• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Do you want to try a Mil / Mil Scope ?

Re: Do you want to try a Mil / Mil Scope ?

One of these poor souls with a Falcon may just be getting another with different adjustments!

You are doing a good (or possibly bad) thing for someone Lowlight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote any of these poor souls who have a Falcon on their rifle. Out of sheer pity. </div></div>

I'm that guy........a damn shame

Kirk R

LL, even if you don't need it back, what about making it a loaner? Keep it two months for testing and then send to next person?

Just give the first one away but make the second one in Oct a loaner?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your a good dude, Frank... </div></div>

Dont tell him that......you know how difficult he is to work for now?????.....

lol

Wow, This is really awsome Frank.

My vote goes for my buddy Howard who is a regular over on Calguns, after 3 divorces and the child support he pays out, he is stuck with NcStar scopes on his rifles. I let him shoot my Savage with my USO on top and he absolutely loves it. If he were to get the scope he would actually have a good piece of glass and we would be able to practice coordinated fire/ calling adjustments for each other. He's a former grunt as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QikEnuF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mil/mil would be a lot better than the Mildot reticle/MOA adjustment I have to deal with, but I don't think you could get a scope to me quickly. Oh yeah, and one of the M14s out here was for some reason issued out with a Tasco piece of shit, which we broke the other day. Wish the Army/Navy would get their shit together....

38111_1503087227931_1556757849_2823588_8131987_n.jpg
</div></div>

Someone in harms way.......do we really need to go any further?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QikEnuF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mil/mil would be a lot better than the Mildot reticle/MOA adjustment I have to deal with, but I don't think you could get a scope to me quickly. Oh yeah, and one of the M14s out here was for some reason issued out with a Tasco piece of shit, which we broke the other day. Wish the Army/Navy would get their shit together....

38111_1503087227931_1556757849_2823588_8131987_n.jpg
</div></div>

Someone in harms way.......do we really need to go any further? </div></div>

+1, My thought exactly, these folks are really in need and you know they will be "using" it.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
QikEnuF said:
Mil/mil would be a lot better than the Mildot reticle/MOA adjustment I have to deal with, but I don't think you could get a scope to me quickly. Oh yeah, and one of the M14s out here was for some reason issued out with a Tasco piece of shit, which we broke the other day. Wish the Army/Navy would get their shit together....

Someone in harms way.......do we really need to go any further?</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamescaan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
QikEnuF said:
Mil/mil would be a lot better than the Mildot reticle/MOA adjustment I have to deal with, but I don't think you could get a scope to me quickly. Oh yeah, and one of the M14s out here was for some reason issued out with a Tasco piece of shit, which we broke the other day. Wish the Army/Navy would get their shit together....

+1 </div></div>
+2

LowLight, I'd be interested in tryin out a Mil/Mil scope, I guess. After many long debates with LR shooter buddies I have always been the guy to say it's all hype and don't get all the fuss. I'm not saying I dont see how it would be benificial, cause I do, I'm just sayin I'm one of those guys that thinks "you dont change whats not broke", and by not broke I mean I'm used to it and have won matches with it. I'm a 13 year Army guy that has been trained on the Mil/MOA and have used it so long that it's second nature for me. the few times I've looked at em for a new scope purchase I always back out last sec and buy what I know, or comfort zone. If one landed in my lap I by all means would give her a rip and give honest feedback. I just havent been able to take a leap of faith with my few pennies. Anywho, here is the rig I'd try it out on.

finished.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
+4

Being new to long range shooting I would love to use a quality mil/mil scope, allowing me to develop my shooting skills better than on an el'cheapo scope.

I am running a stag arms model 6 super varminter upper with a rock river arms lar-15 lower, the upper is guaranteed 1/2 moa accuracy.

I am currently stuck with a tasco target varmint mil/moa scope from academy! It is a shame to watch an accurate shooter suffer due to the glass.

I got laid off 3 weeks ago, and now back in school, money is very tight. I wanted a mil/mil scope to upgrade too and purchased a falcon menace. My rifle may be a little bit better off but not much
frown.gif

PICS:
IMG_1547.jpg

2010-08-24T22-24-58.jpg

Lowlight,

Don't need one for myself...I already have an NF mil/mil with another on the way. Just wanted to add that this is a very kind gesture and I hope the lucky recipient appreciates your generosity.

Just out of curiosity, is there some way to create a contribution fund to buy some decent glass for any of our lads in harm's way that might be in need?

LL,This is a really generous offer,I'm set already.Would love to see it go to someone who really needs it.

Sending it do a deployed person is doable, but at the same time is it considered sending a mil dot overseas ?

And how long will it take to get there, and will they still be deployed ?

I understand the reasoning, and I will have others down the road, I just want to be sure it's gonna work out for everyone.

