• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Do You Set The Soulder Back on a Semi

Williamb

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
Southwest CT
I just started loading for a LWRC REPR 7.62x51. Fired formed case shoulders measure 1.6380" using a stoney point headspace gauge. Fully resized cases measure 1.6280". That's a difference of .0100". If this was a bolt gun I would set the shoulder back about .003" and continue to try to develop a more accurate load.

I am unsure if I should set the shoulder back on this rifle since it is a semi or just use fully resized cased. I don't want to have a situation of FTFs. Any suggestions based upon what you do would be helpful.

Thanks,

Re: Do You Set The Soulder Back on a Semi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Williamb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just started loading for a LWRC REPR 7.62x51. Fired formed case shoulders measure 1.6380" using a stoney point headspace gauge. Fully resized cases measure 1.6280". That's a difference of .0100". If this was a bolt gun I would set the shoulder back about .003" and continue to try to develop a more accurate load.

I am unsure if I should set the shoulder back on this rifle since it is a semi or just use fully resized cased. I don't want to have a situation of FTFs. Any suggestions based upon what you do would be helpful.

Thanks, </div></div>

William,
.010 shoulder setback is way too much for a semi. Your going to start getting case seperations real fast with that much. Here is my normal standard for shoulder setback. If your using the reloaded ammo in the same gun it was fired in you dont need a lot of setback

Bolt gun: .001 to .0015
Semi .003 max

I do neither, I put the shouder back to spec. This means some cases need no sholder adjustment, and some need 0.003-ish. It depends on the brass and where it is in its life cycle.

I've been doing something that definitely goes against conventional wisdom but has worked so far for me. I'm loading .223 for my AR using a lee collet neck die, charging die, seating die and a lee factory crimp set lightly in my 550. I'm running them through dry so all I have to do is start w/ clean brass that has been fired in the gun I'm using. I can load them as fast as pistol ammo and I've been able to keep the accuracy to 1 moa out to 450 yards my personal ranges limit. This only works with brass fired from 1 gun and I probably wouldn't use it in a match or for self defense but for steel shooting and varmints it sure saves a lot of time.

John L I agree with your advice. I will set the shoulder back about .002 to .003.. I have looked at my reloading notes and I set the shoulder back on my AR15s / .223s .003. No reason not to do it on the 7.62x51.

Gotta agree here. I only go .002-.003 and have never had a problem with FTF.

on 223 I've found that ince fired LC drops right into a SAAMI 223 case guase.....so its probebly not the best comparison for 308 work.

I'd go .003" and rock on.