now. Understand? Do I make myself, perfectly, fucking, clear?

You're not the first to try this sort of chickenshit, spineless move, and probably won't be the last. But, they are also not here anymore. Think on it, because I don't want to have this discussion with you again. If there is ever a next time, I will personally fit you with a spacesuit, and launch your ass off this site.

<clear>
And that is how you tell off a pedo.

I could not resist the chance to roast.

I have never called him a pedo but it worked for this wisecrack.

<clear>
Yes sir- your point has been made. No arguments here. If you're willing to be open to these type of discussions by any 'shade' I'd appreciate it because I don't make a point to upset the status quo sir but I'd sure like to discuss these topics with other likeminded folks if at all possible.

-LD

Last edited:
I'd also certainly appreciate just the slightest bit of shade from the Mod's if certain members here continue making a point to make a point of me being labeled as a "pedo" each day if that's at all possible.

-LD

I'd also certainly appreciate just the slightest bit of shade from the Mod's if certain members here continue making a point to make a point of me being labeled as a "pedo" each day if that's at all possible.

-LD
Use your "ignore" button. That's what it is there for. And judging by your deleted content (which the mods can see), I'd wager they have a reason, thinking you're a pedo.

This is the Pit. If you put it out there, it'll likely get bitten off...if you're lucky.

Use your "ignore" button. That's what it is there for. And judging by your deleted content (which the mods can see), I'd wager they have a reason, thinking you're a pedo.

This is the Pit. If you put it out there, it'll likely get bitten off...if you're lucky.
Yes sir- thank you for your time.

-LD

Now officially known as "Duck", as the luck just ran out! Welcome to the site, play nice, stand your ground, hurl your insults, speak your mind, find the MO of site, fit in....or Federal Express will deliver you!

Its a great place for grown adult men, with thick skin.

I'd really prefer you'd give up the "pedo" nomenclature.

-LD
Is MAP better?

See, I really am kidding, I don't know anything about you.

This is the Pit. You leave that feeling out there and someone is likely to do a Michael Flatley "River Dance" all over it.

Here is what happens. You let people know your feeling is hurt, you give them the power. However, there is a reprieve. This is only going to happen on days that end in the letter 'y'.

You remember the primate exihibit at a zoo when the residents fling handfuls of poo at each other?

Welcome to the jungle. We've got fun and games. We got everything you want and honey, we know the names.

<clear>

That's what you call getting your Duck knocked in the dirt. :LOL:

Ever hear about what was referenced as "Angel's Glow"? It was noted during the Civil War and is a pretty interesting phenomenon that took quite a spell for science to understand why & what it is but I'm sure you can imagine the explanations that were prevalent at that time. As a quick precursor- wounded soldiers would quite literally glow in the dark and seemed to have an otherwise divine intervention in their survival rate. If interested- more information can be found at the below link.

-LD

Ever hear about what was referenced as "Angel's Glow"? It was noted during the Civil War and is a pretty interesting phenomenon that took quite a spell for science to understand why & what it is but I'm sure you can imagine the explanations that were prevalent at that time. As a quick precursor- wounded soldiers would quite literally glow in the dark and seemed to have an otherwise divine intervention in their survival rate. If interested- more information can be found at the below link.

-LD
I live about 15 miles from the battlefield. They taught us about that phenomenon in school somewhere along the way. A terrible battle though, like 25k casualties in two days.

That's more than 500 an hour for two days straight. Thank God we don't have wars like that anymore.

-LD

That was an awesome read. Thanks for sharing. The world contains far more wonders than we can even imagine. I can almost see the above story edited and turned into an Outer Limits episode where some members of a starship crew stricken with cancer due to a meltdown of one of their onboard reactors flooding the ship with radiation lands on an oceanic world and were "attacked" by small worm like creatures, inducing panic among the crew, and in the panic, men fired blasters wildly, striking their own comrades and damaging some parts of their ship. And it was only later realized by their medical officers that the worms had only laid eggs in the men, and the larvae feasted on cancer cells while leaving normal healthy cells untouched before being excreted as part of their life cycle. And once that revelation was found, a faction of the crew wants to capitalize on this discovery and bring the organisms back to Earth to sell and prescribe for profit, while the good scientist of the expedition argues that this should be brought back for the good of mankind without profit in mind and that the ship's cargo hold should be emptied of all unnecessary items so they can haul as much of the planet's watery biome back to Earth as possible, leading to the eradication of cancer once and for all. The profit minded crew disagrees, as the cargo bay is full of their own wares, causing factions to form in the crew, and in deep space with hyperdrive engaged, the situation becomes critical...

