• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Do you carry a Range Finder, Binoculars, or Both when hunting?

UpSideDown

↑ → ↓
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2019
Gear gets heavy and expensive. Range Finders and Binoculars somewhat overlap in capability but are not the same.

What do you carry?
Are there times you only carry one?
What kind of hunting do you do?

I carry both typically at all times! A lot of archery hunting with a bit of rifle hunting. Kuiu bino harness with rangefinder pouch off my right side. It’s been a great combo for me and really haven’t noticed the weight.

I carry both for hunting in Wyoming - shots have been 300+ yards. Usually have time to lase and then dial.

Reactions: Wyzrd
Is the several thousand dollar tag worth it on the Leica's?

When hunting in the Midwest all I carry is a lightweight range finder, because you typically have nowhere to glass. But when I go west to elk hunt I
carry binos and a range finder. However, every morning I assess what my plan is before I load up and go as light as possible for what I plan.

I carry Swarovski EL 10x50 and a Leica 2000. I originally wanted the Swaro EL Range, but the glass in the plain EL was quite a bit better to me.

Still carrying both, because cost. But also because while the optics technology is relatively stable and slow moving, the LRF technology seems to be evolving faster. So year to year, either you lag on the LRF improvements, or you replace otherwise perfectly good & probably expensive glass. Obviously using the two integrated is a win, and eventually I will lose this battle and pay. But for now just being stubborn.

Reactions: Aescobar17
Sheep hunting with partner.

10-14 day drop off backpack hunt. 50-55lbs gear each plus rifles.

Each carry a pair of Binos. Split the Range finder and Spotter.

Depending on my location.
New spot/area: Carry both
Old stomping grounds: Neither

Scope smarts and range estimation are some skills to learn. Not an "super expert" myself, but you can learn ranging pretty easy with practice.

Reactions: Slab74
Depending on my location.
New spot/area: Carry both
Old stomping grounds: Neither

Scope smarts and range estimation are some skills to learn. Not an "super expert" myself, but you can learn ranging pretty easy with practice.
Horse shit, buy a fucking range finder. Maybe if you're never shooting over 400 yards you can learn to judge pretty well but after that in open country there is no way to guestimate it accurately. And why risk missing the animal of a lifetime or even worse wounding it because you were too cheap to buy a range finder.

Still using my old Leica Geovid 8X42 BRF. These things have gone through hell the last 20+ years.

I guess comprehension is lacking in some people :
Depending on my location. New spot/area: Carry both

Seems as Cave_Man is more than accurate for your intellect.

Just tired off watching flatlanders come out west and wound shit. Had to put an elk down last year because some dumb ass guessed it was 350 when it was nearly 500 not to mention freehand. O'yeah he was from Alabama also. Just saying don't encourage stupidity, I don't care what you do when your shooting paper or steel, but when it comes to hunting use what is available, we get enough bad publicity as it is.

don't encourage stupidity,

Just cause YOU interpreted it that way, it CLEARLY is my answer to the OP as his question was VERY basic. It didn't add in the elements of HIS specific area, whereas YOU were TOO DAMNED thick skulled to VENT about YOUR SPECIFIC issues concerning the matter.

Fuck dude if you want to rant than do so, but FUCK OFF the personal attacks when NOT warranted.

OH....I see...calling my post horse shit was when you decided to show your Metro-Back Country Helo-dropped in "Mountain Hunter" wearing Kuiu Verde Gucci camo ignorance into the English language comprehension. Must be the thin air in CO, or is it the bud you're smoking, or both.......

As I said go fuck yourself.

I carry a sig 3000bdx in a kuiu bino harness. does everything you need, glasses for animals, ranges them and gives you your data. I ran leica geovids before the sig, the leica had better glass but the Sig blows them away with the laser and the internal ballistics and ability to bluetooth to your phone and kestrel. The kuiu bino harness carries them really well, out of your way but right there whem you need them and no neck strain.
I shoot Deer and fox, always bring them , would turn back for home if I forgot them

OH....I see...calling my post horse shit was when you decided to show your Metro-Back Country Helo-dropped in "Mountain Hunter" wearing Kuiu Verde Gucci camo ignorance into the English language comprehension. Must be the thin air in CO, or is it the bud you're smoking, or both.......

