• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you hunt alone

topslop1

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2010
I have several friends that I hunt with, but none of them hunt as much as I do. I start early archery and hunt every weekend till the end of January.
For years I have been trying to put together a trip for moose. All my friends have expressed light interest, but never would commit. not getting any younger, so (at my wife's urging) I booked a trip this year (leaving in 2 weeks).
The guys can't understand how I can go alone. I don't know about anybody else but I don't need someone to hold my hand to do something I love. After all will be spending the week with a guide.
Anybody else chase their dreams alone!

There’s something to be said for peace and quiet with no agenda

Hunting with the right crew is awesome. But piecing a crew together who really don’t want to commit will only sour the experience and likely create unnecessary drama

90% of my racing, riding, hunting, shooting, or camping has always been a solo adventure. Waiting for other people to get their shit together to commit to a date and time for anything, or even come close to being on time after they did - just frustrates the crap out of me and starts any adventure off on the wrong foot.

Somebody recently asked me:
“What happens if you fall and get hurt out in the desert by yourself?”
Either I make it back by myself or I don’t. It’s all an adventure.

Somebody finding my carcass out in the desert dead sounds like a better option that laying in a hospice bed while pissing and shitting myself to bleed every last ounce of revenue out of the bank account I leave behind for my kids.

I hunted alone most of the time, most of my life, especially in wilderness and limited access areas. I hunted with bow and rifle. I've packed killed bull elk for miles alone in the Desolation unit. Almost Noone would put out that kind of effort...tracking, reading sign, go in after them in pole thickets many miles from the nearest road, 3 or 4 canyons deep. You make your own decisions and are responsible for the outcome.
It was a young man's sport because of all the work involved. But even in old age I still hunt alone but don't put out that amount of effort, and target shoot alone most of the time.
I like my own company, and hunting is between you and the game. No need to impress anyone, as most tend to think and do. Becareful, no cell phone or 911 out there. Self reliance, and learning from your mistakes, while enjoying the silence, smell, and beauty, as well as, experiencing harshness of nature. One of the most rewarding ways to experience hunting, is alone.

I've hunted mostly alone for the last 18 years. Even when I hunted in a group we've usually separated and went our own ways when doing the actual hunting. For me going out there alone is spiritual. I get connected to myself, my surroundings, and my maker. With much of the technology out there like a sat phone, sat beacon, or messaging system it's much safer. I don't have any of those items and HAVE to make it home to care for others. So I don't go farther than I can pack my irons out in a few hours.

Reactions: Modoc and MadDuner
I spear fish as well but the trips to Africa are getting expensive.
I like hunting alone , always tell someone my plans just in case of a emergency.
Dig the solitude of being alone.
I run long distances still , 99% of the time I run alone. Hate being on someone else’s time schedule.
Been Scuba Diving all over the world , I’ve Always had a dive buddy.🤔
Guess I’ve always had it my mind to never dive solo ?
🇺🇸

Last edited:
Reactions: MadDuner
I had a honey hole of a deer property for 10yrs. It was 30acres of timber and a transitionary ground between bedding and food source. Couldn't engineer it any better. Had cleared paths I could access by 4 wheeler and drag them out of the woods easily. Never used game cams, didn't need too because I always had a deer show per hunt.

I'll never forget having to low crawl into the stand as not to disturb the 20 some does and yearlings grazing near my stand. Then once I got in the stand, I had to freeze in place getting my heavy clothes on as bucks came down the hill one by one. LOL. I was able to pass on bucks that would give the orange army guys heart attacks. But like all good things, my time on that property ended when the son & grandson showed an interest in hunting. Happens all the time when you don't own your own property.

Contrast that to the property I was invited to hunt, run by the orange army type. 8 guys trying to hunt 80 acres, drunk or hung over, zero scent control. Always a clown show production of having to track every singe deer forever because nobody could shoot worth a fuck. Idiots getting out of their stands prematurely because they got cold and blowing the spot. I always come up with excuses not to hunt that place. That shit is anxiety producing, not relaxing as it should be.

The only big Western elk hunt I got to do was an Idaho bow hunt. Friend of mine invited me. There were 4 of us. His one other guy was cool and a methodical hunter, killed shit all over the world. The guy I got partnered with never shut the fuck up, and was this macho, one upper in every circumstance and conversation, bragged about how much money he made and his bonuses were what my yearly salary was...yeah, done soaked the fun out of that trip.

If I go again, I'll go myself, but with a guide I vetted prior to the trip.

Last edited:
I had a honey hole of a deer property for 10yrs. It was 30acres of timber and a transitionary ground between bedding and food source. Couldn't engineer it any better. Had cleared paths I could access by 4 wheeler and drag them out of the woods easily. Never used game cams, didn't need too because I always had a deer show per hunt.