That was an awesome read. Thanks for sharing. The world contains far more wonders than we can even imagine. I can almost see the above story edited and turned into an Outer Limits episode where some members of a starship crew stricken with cancer due to a meltdown of one of their onboard reactors flooding the ship with radiation lands on an oceanic world and were "attacked" by small worm like creatures, inducing panic among the crew, and in the panic, men fired blasters wildly, striking their own comrades and damaging some parts of their ship. And it was only later realized by their medical officers that the worms had only laid eggs in the men, and the larvae feasted on cancer cells while leaving normal healthy cells untouched before being excreted as part of their life cycle. And once that revelation was found, a faction of the crew wants to capitalize on this discovery and bring the organisms back to Earth to sell and prescribe for profit, while the good scientist of the expedition argues that this should be brought back for the good of mankind without profit in mind and that the ship's cargo hold should be emptied of all unnecessary items so they can haul as much of the planet's watery biome back to Earth as possible, leading to the eradication of cancer once and for all. The profit minded crew disagrees, as the cargo bay is full of their own wares, causing factions to form in the crew, and in deep space with hyperdrive engaged, the situation becomes critical...
I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I found it fascinating myself- especially putting myself as a conscripted soldier in 1862 on what would be likely the most ungodly day of my life looking over the sights of my musket, listening to the wounded crying out and some of them actually glowing in the darkness. And then to learn that they escaped the fate of others (and that it took almost 140 years to crack that enigma scientifically) I'd have to believe that if they managed to survive that horrible conflict they must have went to their grave decades later believing they personally witnessed divine intervention. That just makes me say... 'wow', that's incredibly powerful stuff that left a scar or impression but has been lost in time for the majority since those stories is no longer studied or sought by most. But yes, very wild stuff in my opinion at least.

-LD

Last edited:

-LD

Absolutely horribly written "clickbait" full of ads and pop-ups.
Yeah, thanks for that absolute garbage.

Click at your own risk.

I like to share this link with people

Of the 11 seceding states, only six cited slavery as the primary cause for leaving the Union.

That is a nice way of saying, "more than half."

6/11 is 54.5 which is more than half. If you get "only 6 out of 11 votes" from a panel of judges, you are likely the winner.

More than half of participants citing one cause as the *primary reason* is fairly significant.

Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens said slavery was the primary cause of the secession crisis and that the foundation of the Confederacy was slavery.

Savannah, Georgia, March 21, 1861
By Alexander H. Stephens

But not to be tedious in enumerating the numerous changes for the better, allow me to allude to one other though last, not least. The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the "rock upon which the old Union would split." He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact...

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science.

The Confederate Constitution was an almost word for word mirror of the United States Constitution, except in regards to provisions for slavery.

There is no reasonable doubt that the Confederacy came into existence to preserve and consolidate the institution of slavery, that slavery was the primary reason for a majority of secession by the states that became members of the Confederacy, and that for the remaining states, slavery was either the number two or number three reason for their secession.

The Confederacy was not a *society with slavery*, it was a slave society; not Republic with slavery, but rather a slave Republic. That many Southerners persist in insisting otherwise is indicative of either their ignorance in their own history, the statements of their own leaders, and their own founding documents, or the existence of an agenda and an ulterior motive.

• Haha
That is a nice way of saying, "more than half."

6/11 is 54.5 which is more than half. If you get "only 6 out of 11 votes" from a panel of judges, you are likely the winner.

More than half of participants citing one cause as the *primary reason* is fairly significant.

Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens said slavery was the primary cause of the secession crisis and that the foundation of the Confederacy was slavery.

Savannah, Georgia, March 21, 1861
By Alexander H. Stephens

But not to be tedious in enumerating the numerous changes for the better, allow me to allude to one other though last, not least. The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the "rock upon which the old Union would split." He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact...

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science.

The Confederate Constitution was an almost word for word mirror of the United States Constitution, except in regards to provisions for slavery.

There is no reasonable doubt that the Confederacy came into existence to preserve and consolidate the institution of slavery, that slavery was the primary reason for a majority of secession by the states that became members of the Confederacy, and that for the remaining states, slavery was either the number two or number three reason for their secession.

The Confederacy was not a *society with slavery*, it was a slave society; not Republic with slavery, but rather a slave Republic. That many Southerners persist in insisting otherwise is indicative of either their ignorance in their own history, the statements of their own leaders, and their own founding documents, or the existence of an agenda and an ulterior motive.

You people are fucking lunatics.

If history and the truth bother you then you must have a difficult time getting by on a day-to-day basis.

Would you feel happier in an echo chamber?

I notice you and Cuckyduck go out of your way to stir shit around here.
I'd prefer you glowing leftist troll notherfuckers get weeded out at the door.
But ignoring you troublemaking trolling cocksuckers is getting tedious.
For every one that goes on ignore, 3 new ones sign-up.
Bye bye now.

I notice you and Cuckyduck go out of your way to stir shit around here.
I'd prefer you glowing leftist troll notherfuckers get weeded out at the door.
But ignoring you troublemaking trolling cocksuckers is getting tedious.
For every one that goes on ignore, 3 new ones sign-up.
Bye bye now.

Cancel culture is alive and raging with the Archie Bunker conservatives who think that listening to Rush Limbaugh and Ben Shapiro is a substitute for actually knowing history.

• Haha
Reactions: Ronws

-LD
Barfcom is now full of members and mods that glow in the dark too.

Cancel culture is alive and raging with the Archie Bunker conservatives who think that listening to Rush Limbaugh and Ben Shapiro is a substitute for actually knowing history.
There are some times when I will disagree with you but this was funny.