• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Do you compensate for SPIN DRIFT???

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
I have a few questions.

Do you compensate for spin drift of a bullet at long range?
If so which way do you compensate and will it always be the same.
I have heard about 6 inches of drift at 1000 yards but did not know if different barrel makers have different directions of thier rifling.

Re: Do you compensate for SPIN DRIFT???

YES!!!!

Let me get my notes together!

Thanks guys I got all the answers I need for days of reading. So maybe 1/8 left at 100 yards is perfect

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys I got all the answers I need for days of reading. So maybe 1/8 left at 100 yards is perfect </div></div>

1/16" seems to be the agreed upon number here on the Hide.

I guess I know why I've been just a hair (an eyebrow hair to be specific) off target all this time. I've been using 3/32 instead of 1/16. Silly me.

OP, just pick up a few bottles of SpinD and all your problems will be solved.

we really shouldn't make light of this guys. it is serious.

i for one induce a little runout in each reload, and then rotate the bullet in the chamber before closing the bolt to make sure that the runout causes the orbit to work in my favor.................... therefor cancelling all spin drift. next i think i will start to angle the seated bullet up a little too so i can stop worrying about dialing elevation.

concentricity is for people too lazy to do real load development
crazy.gif

i buy reloads from the southern hemishpere, there are programmed to spin opposite of the northern hemishpere so when i shoot them, it is cancelled out.

I load mine in North Carolina and shoot them in South Carolina, seems to work pretty good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I load mine in North Carolina and shoot them in South Carolina, seems to work pretty good. </div></div>

ok that was funny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: offroadr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i buy reloads from the southern hemishpere, there are programmed to spin opposite of the northern hemishpere so when i shoot them, it is cancelled out. </div></div>

If your Southern hemisphere reloads are from Australia, you won't need to give a shit about spin drift...they'll hit your target right between the looking gear, every damn time.

I carry a small, portable merry-go-round set to rotate counter-clockwise, then open my eyes just as I pull the trigger. But only on full-auto. I handle muzzle climb by running a bungie cord from one of the sling swivels to my belt.

Every decent ballistic program I've seen has a nice option "Compensate for Spin Drift". So for me it' a no-brainer, I just selected that option once, and never go back to it. Somebody else may leave that box unchecked.

Then on target - I'll believe the bullet, and - if the first shot misses (as it happens occasionally
grin.gif
) - correct accordingly, and record what happened.

I fail to see why this is a question or an issue. There are three ways of figuring your adjustment for the first shot:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] Actually shoot that load at that distance beforehand and record your dope. Then use that dope when shoot at that distance again. <span style="font-style: italic">Not a bad idea to keep and consult your logs.</span>[*] Use a ballistic calculator to conjecture what the adjustment should be. Depending on how you configured it, your calculator did or did not account for spin drift.[*] Use a ballistic calculator to print a range card for your load, or a book or whatever that lists the dope and take that printout with you. Spin drift may or may not be accommodated for, depending on how the original calculations were done.[/list]
In any case your first shot may or may not be spot-on. If it isn't - hopefully either you or your spotter (or both) observed the impact and figured the correction.

Nowhere in the above scenarios did accounting for the spin drift impose extra load on you. You actually don't need to think about it - think of the basics instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every decent ballistic program I've seen has a nice option "Compensate for Spin Drift". So for me it' a no-brainer, I just selected that option once, and never go back to it. Somebody else may leave that box unchecked.

Then on target - I'll believe the bullet, and - if the first shot misses (as it happens occasionally
grin.gif
) - correct accordingly, and record what happened.

I fail to see why this is a question or an issue. There are three ways of figuring your adjustment for the first shot:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] Actually shoot that load at that distance beforehand and record your dope. Then use that dope when shoot at that distance again. <span style="font-style: italic">Not a bad idea to keep and consult your logs.</span>[*] Use a ballistic calculator to conjecture what the adjustment should be. Depending on how you configured it, your calculator did or did not account for spin drift.[*] Use a ballistic calculator to print a range card for your load, or a book or whatever that lists the dope and take that printout with you. Spin drift may or may not be accommodated for, depending on how the original calculations were done.[/list]
In any case your first shot may or may not be spot-on. If it isn't - hopefully either you or your spotter (or both) observed the impact and figured the correction.

Nowhere in the above scenarios did accounting for the spin drift impose extra load on you. You actually don't need to think about it - think of the basics instead.</div></div>

That doesn't necessarily work out to be true based on the shooter...

I shoot targets at 1000 yards that are 8.75" wide... so adding the standard correction for SD, one has to know if today it was the wind or if it was SD... adding 1 MOA as most do, in some cases, they add in more, would result in me missing or thinking the wind call was correct when in fact the 1 MOA Adjustment caused the hit.

One would do well to do without it in cases of any wind over 1 MPH, because even though it might be 1 MPH at the shooter, it might be 3MPH at Max Ord, to which you would not know. It would also change if your wind is today from the Left and then tomorrow from the RIGHT.

So while many will feel the 1 MOA adjustment is a no brainer, tell that to the lefty who's trigger control is less than perfect.