I'll never forget having to low crawl into the stand as not to disturb the 20 some does and yearlings grazing near my stand. Then once I got in the stand, I had to freeze in place getting my heavy clothes on as bucks came down the hill one by one. LOL. I was able to pass on bucks that would give the orange army guys heart attacks. But like all good things, my time on that property ended when the son & grandson showed an interest in hunting. Happens all the time when you don't own your own property.

Contrast that to the property I was invited to hunt, run by the orange army type. 8 guys trying to hunt 80 acres, drunk or hung over, zero scent control. Always a clown show production of having to track every singe deer forever because nobody could shoot worth a fuck. Idiots getting out of their stands prematurely because they got cold and blowing the spot. I always come up with excuses not to hunt that place. That shit is anxiety producing, not relaxing as it should be.

The only big Western elk hunt I got to do was an Idaho bow hunt. Friend of mine invited me. There were 4 of us. His one other guy was cool and a methodical hunter, killed shit all over the world. The guy I got partnered with never shut the fuck up, and was this macho, one upper in every circumstance and conversation, bragged about how much money he made and his bonuses were what my yearly salary was...yeah, done soaked the fun out of that trip.

If I go again, I'll go myself, but with a guide I vetted prior to the trip.
Oh hell that's nothing. I hunted all over the ............... I'll let myslf out ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Ronws
I love Aloneness.

You mightn't happen to have a piece of cheese about you, now? No? Well, many's the long night I've dreamed of cheese—toasted, mostly

Reactions: Loner
Some of the coolest things I’ve seen in the mountains has been while hunting alone, closest I’ve felt to the land and the animals. As much as I’ve enjoyed it, I had often wished someone was there with me to see it too.

I still enjoy hunting alone, but hunting with my boys (ages 8-16) has become my favorite part. I have so many great memories hunting with my dad, even more precious since he’s gone (hard to believe it’s been 12 years), so it’s great to build those memories with my sons.

It’s definitely easier to tell stories about the one you missed when there is no one else to witness it though!

Reactions: Modoc and MadDuner
Bow hunting is a solo sport. Deer and antelope I prefer to be by myself. Coyote hunting by myself. Pheasant and upland I do with one or two friends, who have a bird dog.....my dogs aren't hunting dogs:).

I don't have elk or bear in my neighborhood so I've always used an outfitter, paying extra for one on one.

I also like the solitude of being out by myself.

Reactions: 45-90 and MadDuner
I love hunting with my kids and wife, but some of the most memorable moments I've had in the field it's just me and the dog. Nothing wrong with taking time to unplug from everything and do what ya love.
3.jpg

I hunted alone most of the time, most of my life, especially in wilderness and limited access areas. I hunted with bow and rifle. I've packed killed bull elk for miles alone in the Desolation unit. Almost Noone would put out that kind of effort...tracking, reading sign, go in after them in pole thickets many miles from the nearest road, 3 or 4 canyons deep. You make your own decisions and are responsible for the outcome.
It was a young man's sport because of all the work involved. But even in old age I still hunt alone but don't put out that amount of effort, and target shoot alone most of the time.
I like my own company, and hunting is between you and the game. No need to impress anyone, as most tend to think and do. Becareful, no cell phone or 911 out there. Self reliance, and learning from your mistakes, while enjoying the silence, smell, and beauty, as well as, experiencing harshness of nature. One of the most rewarding ways to experience hunting, is alone.
I mostly hunted Grizzly and Ochocco units. Now that I'm in Eastern part of the state I'm not too far from Desolation, but never hunted it.

Reactions: 45-90
Much the same.
I could rarely get anyone to go steep and deep with me and never twice. My best friend only went once and just could not keep pace. I made 2 trips to his one packing out meat over 2 days. I sorta figured he'd get in better shape but he was almost too sore to go to work for several days and vowed never again.
The last 10 years or so, I'd make sure I could walk back to a vehicle and get closer to the kill via road. Less effort. Lots of logging roads in most of north Idaho.
I have never owned stock but that's the way to go as far as I'm concerned. Mules...get one trained for riding and few for packing. This is how my uncle hunts to this day, pushing 90 years old.
Now that I have moved to Okrahoma, things changed dramatically. Just yesterday I parked a shooting house on my property with a nice view of 3 pastures. I have it on an aluminum trailer and I'll leave it on that trailer this season but I am going to build a tall platform, maybe 12'-15' to the deck, complete with stairs and a handrail, to place it on. I put a folding lawn chair in there and my tripod. I will have a Little Buddy heater and a cooler with ice cold water. Room for 2-3 people. I think I have my wife talked into going with me, first time ever.

