• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Do you carry a Range Finder, Binoculars, or Both when hunting?

As someone else in this thread noted... It depends. I have both. One set of Vortex Furys (RF binos) a set of Steiners and an old Leica 800RF that works out to most reasonable ranges.

For hunting where I don't need the binos for glassing but shots may be long enough, esp with a muzzle loader always carry my Leica.
For hunting in some of my stands where you can't shoot past 200 and I've flagged most of the archery shots every 25 yds out to 75 yds... yea, I still have the little Leica in my bag (not that I need it). There is a whole lot to be said for small and light.

Hunting where I need to glass carry the Vortex Furys, though I am finding just how spoiled I have gotten over the years with the Steiners and the no need to focus thing... but that is a different conversation.

you guys all have it wrong...

just get a .270, everyone knows that you hold 1" high out to 750 yards....

really though, if its a big time hunt and not something you do often stop buying 7-11 coffee int he morning and save up for top gear

• Haha
Reactions: oldiephrt
I do, no issues with mine, best range finder I’ve ever owned (disclaimer I’ve only owned 2 and the other was a $100 Nikon)
How does it track? I heard it doesn't track well with animals, but it could go up to 2000 yards for large reflective metal targets.

How does it track? I heard it doesn't track well with animals, but it could go up to 2000 yards for large reflective metal targets.

It’s tracks quite well, you have to use the upper part of the circle reticle and have a steady hand but it’s good. Longest I’ve got it to work was a steady rest and a big building that was 1800 some yards away. Lasers fast and is accurate, but I’ll get single stand alone trees 800yds out. Overall I enjoy it

Last edited:
IMHO having a lrf/bino is a major asset for most hunting. If you can swing the Alpha glass, do it. If not, a vortex/sig/ Bushnell will do the job.

My personal preference is the Zeiss

Carry both.
Always have binos for glassing ect.
They happen to be rangefinding.
Have an old Leupy compact RF.
Only adds a couple of ounces to my carry weight.
This is for ease of use while archery hunting.
Figured I can pop a range one handed while holding my bow.
If I was rifle hunting binos would do it all.

R

Reactions: HenryTheAce
i carry both always. I do a lot of archery hunting mainly for whitetail. Also rifle for whitetail, p-dogs, coyotes and others.

I use to only carry my sig 2000 rangefinder but a few years back we were moose hunting on this back lake and my dad had Bino’s and while his were cheap with shitty glass quality I could get a way better idea of what we were looking at. Since then I purchased some Steiner bino’s and carry both everywhere while hunting!!

I firmly believe this has been one of my most underrated purchases and best decisions I’ve made. They are crystal clear, give me way better field of view and much finer definition. While my hunting buddies have made the purchase yet every year the second we get up there they all regret not doing so.

I use to only carry my sig 2000 rangefinder but a few years back we were moose hunting on this back lake and my dad had Bino’s and while his were cheap with shitty glass quality I could get a way better idea of what we were looking at. Since then I purchased some Steiner bino’s and carry both everywhere while hunting!!

I firmly believe this has been one of my most underrated purchases and best decisions I’ve made. They are crystal clear, give me way better field of view and much finer definition. While my hunting buddies have made the purchase yet every year the second we get up there they all regret not doing so.

my next purchase will be a spotting scope! I don’t believe I’ll carry it nearly as much as the other, like you mentioned your packs start getting full and difficult to carry everything. But I was able to borrow a buddies for the end of my deer start of my coyote season and decided it’s a must!! I was able to determine how big certain deer were, if they were worth Pursuing.