In the caveated phrase, "All things being equal" as in the rifle is bolted to a fixture, I agree, add it in, but unfortunately when you add a person to the mix, "all things" are NEVER equal, if the math isn't working 100% for everyone you have to ask why ?

I will also add, that all of this is moot if you are not using things like a level, because if you don't know if the rifle is straight 1MOA doesn't help. I shot the Ashbury International Shoot on Monday before SHOT SHOW, when I got on the rifle, it was canted, tight with the bipod, I had to adjust it. I was given a wind call for a 1100 yard shot by the RO on glass who is an experienced instructor. I hit just slightly left of target. So I held a 1/4 mil more and hit center for the remaining 4 shots of the 5 shot magazine. No SD dialed just a straight up wind call... and that canted rifle could have accounted for why the shooter before me hit using less wind, resulting in compromised wind call. The spotter had no way of knowing the rifle was canted, yet people were shooting it that way.

As well trigger control, most Right Handed shooters pull the shot right, so the 1 MOA will be to their advantage. Which is why you see some shooters using .75 MOA for SD, 1 MOA, up to 1.5 MOA for SD because they consistently see their shots go right. This might have also accounted why I need more wind on the 1100 yard shot... if my trigger is straight and I need 1.25 Mils of wind and the shooter before me is off on his trigger by 1 MOA (Faux SD) that means he only needs 1 MIl of wind... think about it.

Scope tracking, very few check their scope across 100% of their adjustment value, so compensating for a 1 MOA adjustment when you don't know how well your scope tracks, or even if it tracks in a straight line is another issue.

You have so many factors, that are verifiable as much as they random when you add a person and scope to the system you have to ask...is this barrel indexed properly in the receiver as all the best builders will tell you there is a 12 o Clock to a barrel, so is your barrel timed at 12, or is it off a bit. Intersection of the receiver matters.

I can list more factors to effect the shot than trying to sell someone that 1 MOA solves the problem at 1000 yards.

Or, get a left-hand twist barrel for the northern hemisphere, so that spin drift partially cancels out the coriolis effect...

Are we having fun yet? You betcha!

Hell ya, if people were truly serious about it, we would all use a left hand twist... I agree completely and still may have Bartlien do me one for my AW just to see.

I've often wondered if utilizing a left hand bullet in a right twist barrel would negate the effect entirely. I suppose you could possibly shoot a right hand bullet backwards and still overcome the drift.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will also add, that all of this is moot if you are not using things like a level, because if you don't know if the rifle is straight 1MOA doesn't help. I shot the Ashbury International Shoot on Monday before SHOT SHOW, when I got on the rifle, it was canted, tight with the bipod, I had to adjust it. I was given a wind call for a 1100 yard shot by the RO on glass who is an experienced instructor. I hit just slightly left of target. So I held a 1/4 mil more and hit center for the remaining 4 shots of the 5 shot magazine. No SD dialed just a straight up wind call... and that canted rifle could have accounted for why the shooter before me hit using less wind, resulting in compromised wind call. The spotter had no way of knowing the rifle was canted, yet people were shooting it that way.

As well trigger control, most Right Handed shooters pull the shot right, so the 1 MOA will be to their advantage. Which is why you see some shooters using .75 MOA for SD, 1 MOA, up to 1.5 MOA for SD because they consistently see their shots go right. This might have also accounted why I need more wind on the 1100 yard shot... if my trigger is straight and I need 1.25 Mils of wind and the shooter before me is off on his trigger by 1 MOA (Faux SD) that means he only needs 1 MIl of wind... think about it.

Scope tracking, very few check their scope across 100% of their adjustment value, so compensating for a 1 MOA adjustment when you don't know how well your scope tracks, or even if it tracks in a straight line is another issue.

You have so many factors, that are verifiable as much as they random when you add a person and scope to the system you have to ask...is this barrel indexed properly in the receiver as all the best builders will tell you there is a 12 o Clock to a barrel, so is your barrel timed at 12, or is it off a bit. Intersection of the receiver matters.

I can list more factors to effect the shot than trying to sell someone that 1 MOA solves the problem at 1000 yards. </div></div>
Ahhh, you're making my head hurt. I get what you're saying, but mixing MOA and mils back and forth in the same sentence is just too confusing. Good on ya if you can think in both, but my pea brain mind only thinks in mils. X mils of wind, x mils of SD, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or, get a left-hand twist barrel for the northern hemisphere, so that spin drift partially cancels out the coriolis effect...

Are we having fun yet? You betcha!
</div></div>
That is the solution HHBL (His Highness Bryan Litz) proposes in the final paragraph of <span style="font-style: italic">Chapter 7: The Coriolis Effect</span>, in his book, <span style="font-style: italic">Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting</span>. Except he also notes that Coriolis effect at best is 1/5th as strong as spin drift.

The rest, I guess, boils down to two words: Dope.

I remember from a previous thread on this subject, a certain bunch in CO. because of direction of range and prevailing wind conditions shoot Left-Hand twist bbls. Different but aroused my curiosity. krw