• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft Do you own a ride this does not have an ECM

I have 73 Nova with no ECM...however the HEI ignition has a module that might be susceptible to an EMP...lol

I've a 73 F350 ford w/a 350SBC an Trans in it. The HEI is still in it but I also carry a Dual point with all the trimming in one of the tool boxes. We did some testing on the HEI's an Fords Dura Spark 2 & 3's they all passed go. We were worried about the Voltage regs in the single wire alts, but they stood the test as well. One guy had a digital radio in his truck, that got trashed though. The old transistor an tube radios passed as well.

Cj5 pretty sure it doesn’t have an ecm

SP370 got no time for EMP.

Attachments

• 20190910_184643.jpg
    20190910_184643.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 27

"I also must re-emphasize the fact that during Soviet high-altitude nuclear tests over Kazakhstan in 1962, rugged diesel generators having no solid state parts were burned out by E1 EMP. In an important international electromagnetics conference in 1994, after the breakup of the Soviet Union, General Vladimir Loborev delivered an important technical paper in which he stated, "The matter of this phenomenon is that the electrical puncture occurs at the weak point of a system. Next, the heat puncture is developed at that point, under the action of the power voltage; as a result, the electrical power source is put out of action very often." This illustrates that even vehicles without an electronic ignition or other electronic components are not completely immune from EMP."

Reactions: Alpine 338
I’m restoring a 42 Ford GPW otherwise known as a Willy’s Jeep. Ain’t got no stinking ECM lol

1980 IHC Scout Factory Diesel... Only ECM required is a brain to know that the fuel shut off is a push pull lever and if you don't know that, you can start or shut it down....

I have so many ECMs I have spares on my desk plugged into even more computers. Some of my work is building digital diesel service tools.

People who assume all electronics are subject to EMP, and everything else is fine, will be very surprised if the atomic fires ever do come. I read One Second After. No. Very confident it won't be like that.

Reactions: E. Bryant
Don't want to hyjack but anyone figured how to EMP proof your electronic locked gun safe ? That is when you'll need your guns.

Any sort of electricity failure is why I will not purchase a digital combo safe...old school turn knobs for me.
GL
DT

I even had a few digital locks. And since then (multi-week failures getting them working etc), have worked IoT hardware etc. Nope. The more I know, the more I am not doing that. My technical security pro friends are even less inclined to digital locks.

I have Simplex locks on my arms room and cages. Pushbutton, but not an electron in sight.

Last edited:
Didn't some of the smaller older ones have a lever to disengage compression so you could hand crank them up to speed then engage it?
Yes, many of the older diesels had a compression release, as well as many older gas farm tractors. The last Cummins that I know of was the small cam 855's. Long ago in another life I started a few of them by hand, to make a little pocket change. A compression release can be added to most diesels but it's not cheap.

I'm assuming you mean a horse? How far is your nom ecm truck getting you? How much fuel do you have stored and how long will last being consumer by that 5mpg apocalypse nightrider driving you to the bogaloo round up and back in one night

"I also must re-emphasize the fact that during Soviet high-altitude nuclear tests over Kazakhstan in 1962, rugged diesel generators having no solid state parts were burned out by E1 EMP. In an important international electromagnetics conference in 1994, after the breakup of the Soviet Union, General Vladimir Loborev delivered an important technical paper in which he stated, "The matter of this phenomenon is that the electrical puncture occurs at the weak point of a system. Next, the heat puncture is developed at that point, under the action of the power voltage; as a result, the electrical power source is put out of action very often." This illustrates that even vehicles without an electronic ignition or other electronic components are not completely immune from EMP."

I'm guessing part of that is because the generator is a giant coil of wire and as such picks up lots and lots of energy.
Probably the actual motor didn't burn out but the generator part probably did.

