• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Do you have to remove the tar?

Pinecone

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
I have a bunch of LC LR primed brass bought from here on the Hide.

Do I have to remove the tar from the neck? The necks measure to have about 2/1000 neck tension, so they don't need to be sized.

Do you have to?, no. I have bought some with tar, and I jet loaded them up to be fired from my scar. Most of he tar will burn up at ignition, and what isn't will come out when you tumble clean after firing. You can use pain brush cleaner, mineral spirits, or xylene, but it just adds 20 seconds per piece. I doubt it has any more than a minimal effect on accuracy.

I had a few rounds like that. I used gas in small can for about 5 min, swirling a couple of times, worked great. Just be careful if you use that method.

RD

I have heard a .32 caliber bore brush chucked up in a drill / drill press is the easiest way. Im bout to get a pretty good bit of it and it has tar so will re-evalute when I get it.

This is being loaded with 168 gr SMK with 41.5 gr H4895 for my wife's M1A.

I think I will let her decide if SHE wants to remove the tar. :)

Put some gas on a rag and at least try to wipe it off. I wouldn't chamber a round with case lube on it never the less tar. If tar is hard to remove from a case, try getting out of your chamber.

Officially, per Lake City themselves, the asphaltum is supposed to be removed if the cases aren't used within 30 days of the sealant being applied, assuming the cases are stored in an airtight (ammo can) environment. After that, it begins to harden and can have some effect on accuracy, not seal as well, whatever. I had to do this with many, many thousands of cases we got directly from LC for certifications, if they weren't used within the prescribed time frame.

As there's no way you can even guess how old these cases are, you're probably pretty safe in assuming that 30 day time frame passed quite some time back. I used to remove the sealant with a bore brush and a bench-mounted drill motor. Not difficult, just tedious and time consuming. After that, load as usual.

If I was in your exact situation, and believe me I am close, I would use acetone and QTips. Almost anything will take the shit out, but you want to protect the primer. Go buy you a shitload of qtips and a can of acetone. I am dealing with this now from 44 year old M2 ball.

Well hopefully my stuff will be here ina few days. Gona just evaluate the situation then. Ive got a couple of ideas. One was mounting a corded drill in a vise pointing up with a .30 cal bore brush on it. Dip the bulled neck down in a bit of acetone, or whatever I got in the shop and hit them with the brush. Just have to see what is the best and quickest. Q-tips and 500 rds doesnt seem like fun...LOL~!