I take an FHF Gear Bino harness on all my big game hunts with a kestrel pouch and a rangefinder pouch. I wouldn’t go without it. The contents: 10x42 Kahles binos, Kestrel 5700 elite AB, Leica 2700B Rangefinder. Is there overlap between Binos and a rangefinder - not for me really. I use them for very different intent. My binos are for glassing, rangefinder for getting spot on distance to the Target or ranges to landmarks - if I’m still and may need to get on target more quickly. My Kestrel AB does all the computations (ballistic & environmental). My ballistics for the round I’m shooting are already loaded, and I verified my DOPE at the range. Once I know my exact range, my Kestrel gives me MILs to the hundredth for elevation and wind hold (for my position). I dial elevation and hold wind (Tremor3 reticle). Obviously, wind can be very different on the way to and at the target.

razor 4000hd lrf and a pair of Swaro 8x , till i can get something all in one

I've always believed that whatever works for you, that's what you take. No one knows your need better than you. As for my preference, I take both because any electronic device may fail for one reason or another. Just my thoughts.

I dumped my Leupold for my Steiner M830r LRF 8x30, Laser Rangefinder from BOTACH. Got a great price of $1800. Well worth it.

I carry both but I would really like to consolidate into one unit. It will be some time before I do but I think it's the way to go

Carry leica ultravid HD and leica 1600-b.

I also have a pair of vortex viper HD binos I carried before I got the Leicas.

Last edited:
I carry both. Swaros and Kilo2200. I recently went through the exercise of upgrading and one of the arguments that I read was that range finder technology is continually updating plus it is inherently prone to failure (electronic). For a savings of about $1k I was able to get both a range finder and binos or similar quality as a combined unit. Additionally if the RF goes down or I need/want to upgrade in the future my financial risk is pretty small.

Yes it would be nice to have all in one, but the pros didn't out way the cons in my opinion.

Swarovski range finder only. Good enough glass for where I hunt. (Deer with pipelines and open fields.) If out west and a lot of scouting I would take both.

Carry both. Western hunting. Tried my buddy’s sig kilo 3000 and they were just too heavy for only 10x. Had rzr 12x50 and rzr4000 RF and just sold the binos to get some meoptas

I always carry both. Sig kilo 2400 ABS and Maven B2 9x45s although I’m planning on upgrading to some EL 12x50s when I find a good deal on some.

I carry both typically at all times! A lot of archery hunting with a bit of rifle hunting. Kuiu bino harness with rangefinder pouch off my right side. It’s been a great combo for me and really haven’t noticed the weight.

Post #3 in the thread - is my answer too.

I find that big clear glass for some types of hunting is really important, especially if you looking at an animal like an Elk really far away and trying to decide if the brow tines are greater than 5".

A lot of the ranging binos just do not have enough power, and the ones that do, often have less resolution than I want.

Typically I glass for hours and hours between matches and hunting but might use my range finder for several minutes. The Leica is tiny, lite has a small beam, and ranges far with confidence. I can use my Swaro 8x binos for tight woods or 15x SLCs for the longer-range hunts. I feel I have much more freedom and better glass makes a difference for some types of hunting.

Kuiu.png

YOu can see just how tiny the Leica is, out of the way, and super fast to get to. It's on a lanyard to you can range and drop.

Reactions: Wyzrd and seansmd
Carry both. For archery I carry a small Leupold attached to my pack with a zinger for easy access and carried in shoulder strap pocket. On rifle hunts either carry an older Swaro LRF or a Terrapin attached to my hip belt. Swaro 10x42 SLC carried in a Sitka bino harness. Predominantly hunt in SW NM and good glass with is a must. Many a time I located an elk just by observing a difference in color when most of the animal was obscured by vegetation.

I am impressed with how many solid answers this thread is getting. Thank you guys.

Great info on good binos + rangefinder vs combo units.

I carry both. Swaro EL 10x42 and kilo 2200 in a vortex chest rig. I never go outdoors without em on my chest even if it's just a simple hike. I spend a ton of time glassing, binos are an absolute must have for me. Whatever you carry I recommend carrying them a lot. That way during scouting/hunting time they don't feel like a burden. Hope that helps in someway!

