• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you prefer Stock or Chassis?

Depends on what type of comp you plan to shoot and mainly what type of rest. I shoot mainly FOpen and have one chassis gun and one Stock and the pistol grip on the Chassis always gets in the way of the rear bag and front rest combo. It works fine on my FTR gun though.

Reactions: RIGGS9985
I love walnut and blue steel and own several such examples including a 7.62x51 single shot Remington 40X, but I replaced it with a Bergara BMP in 6.5CM for our monthly club matches. I put it in a Caldwell Precision Turret shooting rest and have not looked back. I have not won a first yet but am planning on it and with factory ammo! Nearly everyone in the club reloads but that's a road I don't want to go down yet.

I’m a rookie to the competitive shooting side of our hobby, but have decided to shoot a few matches this year. I have a bartlein barreled impact in 6creed that I have had in both manners T2A and LssXL Gen2 and I honestly can’t decide on which I prefer for feel. The manners is far better on the eyes
What do you prefer for your rifle?
View attachment 7570508
View attachment 7570509View attachment 7570510View attachment 7570512View attachment 7570513View attachment 7570514
Both look mighty fine to me. But then I'm just a simple gun nut. Probably prefer the tactical look when it gets down to brass tacks.

I prefer chassis but shooting ARs is what got me into shooting before I went over to bolt guns outside of just your typical hunting so that might be why.
I say buy both. Worst case scenario you got 2 guns

Personally I like a chassis better on modern rifles. I just shoot them better. I think it is just the adjustability of them but I think older hunting rifles with stocks are beautiful. I have my dads old weatherby 300 win mag hanging in my office. I just like the looks of it.

I prefer the feel of a fiberglass stock the most. If you are even considering using the stock/chassis for hunting that will rule out a chassis. Chassis get cold and are hard to hold onto. I think a chassis should only be used on a bench

I prefer the feel of a fiberglass stock the most. If you are even considering using the stock/chassis for hunting that will rule out a chassis. Chassis get cold and are hard to hold onto. I think a chassis should only be used on a bench

JAE's don't get cold.

But I also wouldn't suggest they are optimal for hunting purposes either. But they are comfortable at much more then a simple bench.

Here is my bottom line. I have a $550 Weatherby Vanguard in 25-06. It is a nice rifle. Easily meets three shot guarantee from a cold barrel. Has a decent composite stock. I have used this rifle and it has been the most successful rifle in allowing me to put meat on the table. I have discussed this rifle previously. I Love It! BUT, I have a terrible time getting a good sight picture through the scope.

Tuesday, my MPA production rifle comes in with a comp chassis. Go to my Frank Galli book to remind myself how to adjust the rifle. Adjust the length of pull, mount the scope, adjust the cheekpiece and the scope, all done. I sit down at a bench, put my face to the chassis, and I get a perfect scope picture.

I grew up on the water. My family sailed Inland Lake Racing Scows made of wood. The finishing, even under the decks where no one would ever see, was FLAWLESS! (I know because being small, I was sent under the decks with a sponge to get every little drop of water out to lighten the boat before the race). Fine Finishing of GOD’s creations is the high point of human art. Ever stare at a Picasso and wonder what he was thinking / drinking? Then look at a superbly finished walnut stock and a fine rifle or shotgun. Even the Remington’s of the 60’s and 70’s with their high gloss finish can be impressive. But,

Put my face to a chassis that even, I an amateur can adjust, it works. In the end, its what we use and what we can admire.

2D1479A8-6EE8-4C71-983B-A09E49DCA62F.jpeg
Photograph from National Geographic

Last edited:
Reactions: tex68w
I much prefer a stock, however with the current pricing on manners and similar stocks I ended up going with an mdt xrs. It’s the best of both worlds. Feels stocklike but has all the cool crap that comes with a chassis.

Reactions: CaptArab
Manners TCS is a great compromise. Feels better than any chassis I've owned. I'm also living in the North East, and those aluminum chassis are mighty cold to hang on to here November to April. TCS has a ton of adjustment for fit and weight. Really is my favorite.
What he said.

For me, cost is a definitive factor.

Shooting Savage Short Actions, I have latched onto the Choate Savage Tactical Stock. Even with 2 1/4" of Choate stock extenders and an adjustable Kydex cheek rest installed, they still run about $350, and THAT I can afford.

While the Midway ad makes mention of the Choate Spacer system for Tactical and Varmint Stocks, it is NOT included with the stock.

This is the version needed. It provides a 1/4", 1/2", or 3/4" addition, and they can be stacked, you just may need to go down the the local hardware store to get longer mounting screws. My setup uses a a stack of three 3/4" Spacers. At a 6 1/2ft height, I need a healthy LOP boost.

Greg

Last edited:
I’m a rookie to the competitive shooting side of our hobby, but have decided to shoot a few matches this year. I have a bartlein barreled impact in 6creed that I have had in both manners T2A and LssXL Gen2 and I honestly can’t decide on which I prefer for feel. The manners is far better on the eyes
View attachment 7570508
View attachment 7570509View attachment 7570510View attachment 7570512View attachment 7570513View attachment 7570514

View attachment 7570508
I like a chassis better.And with the Straight 90 degree angle.Im not comfotable with the one thats about a 45 degree angle..Everyone likes something different. As they should..It is gonna depend on which fits you best.I dont think one is better than the other for long range shooting..For hunting Id take the stock because it is nornally lighter.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *