• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you hit what you aim at?

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    This oft ask question on SH. “Did you hit what you aimed at?”

Quite frankly, with a selected rifle and ammunition I have not found this to be an issue.

I checked my 52 this evening to prepare for a morning squirrel hunt. This rifle has been carried on several dozen hunts View attachment 8073159
    A3AB6C5F-4DF6-4234-BB9E-572BEF489183.jpeg
    76CE2BAC-EE2D-4AC5-A19C-E4F8AE95C247.jpeg
    this year, dialed all over in windage and elevation. Killed nearly 500 squirrels and varmints.

The top target is a .25” dot 3 shots 50 yards sitting with back against tree. Shooting over knees. This included the CBS.

The bottom target is 3 shots 100 yards same set up. Wind was 5:00 (0-3 mph) I added .25 moa R windage and my standard 100 yard dope. Eley 10x EPS.

Hitting what you aim at is the expectation, not a fluke.

No, I did not shoot 50 shots, 50 dots etc. I ran my trapline and built fence all day then rushed home to shoot before dark. Also checked another rifle for a friend who will join me.

Last edited:
    That's a pretty stock. I've often wondered, but never seen a 52 in person that I can remember...is that a mag release button on the side of the stock?

Yep....but before I head out to put a couple squirrels in the skillet,
    each purchase of rimfire ammo is checked for it's limits of accuracy.
    My current brick of Eley HP 22lr is good enough to maintain 3/8 inch from point of aim out to 30 yards.
    Beyond that, strays show up preventing clean head shots.
    The rifle is a 1974 Marlin 60 - 17 shot with a red dot optic.
    Any rifle can hit a dime, every time, if'n you get close enough. ;)