I carry both. No matter if I'm turkey, bow, whitetail, or western hunting. I use an Alaskan Guide Creations harness. It carries all my stuff so I have it on no matter what. I also use it for trout fishing. The range finder gets replaced with a mini tackle box and I pin on my hemostats and clipper. That way I still have my bino's for looking at cool stuff.

In my harness I keep:
-Tags
-Rubber Gloves
-Zip ties
-Mini headlamp
-Compass
-Fire stuff
-Lens Cloth/Wipes
-Binos
-Range finder.
-Extra mag/Release depending on the season

It's kind of a system at this point and I feel lost without it. Also the harness is nice for protecting your glass. During a Coastal Alaskan Hunt I was the one who had the best odds of usable glass at any point.

Sometimes a small 7x30 Apache when I'm out to fill my freezer, mostly to scan for poachers rather than animals.

I'm lazy enough that I usually plant wind flags (the red "lumber caution" flags free from Home Depot) from 400-1800yds on my "coyote corridor", I rarely carry an LRF into the field except while setting up new flags every Spring.

I carry both. I hunt on the prairie and in the hills. I would love to have some rangefinder binoculars but I haven't made the leap yet, mostly due to cost.

Currently carry both but will be making the switch to rangefinder binos probably before this fall. I don't mind carrying two units on my personal hunts, but I do some guide work and bouncing back and forth to range while also be prepared to call shot placement is getting old. I'll keep carrying both for archery stuff, as its easier to get on something and range quickly with a 6x monocular instead of 10x binos.

Sig kilo 3k rangefinder Binos. Hunt open country. The integrated firing solution is really quick and I have one less thing to carry/lose

Both here. I add a spotter out west, but only for certain hunts. Almost never for archery elk, or more timbered stuff. I love having a good tripod, pan head, and tripod mount for my binos though.

Rangefinders, Fair warning: I've had 2 Sig 2200's fail on me, but got both replaced free of charge by SIG. I was just without the rangefinder for 6 weeks, which could be bad. So, I'm in the mind of having a backup for hunting trips.

This year for archery, it'll be my 10x42 EL's plus a Leupold Rangefinder, probably Fulldraw 4. Rifle season will sub in the 2400ABS for ballistics. Lots of New England hunting on the ground and in tree stands, but should be drawing an Elk tag and some antelope tags as well which means I'll need to stretch it out more than I'm used to. Fingers crossed.

I carry a 2400 ABS and a set of binos, recently switched to a set of cannon image stabilizing binos. The glass isn’t top of the line but the stabilization makes up for that.

I don't really carry any of those. But, I usually only hunt deer out of a stand that I've been sitting in for fifteen years. I know the ranges, so no need for a rangefinder.

If I bring a youngin out with me, I'll bring both to just to keep them busy.

If I were hunting unfamiliar terrain, I would bring both, and maybe even a spotting scope and tripod, depending on the terrain.

Usually spot and stalk. Spotter or big binos with a 20x low end magnification for locating, 10x binos for glassing while I'm getting there and a range finder for the last part of the hunt.

I carry just a Leica monocular for the majority of my hunts. Hunt mostly areas that are tight and dense. Use both in the rare occasion I get to hunt open areas

I have the Sig Kilo3000, best of both worlds. Have ranged mountain sides to 3300 yards and never an issue ranging game within respectable shooting range. Glass is decent, ranging is A+ overall really good buy for the price and best in it's class at that price point. And can also link up to kestrel or garmin ballistics solvers/wind meters.

It really depends on the hunting.
If it is really dense and shots are going to be very close there is no need for rangefinder.
However, when going for elk or mulley’s in the west both are a must.

For my hunts here in WY, I always have my 10x42 Leica HD-R LRF Binos and Sig Kilo 2000 (back up rangefinder). Used to bring a spotting scope too but recently opted for some 15x56 binos for the longer range glassing. So far, so good.👍👍

Binos 12x50 razor HD
Range finder Sig 2200
Spotter razor 16-48x65

I carry all when hunting. Mostly mountain spot and stock so spotter is needed.

Reactions: Wyzrd