• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Do you want to try a Mil / Mil Scope ?

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Show me your set up, let me know that you interested in exploring a Mil / Mil scope and your wish may come true.

This week only so you have to let me know by September 9th that you're interested, and you have a need.

Post a picture of your current setup and why you want to try a Mil Mil scope...

Re: Do you want to try a Mil / Mil Scope ?

228.jpg

I'd like to try a Mil/Mil scope because the scope I've got on the way won't be here for months (Vortex PST) and I'd like to have matching turrets and reticle. I've got a bipod on the way which will be unused mostly with Irons as it currently has. I also already have a scope mount for a scope I currently don't have... or I will once my package gets back from Todd (30calsniper) from painting to match the rifle. I've already chronoed some of the loads for my setup and have steel on the way to shoot with some buddies, but no optics means not shooting longer distance. I can hit 100-200y with irons no problem, I enjoy shooting to challenge myself.

I look forward to seeing everyone elses setup.

EDIT: more details

EDIT 2: Picture with new addons.

022.jpg

Don't need to borrow a scope, but wanted to say thats a damn decent offer and the sort of thing that marks out this forum....

Very interested! Reason being is that my current scope is an older Bushnell Elite 4200. According to the specs its supposed to have 50MOA of travel but mine and everyone else who has one seems to only be getting 44MOA. I recently just had my rifle cut to 21.75 and after zeroing, even with a 20MOA base, I cant get past 1K yards without using holdovers. One of the targets in the matches at the range I go to (Thunder Valley in Ohio) is at 1165 yards so its a real pain. There is also a target at 1050 that I have to use holdovers as well. Not to mention that the Elite is not FFP so I have to make sure to be on the right power when using holdovers as well as do the conversion from MOA to MIL when Im trying to figure out my holdover. I really think I want my next scope to be Mil/Mil and was planning on replacing my Elite with the Vortex Viper PST once it is available. Having the chance to test out a Mil/Mil first would be great. Also, there are quite a few members from this forum close to me, including a site sponsor that Im sure would be interested to try it as well if that is of any interest to you.

My setup is a Remington 700 5R with the following work recent done by Mark at Short Action Customs

1. Setback the barrel and recut the factory chamber
    2. Cut the barrel from 24" to 21.75 and recrown
    3. Installed a new APA Little Bastard Muzzlebrake
    4. Faced the Action and blueprinted the bolt.
    5. Lapped the recoil lugs
    6. Trigger job (Adjusted to just over 2 lbs
    7. I never really liked the 5" sunshade that came with my Bushnell so he chopped it to 3" which I think looks a ton better.
    Paint is just krylon.

Mine is the one in the back.
    IMAG0219.jpg

Before chopping the shunshade
    IMG_0402Large.jpg

More pictures of my setup can be found here:
    http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads....487#Post1960487

I've already tasted the mil/mil koolaid. It's sweet!!!

On the range picking off rocks or out in the field I feel like I'm cheating it's so simple and intuitive.

My only problem is that I can only afford one good scope!

Pics coming later (I'm posting this in between trying to make/bill for money...), but here goes:

I have an M1A with a British "make" mil/mil that I love, but the optics are just not high end and it starts to run out of windage past 600 or so.

BUT my son has a new 6.5 Creedmoor that's really showing some promise, and a "BDC" scope with 1/4 MOA clicks and a couple of Mil-Dots on the horizontal reticle. And it's SFP, to boot! Before rebarreling the thing, he had already botched one shot with a combination of reticle/clicks/zoom errors.

So, set me up and I'll let him take my cheaper one (he's active USMC on a big exercise right now and cannot speak for himself), OR you could just set him up. Remmie 700, trued and such by RW Snyder, some kinda spendy stock, and a 20 MOA base out of Idaho.

Pics tomorrow if I'm lucky...

I am a local LEO that has to use my personal gear for work due to budget cuts. My current setup was equipped with a Leupold MK4 with a Duplex reticle which I use on our RRT team at work. Recently during training the rifle fell down some stairs and my scope was done. This would be the perfect opportunity to try a MIL/MIL scope.

