• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you guys prefer MIL or MOA?

I like to use plain fine crosshairs on old friction adjust turrets.
02CA88D1-5026-459A-B8DC-BA1ABDD0F216.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MarshallDodge
If you like, calculate that arc length using degrees.
Or, if you prefer, describe that arc length using radians.

Remember to show your work.
Unless I misunderstood the question, which is entirely possible,

Arc length indicated on a circle of radius 1,000 meters subtended but the angle 360 degrees = 6283.185307179586476925286766…

Attachments

• BC4069BF-BD34-45A7-8FC1-9D2C91788C47.jpeg
    BC4069BF-BD34-45A7-8FC1-9D2C91788C47.jpeg
    460.8 KB · Views: 17
Unless I misunderstood the question, which is entirely possible,

Arc length indicated on a circle of radius 1,000 meters subtended but the angle 360 degrees = 6283.185307179586476925286766…
Perzactly. Well, sorta perzact. You did stop using numbers over there on the other side of the decimal.
AND the point is that you had to use π.
In this case, of course, it's the circumference of a circle...the same as arc length. No matter if you use them degrees or dem mils, you gotts to use π.
Anyone who says different has a gross conceptual error.

EDIT: EXACT? Arclength=Circumference= 2πradians=2π1000m=2000πm

Last edited:
Reactions: Makinchips208
Perzactly. Well, sorta perzact. You did stop using numbers over there on the other side of the decimal.
In this case, of course, it's the circumference of a circle...the same as arc length. No matter if you use them degrees or dem mils, you gotts to use π.
Yes pi is necessary!

I did stop the numbers in a random spot, I don’t go far with pi like those types that mentally assigns colors and shaped to numbers. I almost broke a sweat on that though!

The other fun question is to ask someone “how much is one moa?” 😂

Reactions: Aftermath
Yes pi is necessary!

I did stop the numbers in a random spot, I don’t go far with pi like those types that mentally assigns colors and shaped to numbers. I almost broke a sweat on that though!

I really do hate to say it but I do like the Soviet decision to round to 6000.

6400 does not make any sense to me.

The rounding, in both cases, is about being able to do some math easier on a big gun before every private had a calculator in his pocket. But..why not go with 6300 so its a little closer? Or...better yet, 6360? I'm sure some French mathematician assigned to an artillery piece came up with it just to be different.
JUST occurred to me as a possible reason for NATO to use 6400.
Computers use binary at the root of everything. Base 2. O and 1.
2 raised to the 6th power is 64. There may have been some real electric, albeit, early, computer science reason to choose 6400.

1 yard at 1000 yards or 36" at 1000yds.

Move the decimal place over for both.

It becomes 3.6" at 100yds

One click is 1/10 or .1....so move the decimal place over.

1 click is .36" at 100yds.

BUT.....you aren't focusing the definition of the thing when shooting. ^^^^

At least you shouldn't be....

You should be focusing on the usage.

A mil is a mil. A click is 1/10 of a mil.

Spot your miss....measure it. Dial the correction on. Done.

I don't give two fucks you call a target 200m or 219yds. Or measure lumber in cm or inches. I only care I need .5 mils to hit it.

Free yourselves from the tyranny of acronyms and just go with indiscernable numbers that mean nothing on a spring tube…

It worked for Buffalo Bill! And he got himself on a postage stamp.

End the meaningless arguments over acronyms… fly… be free! Wing it!

Sirhr
I tried to get my brother to let me help him with one of his rifles, a sporterized 03 with a duplex scope in 30-06. He figured that if he sighted in 2" high at 100 yards, he'd be good to go. The very next month, he ranged a huge muley buck at 400 yards and missed it. Twice. He's a damned good shot and it was very pleasant to see him so humbled..HAHAHA

Even a 3-9 duplex second focal plane scope can be dialed for elevation by using the zoom feature. But you gotta know how far down the top of the arrow on the fat part of the reticle is. You can fairly accurately guess 1/2 or even 1/3 or 1/4 of that distance. If you shoot it at say 3x at the top of the fat part and then again at 9x, your bullet will impact in different places. If you figure that out at 3x, 6x and 9x and then take some practice shots at each of those zoom levels for 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 3/4 of the reticle and write that shit down, you can use a laser range finder, look at your DOPE, choose the zoom and hold...

Free yourselves from the tyranny of acronyms and just go with indiscernable numbers that mean nothing on a spring tube…

It worked for Buffalo Bill! And he got himself on a postage stamp.

View attachment 8319254

End the meaningless arguments over acronyms… fly… be free! Wing it!

Sirhr
Those indiscernible numbers on the dials, are those in indiscernible inches? Asking for a friend.

EDIT: EXACT? Arclength=Circumference= 2πradians=2π1000m=2000πm
Make this easy, when shooting, it is angular displacement.

When we are ranging, we care about the flat distance from one side of our target to the other. Which, for pedants, is less than the arc length.

Also, don't mix units.

An 18" torso is .4572 meters. (or .5 yards, but, no)

If your scope resolves to .1 milliradian that's .4 meters or .5 meters, take your pick. If it resolves to .05, then it's .45 meters. Use a unit that matches your tool. Don't measure with a micrometer to cut with a chainsaw.

Bringing up arc length was a joke based upon the problem that people want to keep talking about how far, in linear measurement, inches or centimeters, the impact needs to move when we are using angular displacement to effect that movement. Again, don't mix.

π is needed to get to the arc length, but not the angular displacement.

To answer your circumference question, I'll offer this, if the radius is measured in kilometers, it is 6km. If the radius is measured in meters, it is 6283 meters.

π is physical constant that happens to be an irrational number, chase your inability to get an integer number out of your measurement of the circumference to the smallest unit you want, you will never get there.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Aftermath

When we are ranging, we care about the flat distance from one side of our target to the other. Which, for pedants, is less than the arc length.