As I said go fuck yourself.
I apologize, sir for any offense, I only meant to infer the part of the post about estimating yardage was horse shit.
I use horse shit because I'm born and raised in Mississippi and know if I were from Alabama I would have used the much more erudite "Pig shit". I mean we all know you Bamians have plenty of unlawful carnal knowledge of pigs.
Also, why smoke weed when you can eat an edible and be high for 8-10 hours without the stink? But alas I do not partake as it gives me terrible headaches.
Truth be told I'm terribly bored and just trying to stir the pot.
I'm sorry for the offense, can we please get back to the subject at hand.

I use an op-x bino harness. It has a rangefinder pouch. I don’t even get the question, i pretty much never seen other hunters besides the straight out of mexico type, hunting out west without binos and rangefinder.

I carry both a binos and a range finder. I keep going back to 8x56 to get the most resolution and light in the Binos.

Eventually I'll get a pair of Swarovski Els, and upgrade my Minox 8x56. I have 6 pairs of mid-range binos. I have learned that $500 is $500 and not $2500 and i just need to upgrade especially being near sighted.

Laser range finder is a Leupold 1600, but I agree that range finders are being updated almost monthly and it isn't worth it to spend $2000-4000 on a QUALITY combo unit when the range finder will be out of date in a year or two.

Also I am very impressed with what the Leupold 1600 can range. Saying that it will probably get upgraded next year.

I have a chart taped to the side of my stock, and if if the wind or range are beyond what I have on the side of my stock I either don't shoot or I open my mobile phone and hit my software.

I apologize, sir for any offense, I only meant to infer the part of the post about estimating yardage was horse shit.
I use horse shit because I'm born and raised in Mississippi and know if I were from Alabama I would have used the much more erudite "Pig shit". I mean we all know you Bamians have plenty of unlawful carnal knowledge of pigs.
Also, why smoke weed when you can eat an edible and be high for 8-10 hours without the stink? But alas I do not partake as it gives me terrible headaches.
Truth be told I'm terribly bored and just trying to stir the pot.
I'm sorry for the offense, can we please get back to the subject at hand.

Leave this thread with your argument. Private message each other if you want to continue.

Both when hunting in the western states, RF only (SIG2400) in PA hunting open areas, Binos only ( Vortex 10x) when still hunting the thick stuff. Both rifle and archery BTW.

I always carry both. Vortex Viper HD and Vortex Ranger 1000. I carry them in a Alaskan Guide Creations chest pack.
Western hunts and here in the Midwest

I carry both in either a FHF harness for rifle hunts or sitka harness for bow hunt to match camo... Swaro slc with Leica range finder ... you give up some optical clarity with a combo unit... the new zeiss rf binos have been the closest optically wise that I’ve looked through along with the leica seconds... for archery hunts I find it easier hiding your movement close quarters with a stand-alone unit..

I only carry a range finder, but I’m only an average deer hunter from Indiana.

Range finder is a necessity when bow hunting and nice when rifle hunting here.

Most of my bow shots are under 40 yards and most rifle shots are well under 200. I could probably throw a rock and hit the deer the majority of the time... I’m a meat eater, not a trophy chaser. With that being said, the deer here are extremely set in their routines during early fall, making it easy to set stands up close to bedding areas/feeding areas if you do your homework.

rangefinder only....leica 1600 for me too. Still does everything I need it to do. Hunt mostly South Dakota areas. Optics are good enough on the Leica for me to get onto the deer. Hunting for meat not trophy so glassing needs are different. And...yeah, range finder out west is a necessity. That's why I ditched binos and kept it.

Reactions: Johan
used to carry just monocular rf. then monoc and binos both. huge pain. bought the steiner 8x rf binos. amazing. then got the new sig bdx3000 rf bino cause has ballistics. glass a step down but rf better. now to make it even worse and more crap, I got 15x swaros, and both sets of binos. the good thing my boy is old enough to tag along so we share the load.

so now I carry rf binos and binos.....suk it trebec lol

if weight is a concern I carry just the rf binos - sigs with ballistics

GL
DT

Reactions: 260284
Yes, binoculars to find what I want to shoot and the range finder to range my distance for accuracy.

I use both. I leave the range finders around neck and the binoc’s hanging on a hook in the tree next to me

Last edited:
I understand they now make integrated binos with the range finders. Or is it integrated range finders with binos???

I understand they now make integrated binos with the range finders. Or is it integrated range finders with binos???
Haha, welcome to the 21st century. To fill you in, the star of the apprentice is president, the flu is doing serious damage, Carol killed her husband, and binos can also range & provide firing solutions, LOL.

Who's Carol and why does he matter? I am so old, men were still named Carol in my day...