I absolutely prefer to hunt alone. Most, but not all of the times I’ve hunted with people, they have been a boat anchor I had to drag around, or they created such a huge human footprint that you couldn’t get close to game. I use to hunt in Idaho with a lightweight backpack, down bag, and a bivy; no one else wanted to hunt that hard. I’ve never understood why people get up at 4 am and walk or ride a horse miles to the hunting grounds, then ride back at dark!?? I much prefer to hike in and stay there, even if alone. I’ve gone with a guide in Texas once; more like a guided harvest than a hunt, just not my thing. So yes, thumbs up to hunting alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuneBoer
Adding to my previous post of “I love aloneness”, I do stuff alone, often prefer that, but I have great family and many close friends, especially Jesus, so in life I never truly feel all alone. I think there is a big difference. I wouldn’t like the latter.

There is something awesome and unique about being alone on a mountaintop at sunset.

And what’s with all this technology and stuff I hear recommended before you go out? Have been hunting, snowboarding, hiking, road trips, dinner, etc. etc. and on occasion even got the truck buried axle deep in mud or snow a couple hours away from civilization. no cell phone. No sat phone. Just a shovel and handyman jack. Those two have been my companions on many a long night. 😀

Reactions: Modoc and xsn10s
Adding to my previous post of “I love aloneness”, I do stuff alone, often prefer that, but I have great family and many close friends, especially Jesus, so in life I never truly feel all alone. I think there is a big difference. I wouldn’t like the latter.

There is something awesome and unique about being alone on a mountaintop at sunset.

And what’s with all this technology and stuff I hear recommended before you go out? Have been hunting, snowboarding, hiking, road trips, dinner, etc. etc. and on occasion even got the truck buried axle deep in mud or snow a couple hours away from civilization. no cell phone. No sat phone. Just a shovel and handyman jack. Those two have been my companions on many a long night. 😀
I don't take much with me either. Many times not even a map. But I would not recommend it. Not everyone has either the experience, training, or knowledge of what to do out in the woods. I've seen people completely freak out during field maneuvers from being lost or alone. So this tech has it's place. One time I stepped off a deer trail to relieve myself. When I finished I noticed I step right where several paths crossed lol. And then I had the great luck of a dense fog roll in so I couldn't even see the sun to help me out. A GPS would of come in handy. After a few times of walking back and forth on the paths I figured it out and was back at my truck. My sense of direction was decent back then. It's not quite as good now.

Depends on the hunt. 95% of them, yes. I drew a mountain goat tag a few years ago in my home state after applying for nearly 30 years. I didn't end up getting one on the first part of a 10 day hunt when I had my brother out to help me. It was a grind.

I ended up killing one solo and things got pretty interesting on the way off the mountain. I was actually genuinely scared. It was steep, dark, and I had a fairly heavy pack on. I was also pretty spent and wasn't making the smartest choices I don't think. I slipped and fell on one part of the mountain and I didn't think I was going to get myself stopped. I wasn't going to fall into the abyss, but there were plenty of rocks and trees to hit on the way down for sure. I dug in with all my might and got myself stopped. I staggered the rest of the way down and barely made it to my truck, it was about 2 or 3 in the morning.

Looking back, I should have either walked off the mountain that day right after I shot it and came back, or built a fire and recharged myself for a bit. I realized that you are on a pretty slim margin for error and it wouldn't take much for things to compound on top of themselves and end up in a bad spot.

I still hunt alone, but it's not a bad idea to do a little risk assessment prior to your trip.

I don't take much with me either. Many times not even a map. But I would not recommend it. Not everyone has either the experience, training, or knowledge of what to do out in the woods. I've seen people completely freak out during field maneuvers from being lost or alone. So this tech has it's place. One time I stepped off a deer trail to relieve myself. When I finished I noticed I step right where several paths crossed lol. And then I had the great luck of a dense fog roll in so I couldn't even see the sun to help me out. A GPS would of come in handy. After a few times of walking back and forth on the paths I figured it out and was back at my truck. My sense of direction was decent back then. It's not quite as good now.
Step off the trail for a minute then what direction do I go? Yeah that can happen quick can’t it? This is a story of a very experienced hiker that died from essentially that very thing.

• Sad
Reactions: Modoc and xsn10s
I hunt alone. I have no friends nearby to hunt with. I do have a friend about 40 miles from me and his father has land in west Texas and maybe someday, we can go there for mule deer.

I take along a compass and blaze orange ribbon to mark my trails in (on public hunting land.

Someone can get lost.

I have not hunted that particular patch and it does not show up on the TPWD hunting book.

It is my time away and it is a form of exercise. I wear a backpack, hunt from the ground, and intend to quarter and pack out if I get one. They used to require taking a field dressed harvest to the deer check station on opening weekend and Thanksgiving weekend but there has not been enough harvest to make it worth it.

The compartments I have hunted are becoming crowded. Especially opening weekend and Thanksgiving weekend. And I did not go out this last weekend, which was the start of general season for the north sector. I had some other chores to get done and would rather wait for cooler weather.