I'd love a crack at a new mil/mil scope. Here is my story; I shot/competed with USO and S&B optics up until 2 years ago, the economy forced me to sell all of my rifles and optics. Now I shoot a stock PSS with a Falcon Menace, so as you can see, I got spoiled with quality optics. Its a shame that my primary optic (which has failed twice) is a $400 scope, a damn shame. Thats my story.

gun083.jpg

I got a winchester model 70 in 300 win mag. with black synthetic stock and a simmons 3-9x32 scope. I also got a guntec 9 to 12 bipod. I purchased this rifle to start shooting. Nothing like the rigs i have seen on here but it is a start. I have a b&l 4000 elite scope on lawaway right now to put on this rifle hopefully later this week.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abenewson/3395932835/

Mil/mil would be a lot better than the Mildot reticle/MOA adjustment I have to deal with, but I don't think you could get a scope to me quickly. Oh yeah, and one of the M14s out here was for some reason issued out with a Tasco piece of shit, which we broke the other day. Wish the Army/Navy would get their shit together....

38111_1503087227931_1556757849_2823588_8131987_n.jpg

Frank is actually the guy that hooked me up with my first mil/mil, and did so at a great price.
    I'm sure he's got something that's gonna make somebody's day up his short sleeve...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QikEnuF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Oh yeah, and one of the M14s out here was for some reason issued out with a Tasco piece of shit, which we broke the other day. </div></div>
    There are piles of M14s with Tasco scopes (Super Sniper)on them.

Here's my rig, just a M700VLS action dropped into a AICS. Currently wearing a NF 3-15x50 MOA/Mildot. If I had a chance to go Mil/Mil, I would pay forward this NF to someone wanting to get into LR tactical shooting.

MyRig.jpg

No "story" to tell, everyone has drama in their lives. No need to share mine. Same old, same old.

Id love to have my NXS MLR/ .25 MOA upgraded to a MIL/MIL scope.
    Mil/MOA sucks when you can spot how much you missed by with a MIL reticle, but have to calculate the adjustments in MOA.
    No money to upgrade my current scope. Id gladly pass this on to someone for a MIL/MIL setup.

tucson7.jpg

Spending $3K+ at TacOps on your daddy's Savage hardly constitutes a need to working men here in the states.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spending $3K+ at TacOps on your daddy's Savage hardly constitutes a need to working men here in the states. </div></div>
    Wow thats record time to bash me on a post, 6 minutes!

I spent all my money on my rig, and now I dont have any to get the scope setup the way I want it.
    Id love to try out a top dollar scope in MIL/MIL like a USO/NF/S&B/Hensoldt/Premier. It would make shooting much easier

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who said top dollar, you all are assuming a lot.

</div></div>

ATN mil/mil.......
    laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who said top dollar, you all are assuming a lot.

</div></div>

Shit ill try any MIL/MIL as long as it has clear enough glass to shoot out to 1000 yds. I just hate Mil/MOA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who said top dollar, you all are assuming a lot.

</div></div>

ATN mil/mil.......
    laugh.gif
    </div></div>
    Barska SWAT??? lMAO

I DO I DO!

Trying to save my pennies for a MIL/MIL NFX and a trip to RO but its gonna be a while yet.

742d1e0c.jpg

Howdy!I would love to try a Mil/Mil scope on my current setup.I can't do any machine work since my accident so a buddy that wanted to learn riflesmithing helped me on this.It is a Parker-Hale M86 reciever and bolt,machined true and lapped additionally.It has a custom base made from Picatinny stock from EGW,properly bedded.I don't remember who made the barrel as it was in some of my older stocks of parts,I checked it and the twist is 1:10.It is match chambered,finished to 18 inches and recessed crowned.The action is bedded in a NOS PH M84 walnut stock which is fitted with the original steel bipod and an Eagle stock pack from Triad.I finished assembling it last week and planned on shooting it this week before having it Cerakoted but I had to go get my prosthetics tuned up and haven't been able to get to the range yet. This was not a high dollar build by any means,I found the stock at a good price and the rest of the parts followed.I had an extra SS 20X but I let my buddy have that for helping with the build.Anyway would love to give one a try and I'll get some pics up tommorrow.Thanks for the chance!
    100_1000.jpg
    100_1003.jpg
    100_1004.jpg

url]
    [/img]

I'm on the right, NOMAD is on the left (He won BTW!)

I'm saving to go MIL/MIL right now. I live in the west and we have LOTS of wind. I want to switch because when my buddy says, "Dial 2 mils left" I don't have to say, "Ummmm, Ok, let me get my calculator." (I know, I can hold 2 mils easier but it sounded good anyway.)

It's not really that bad but I need to switch to be just a bit faster if I ever have a hope of catching Nomad.