I'm assuming you mean a horse? How far is your nom ecm truck getting you? How much fuel do you have stored and how long will last being consumer by that 5mpg apocalypse nightrider driving you to the bogaloo round up and back in one night
Depending the kind of fuel,... one you can make from wood,... an the other is in every utility transformer out there. Would you be driving the roads far from home? Most likely not,... as you would be target one for many reasons. However having a running truck/tractor to move/haul stuff, pump water make huge amounts of electricity fast, while snatching the rejected heat to make hot water as well would be a major plus, if you have 20+ people in one spot.

Fuel is not the issue once you think out of the box,... If it should go to shit many will revert try to revert to steam. Reverting to or making steam boilers an steam engines is best done prior to, but you will be called crazy. Ask me how I know that? Steam an DC power, powering DC fregs an freezers, with wood gas as a cooking/water heater fuel will make life much easier so one can concentrate on more important things.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I'm still having problems wrapping my head around the idea of the E1 wave taking out a generator winding. From futurescience's own definition:

"The pulse typically rises to its peak value in about 5 nanoseconds. The magnitude of this pulse typically decays to half of its peak value within 200 nanoseconds. (By the IEC definition, this E1 pulse is ended at one microsecond (1000 nanoseconds) after it begins.)"

So this high-frequency wave is somehow going to couple into a highly-inductive load, generate sufficient voltage to punch through the winding insulation (keeping in mind that the turn-to-turn voltage is a small fraction of the terminal-to-terminal voltage), and then generates sufficient heat to harm the winding... all in less than a microsecond?

I'm no expert in this area - only have a bachelor's in electrical engineering, have done some solenoid and motor design, and a bit of automotive EMC validation testing - so maybe I'm being really naive. But the people that know more than me don't seem to be willing to talk, and the ones who know less simply aren't making sense.

Fuel is not the issue once you think out of the box,... If it should go to shit many will revert try to revert to steam. Reverting to or making steam boilers an steam engines is best done prior to, but you will be called crazy. Ask me how I know that? Steam an DC power, powering DC fregs an freezers, with wood gas as a cooking/water heater fuel will make life much easier so one can concentrate on more important things.

Quite a long time ago someone did a great documentary about setting up this farm in India to literally run off poop.
All the waste from humans, animals, trash etc was put into fermenters and the resulting methane was collected in big giant bag type things and that was used to run the cooking and electrical generation systems, Then they even converted one of the vehicles to run off it & it had this huge big bag of gas on the roof.

Quite a long time ago someone did a great documentary about setting up this farm in India to literally run off poop.
All the waste from humans, animals, trash etc was put into fermenters and the resulting methane was collected in big giant bag type things and that was used to run the cooking and electrical generation systems, Then they even converted one of the vehicles to run off it & it had this huge big bag of gas on the roof.
Many states have landfills that have large engines running on Methane. Wells are punch into them an the gas is piped to the engines that run many things. Ga had a bunch back in the late 90's as 2 of the 3416's came in for overhaul at the same time,... after the owner tried to extend the lube oil changes,...which he did right threw the crankshafts,...LOL

At that pork processing plant that I've referred to previous (12k killed, a day) ALL of the waste is flushed into a pair of huge lagoons. I'm not talking about the entrails removed in the processing, but all that which hits the floor and goes to the drains.

Those lagoons are actually huge 'football field' size rubber 'bladders'. A specific bacteria is 'farmed' inside said bladders, specifically to create methane. That methane is then burned off in a co-gen plant, which powers the processing plant. As well as the heat is harvested through multiple exchangers for heating the plant. After the bio-load is reduced to specific parameters, what's left then goes through a wastewater facility, and (after heavy monitoring) is released into the nearby river.

These two bladders are cycled regularly, and as much efficiency as economically possible is the goal. I'm not saying that 'it could be better', but I will say that many/most other companies do worse. The infrastructure is huge, and there's no denying that. But the returns are also huge.

And, in its own little way, they're harnessing nature to clean instead of introducing more chemicals and whatnot. (lightly stated, without any actual presumptions.)

Reactions: W54/XM-388