I don't mind hunting alone and since I live only an hour away, it is not a problem to get up early and go to hunt and be done and home afterward.

No lol. My comment was meant to be a joke...apparently not a good one

I was suggesting Bass Pro as they are CONUS, usually cheaper travel wise to get to, and most often times have a tank stocked with fish. I will say it's a bit touch-n-go with getting out of there with the fish. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: AngryKoala
I hunt (Bowhunt) by myself 90% of the time.
Nothing like the smell of the woods, the sun coming up and everything waking up around you.

I dont know what I bench press and dont work in concrete. 😂

Having nearly no social skills, I do pretty much everything alone. It can get 'lonely' at times, but generally I find it more simple than dealing with most people for more than a few minutes.

Not to say there arent many great people out there, I just dont fit into the pack.

I'm reminded of the line by Leonard Cohen:

"Love is not a victory march, its a cold, and very broken, Hallelujah"

Reactions: Ronws
I have several friends that I hunt with, but none of them hunt as much as I do. I start early archery and hunt every weekend till the end of January.
For years I have been trying to put together a trip for moose. All my friends have expressed light interest, but never would commit. not getting any younger, so (at my wife's urging) I booked a trip this year (leaving in 2 weeks).
The guys can't understand how I can go alone. I don't know about anybody else but I don't need someone to hold my hand to do something I love. After all will be spending the week with a guide.
Anybody else chase their dreams alone!
You hunt to hunt. They hunt to fuck around in camp.

Both are fine, a guy just usually has to choose one or the other to really lean into.

You can probably guess what choice I always made.

Reactions: navynambu
Having nearly no social skills, I do pretty much everything alone. It can get 'lonely' at times, but generally I find it more simple than dealing with most people for more than a few minutes.

Not to say there arent many great people out there, I just dont fit into the pack.

I'm reminded of the line by Leonard Cohen:

"Love is not a victory march, its a cold, and very broken, Hallelujah"
I agree with Leonard but Jeff sang it better. Then, again, Leonard was not much of a singer but that was not the point. The beauty of the song is there.

Reactions: Maggot
I agree with Leonard but Jeff sang it better. Then, again, Leonard was not much of a singer but that was not the point. The beauty of the song is there.
Both are great. Jeff's was more from the heart.

We have 6 spots on our deer lease. Last year, I don’t think I saw any of the other guys at all. The year before that? Maybe one other, one time.

Last year, hunting was a mission. Get in. Get a deer. Get out. Food? It just dulls your senses.

We have 2 new guys this year and the dynamic is totally different. Meal planning. (One guy is a professional caterer.) Drinking and smoking and bullshitting until 3am. (2 guys are cops) Upgrades to camp. Etc. One guy is morally against morning “hunts.”

There’s room for social hunters and serious hunters. But there are differences too.

Reactions: Modoc and NFAJohn
I’ve hunted with my son and dad. Or by myself. Fishing is the same ! Nothing like being alone in Gods creation for peace and thinking👍

I do try and go deer hunting down in TX every year, but my main type of hunting is rabbit. When I rabbit hunt, I prefer being alone. The rare times I deer hunt I'm always with friends. My deer hunting friends get so annoyed with me because I'm one of those hunters that doesn't believe in hunting pics and I never wanna be in the group pic with all our deer we shot. To me it's funny because then they have to explain why there's just a random deer in the pic with nobody behind it. :ROFLMAO:

I always enjoyed hunting with my dad, but these days I’m happier alone. Even if I don’t see much in the way of game I get quiet time by myself in the outdoors. That’s priceless.

Growing up, my best friend's dad had 147 acres that he maintains, plants and hunts religiously. We're about 17, maybe 18? and my buddy says to his dad, "hey me and Pilot want to get out and sit a stand this weekend, can we head up north?"

His dad immediately stopped what he was doing, gave him the most incredulous look and said:

"You wanna huh, do what? You wanna hunt MY SHIT?! You didn't put in on this, man!"

So my buddy laughed and was like, "OK but actually, can we?"

"Fuck no you can't hunt my shit! Are you fuckin crazy??"

Looking back, I think the moral of the story, or the hunting advice was, "don't be poor, and buy your own land."

I'm still poor 😭 and still own no land.

I am usually running solo too. Part comes from having been a Hunter Education instructor for almost 35 years. Because of the practing what I preach, I became VERY choosy about who I hunted with. Be it game laws and ESPECIALLY SAFETY.

It is great when Memsab can go with me, but other commitments interfere. I do cary map, compas, gps, Garmin inreach, GMRS Radio, and a CB in the rig (redundancy is important). Self Rescue is always on my mind, but not enough to keep me home 😁.

A - I'm never alone . Jesus and my heavenly Father are with me whether in a stand or walking the woods .

B - The voices keep me company . Sometimes Dave will critique a shot . Dave is very angry . The other voices like when he sleeps .