KeithR41

Otherpics008.jpg

I have been wanting to get a mil/mil scope ever since I was shown the simplicity of using it. It was almost too good to be true. As of now I want to get my handloads chrony'd so I can get some dopes made up. Once I get that done and have the dopes done in Mils, all in my world will be aligned. Regardless of which brand I get it will be a Mil/Mil scope. Been looking at the Bushnell 3200, since I got the standard tactical, the weaver model, or even the divorce inducing cost of a NXS or USO.

Oh, and learning from my mistakes, I have upgraded to much better rings since that pic.. In addition to a bedding job based on WNRoscoes instructions.

Dear Mr. Lowlight sir,
    I would like to be considered for the MIL/MIL scope offer you have ever so graciously made available to all of us. My current setup is really not worthy to even be shown on the same internet that you use, just because of your pure excellence. (Deep enough yet?)
    Here is my current setup:
    FN PBR 24" barrel
    CDI Bottom Metal
    (and now for the problem child)
    Millet LRS1 with 1/8MOA
    I'm slowly trying to put this thing together as funds allow, and still have money to attend RO next year.
    sorry for the crappy cell phone pic...
    100_0271.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TLong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear Mr. Lowlight sir,
    I would like to be considered for the MIL/MIL scope offer you have ever so graciously made available to all of us. My current setup is really not worthy to even be shown on the same internet that you use, just because of your pure excellence. (Deep enough yet?)
    </div></div>
    Brown noser.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TLong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear Mr. Lowlight sir,
    </div></div>
    Brown noser.</div></div>

LMAO

isnichwahr-de-hello.jpg

Im such a metric bastard. Its just damm difficult to think/shoot whit MOA/MIl reticle. It takes too much time!
    SUC50276.jpg

But these scopes were the only scopes whit "target"turrets at my price range back then.

Oh how times have changet!

You guys are all assuming it's a NF or other mid to high dollar optic, but I'm banking on it being that Weaver Grand Slam 3-10... In which case I'd still be all over using it to practice for a while.

EDIT: said NG, meant NF as in Night Force

You all assume you get to keep it, could just be for testing and then return.

I would like to be considered for the mil/mil rifle scope simply because I cant afford a scope at this time. The company I worked for 27 straight years started feeling the crunch of the economy about three years ago. We went from 40 hour weeks to 20 hour weeks, which I worked for two years before the co. shut the doors Sept. 30 2009.
    AS far as firearms go I have sold most of what I own, the only ones left are family heirlooms and a glock 27 used for carry and home protection. I had, a glock 23 for home protection but used it as a partial trade to an hide member for a rifle I felt I could do both longrange shooting and some hunting.
    <span style="text-decoration: line-through">I cant show you the complete rig because It is torn down for paint and I doubt it will be back together before the ninth, but</span> I have some before and after photos.

I am not in as bad of shape as some people in todays economy or world,I am not in danger, losing my house or going hungry, but would appreciate your consideration.
    6mm Remington 700 varmint weight 1-9 twist,Chote stock, Burris extreme bases,and my version of Vietnam memorial wall / woodland camo paint.
    David
    Before
    before1.jpg

After
    Vietcomplete.jpg

I would love to try a mil/mil scope. Just to have everything a the same page as far as ranging, holding, dialing. To learn how do range with the recitle, Basicly so I can learn scope fundamentals of optics that my current scope does not allow me to do. Sorry no pics for now, 1800 miles away on short notice for a family medical emergancy. Will get them up if we make it though the storm in time. If I am selected I will pay it forward with my old scope.
    Rem 700 blueprinted
    takeoff 308 rem 700 sps varmint barrel Duracoated
    Factory trigger turned to 2.5 lbs
    HS takeoff stock, bedded, textured, flush cups installed and duracoated
    seekins rail
    leupold qrw rings
    burris black diamond 3-12x50 x/ duplex and 1/8 moa turns
    All work done by me except paint.

Thanks for the chance either way.

While I would love to have another Mil/Mil scope (it's the only way I would go now that I have been spoiled with it,) I think there are far better candidates than me in this thread to be getting one, and I would like to pass up my chance for one one of these other guys.

-Bob

Mil/Mil scopes are just a fad. Next you'll think those fancy new fangled FFP scopes are an advantage
    wink.gif

Frank,

Hook those boys in uniform up! If any one on this site needs a Mil/Mil it's our men in the field.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mil/Mil scopes are just a fad. Next you'll think those fancy new fangled FFP scopes are an advantage
    wink.gif
    </div></div>
    laugh.gif

I remember when i sucked just as bad this a Simmons 44mag as I do now....