Also, don't mix units.

If your scope resolves to .1 milliradian that's .4 meters or .5 meters, take your pick. If it resolves to .05, then it's .45 meters. Use a unit that matches your tool. Don't measure with a micrometer to cut with a chainsaw.

Bringing up arc length was a joke based upon the problem that people want to keep talking about how far, in linear measurement, inches or centimeters, the impact needs to move when we are using angular displacement to effect that movement. Again, don't mix.

To answer your circumference question, I'll offer this, if the radius is measured in kilometers, it is 6km. If the radius is measured in meters, it is 6283 meters.

π is physical constant that happens to be an irrational number, chase your inability to get an integer number out of your measurement of the circumference to the smallest unit you want, you will never get there.
1704888540197.png

I had to get that shit quoted for posterity.

Also, don't mix units.

Wondering if guys like Herb Ore, or K. Bell & his wife fully understood all that. Just think how much better they could have been, being educated to that level. Then again they may have understood somewhat better, what the difference was between pounding keys and talking about shooting, than the real thing.

So when you microwave your powder to improve its performance in humid temps…. How many arc seconds do you process it at? I calibrated my microwave.

View attachment 8319330

Curious what others do and whether they measure the rotation time in seconds or parsecs?

Sirhr
How would one go about adjusting the rotational speed from 20 seconds per rotation to 60 seconds. I prefer base 60. I would assume this would be pretty simple since the hertz thing is base 60. I searched the manual but it's not in the one I have. By the way, it looks like you need to have a talk with the housekeeper.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 07.52.29.png

• Haha
100 yards /1000 = 300 feet/1000 = 3600 inches/1000 =3.6 inches

What if we did centiyards, or milliyards ?

We could then combine the benefits if the metricality* of the mil system, with the simplicity of the imperial units we all know, for this new system.
We could call it
metric+imperial= Metriperial
Imperial+metric= impetric

If this has been done before, well then excuse me.

* Edit to add: this post is complete sarcasm.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: anon and 308pirate
Well, that's no how MOA works, soooo....

I started with MOA, so that's what I've got. But realizing both systems are a matter of different units of ANGULAR measurement... and if the reticle subtensions match the units used by the turrets... It doesn't matter.

I was at a 1-day 1,000-yard class. In this class we confirmed zero at 100 yards. This range had steel targets starting at 200 yards, every 100 yards, out to 1,000 yards. So, once you adjusted and hit a target, you moved on to the next one. I was the first to make an impact on the 1,000 yard target. There was a full value wind from 270 at about 10 - 12 mph.

I was then asked... "How many feet are you holding for wind?"

"8-MOA,"
was my reply. Not good enough....

Yeah, but how many feet?

No idea! 8-MOA!

You don't know how far you're holding?

YES! 8-MOA!

1704903499019.png

I hear it ALL the time at local ranges where one guy is helping his buddy zero his scope. "You're 3 inches high and 6 inches left."

What if we did centiyards, or milliyards ?

We could then combine the benefits if the metricality of the mil system, with the simplicity of the imperial units we all know, for this new system.
We could call it
metric+imperial= Metriperial
Imperial+metric= impetric

If this has been done before, well then excuse me.
The MIL system works in whatever units you want to use. If you measure distance in axe handles, then a MIL is 0.001 axe handle.

Tenths of feet and inches are used often. Excavators, surveyors, reloading?... Everyone uses tenths of miles already.
It's not as useful or intuitive because the entire system is not base 10

Truly, it matters not unless you are trying to communicate to others regarding shot placement.

EDITED due to fucking autocorrect
EDITED again to correct wording

Last edited:
I hear it ALL the time at local ranges where one guy is helping his buddy zero his scope. "You're 3 inches high and 6 inches left."
I 100% understand what you are getting at but I have a shit ton of targets that have nice 1" squares. When I go sight in and have my wife or a cousin or some other non-shooter spotting for me, or a shooter spotting without a reticle or a different reticle, I know that they are counting those squares and I am fine with that.

I 100% understand what you are getting at but I have a shit ton of targets that have nice 1" squares. When I go sight in and have my wife or a cousin or some other non-shooter spotting for me, or a shooter spotting without a reticle or a different reticle, I know that they are counting those squares and I am fine with that.
That makes sense and is a good point to differentiate.

All this bullshit doesn’t matter if your rifle isn’t “first round capable.” Still waiting on an explanation for that one. And if it isn’t , and you spot your miss, do you correct in mils or moa? I’m so confused. Also, I‘ve been called an asshole and been told I’m a nice guy this week. That confuses me even more.

All this bullshit doesn’t matter if your rifle isn’t “first round capable.” Still waiting on an explanation for that one. And if it isn’t , and you spot your miss, do you correct in mils or moa? I’m so confused.
I correct using the stadia lines in my scope. What do you use?

Reactions: 308pirate
All this bullshit doesn’t matter if your rifle isn’t “first round capable.” Still waiting on an explanation for that one. And if it isn’t
The rifle is probably first round capable.
“and if it isn’t” then it’s probably the shooter error.

Also, I‘ve been called an asshole and been told I’m a nice guy this week. That confuses me even more.
It’s possible to be both.

So when you microwave your powder to improve its performance in humid temps…. How many arc seconds do you process it at? I calibrated my microwave.

View attachment 8319330

Curious what others do and whether they measure the rotation time in seconds or parsecs?

Sirhr
Yours is a afterburner type I see. Both of mine are a lowly 1/10 twist, so I can't stabilize mine as far as you. If I parallel mine can I shoot as far? Inquiring minds?

Yes pi is necessary!

To someone who asks that, I would say, "If you have to ask, then you cannot afford it."