I have both S&Bs and Premiers on my full size sticks but wanted something a little less on my .22 trainer. Enter...WEAVER from Midway. A true Mil/Mil scope on sale this month for $299.00 and worth every penny. As bright as my big boys? Nope. But bright enough? damned straight. I was very impressed for a 1" tube. Clear as a bell. Solid clicks on the hugh knobs. Only problem, I had to buy 1" rings. Add this to an EGW base that they custom ground to 20 MOA and I'm on my way. Try this, you'll like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are all assuming it's a NF or other mid to high dollar optic, but I'm banking on it being that Weaver Grand Slam 3-10... In which case I'd still be all over using it to practice for a while.

EDIT: said NG, meant NF as in Night Force </div></div>

That'd work fine on the glass-less M14 we have. It's a national match rifle, but the Navy saw fit to issue it to our EOD guy with a Tasco that promptly broke once he got out here. Good job brass....

Well, I sure could use some glass, I have a early 90's vintage Bushnell seen on the M25 & probably same vintage Leupold VX-II on the EBR.

Oh damn my Win70 300wby has no glass presently on it, damn looks like another trip to Walmart for a scope before deer season
    sick.gif

30mm or 1 inch I have rings

james800.jpg

smithsage800.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KingKong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im such a metric bastard. Its just damm difficult to think/shoot whit MOA/MIl reticle. It takes too much time!</div></div>The math is a bit easier because everything is already decimal-based, e.g. target size = 55 cm = .55 meters. But if you get used to thinking of target sizes in English units as decimals, then it's about the same, e.g. 18 inches = .5 yards. I always find it easiest to multiply the target size by 1000 first, then just deal with the division by mils subtended.

Well, whoever gets to try out the scope will, I'm sure, be appreciative. I hope it's FFP as well.

I would love to be included in the chance to try this scope as I am going to be learning at the same time once I can afford to get optics for my sps tactical that is at short action customs getting the "face lift" done to it now.

But it seems there are more deserving individuals posting in this thread.

Savage 10FP .308
    Choate Tactical Stock with DBM (purchased from hide member)
    Harris 6-9 swivel with podlock-(Thanks Kasey for the lock!!!)
    Weaver 2 piece base and weaver rings
    Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40 (Mil receptacle & side focus)

Learned the hard way a mil receptacle doesn’t mean mil adjustments and that MOA adj are something very different (<span style="font-weight: bold">Lessons </span>learned
    smile.gif
    ). Would like to try a different scope so that I am able to determine the best optics choice in the future for me and confirm Mil/Mil is the way I want to head. There are many people worse off then I, so being honest no sob story here, just want more education on optics and a chance to test others out there to again confirm which path I want to head down. Thanks

rifle2.jpg

Wow lots of submissions to go through, which is fine after I get back from RO come October I will probably have another scope to give away.

But keep them coming I will be looking them over, we have until Thursday

I already have two Mil/Mil setups, so I would like to nominate "Sumpter Steve"

He has a Leupold on his rifle right now and I know he has a POF on the way that will need a proper scope.

His Rifle is the one in the AICS behind me:

100_6617.jpg

Hell, whether its a loaner or a freebie, the opportunity to get some time in on one of these really cool. Not too many chances to take a crack at this around here. I know there are some guys that go to LVshooter's matches that probably have em, but a match usually doesnt offer the time for a test drive.

I started out with a mil/moa scope. After doing some shooting with targets from 200 all way to 860 yards it was very frustrating and slow to go from mils to moa when trying to fire between targets quickly. That being said, i recently ditched that scope and replaced it with a WOTAC 10x mil/mil and will never look back. Glass is exceptional, the reticle is fantastic and the clicks are very audible but dont have the feel i'd like to have. I was planning on shooting with it for first time yesterday but Hermine thought differently. However so far it is an impressive scope for the money.

So my set up (no pics yet)
    Rem SPS-T 308
    BC Light Tactical stock
    Millet Rings
    EGW 20moa base
    WOTAC 10X mil/mil scope\
    harris bipod
    magazine extension

Now for my AR , it only has the moa/mil scope now
    frown.gif

I vote any of these poor souls who have a Falcon on their rifle. Out of sheer pity.