I think... you'd have to check to be certain... that to an APO/FPO is cool on a Mildot... as for will they still be deployed... if they're in the 'stan, and just got there, they'll be there a year... or to someone in the states that's trainig up right now, like deployment orders are already in

I'd like it to go to my twin, he works hard to buy stuff for his rifles, but he never had enough to get what he wants. He wants to get into long range shooting, but he just doesn't have the money to do so. He is saving for the rifle he wants, but after he buys the rifle, he won't be able to get a scope for a while... I know what it's like to have a rifle with no scope and all you can do is look at it. He'd be one happy camper if he wouldn't have to worry about saving for a scope...

Thanks

Shay

Lowlight

If you are looking for someone that is deserving of this scope then please consider Glenn Aycock. His Hide name is J.S.T. Glenn.

Glenn has a farm that he has fixed up to serve as a rifle range. John Boyette runs tactical matches there from time to time. In between matches Glenn lets shooters from all over use the farm to brush up on their skills. He helps them out and never charges a penny.

The last couple of years have an economic challenge for Glenn. His business of selling tools succumbed to the economy. I have heard him mention that he would like a Mil Mil scope but he is not in a position to afford one at this time.

This is the only picture I have of Glenn’s rifle. It is the one on the left by the Red Bull. On the right is Mrs. Deadly
smile.gif
. It is a Remington 700 in a Bell & Carlson stock. The scope is a fixed 16x IOR mildot with MOA knobs.

nexl48.jpg

In summary, Glenn is a selfless individual that gives back to the shooting community every chance he gets. Thank you.

I would like to try mil/mil on my Savage 12FV in .223 to shoot out to 1,000 yards or more. Farthest my wal-mart CenterPoint 4-16x will adjust is about 900 yards. The mil/mil would also adjust faster so I could shoot faster.

Thanks, and here is a pic.

(650 yard target)
4096.jpg

could really use one for my savage in 308,since i spent all of my fund on my newest build which is a 6.5 grendel,which also needs a scope with glass capable of getting me to a 1,000yards and since im all taped out for the next couple of months.

the only scope i have is a swift 8-32 that i can not use over 16 power because its all fuzzy and dose not track well at all
2n6evf9.jpg

Barrel should arrive in a week or so.(A 24in saber defence heavy target),then only need a good scope preferably in mil/mil to top her off

been shooting all my life, but have just begain to see the joys of long range, i cant complain about why i dont have the cash to drop on a nice mil/mil, because i just got married and purchased a house. i wouldnt give up either for a scope, so i'm just gonna throw my hat in the pot for a chance at one.

my rifle is a Sendero SF II my wife bought me, with a fresh coat of paint.
gun002.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Humungus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lowlight

If you are looking for someone that is deserving of this scope then please consider Glenn Aycock. His Hide name is J.S.T. Glenn.

Glenn has a farm that he has fixed up to serve as a rifle range. John Boyette runs tactical matches there from time to time. In between matches Glenn lets shooters from all over use the farm to brush up on their skills. He helps them out and never charges a penny.

The last couple of years have an economic challenge for Glenn. His business of selling tools succumbed to the economy. I have heard him mention that he would like a Mil Mil scope but he is not in a position to afford one at this time.

This is the only picture I have of Glenn’s rifle. It is the one on the left by the Red Bull. On the right is Mrs. Deadly
smile.gif
. It is a Remington 700 in a Bell & Carlson stock. The scope is a fixed 16x IOR mildot with MOA knobs.

nexl48.jpg

In summary, Glenn is a selfless individual that gives back to the shooting community every chance he gets. Thank you. </div></div>

I completely agree and back everything Mike has posted. My first match was shot with a rifle he loaned me and bullets he loaded. He is always helpful, insightful and a great shooting coach. He never asked for anything in return. He has my vote! Thanks

I have a pre-64 Winchester in 30-06 that was manufactured in 1950. I'll post a picture later (my wife has our <span style="font-style: italic">only</span> camera at work). I have only 1 other scope and it would be grossly out of place on this '06. I <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">need</span></span> another scope...<span style="text-decoration: underline">desperately</span>! Please, pretty please?

I’ll get on my knees and beg, I'll mow your yard/pasture, wash your car, take out your garbage...enter into a 7-year period of indentured servitude...<span style="font-weight: bold">gladly</span>! I’m 50, a white male, unemployed, and I owe the government $172,000.00 in student loans for God’s sake; I don’t fill <span style="font-style: italic">ANY</span> quotas!

I’m a desperate man I tell ya, DESPERATE!

All the recommendations on sending it to someone deployed made me change my want for having one. As of right now a close friend of mine, Joe, just deployed to Afghanistan and is looking forward to spending the next year there. I was toying with the idea of building a rifle. He spent the last 2 years piecing together an AR-10. I was considering either finishing it for him, or putting together a decent boltgun. Most of the assembling will be done by myself, smith work done where needed, and I would give the rifle some sort of finish to welcome him home. But it will be more of a group effort in getting all the parts. I even considered asking LL if he wouldnt mind autographing the stock. As of know he is the most prominent sniper, current or prior, that I am familiar with.

So I withdraw my request for me to get the scope, and request that I use it to start the project. Also, since he is Army, I considered doing an M24-like build.

Although no one ASK....I will giive my opinion.

While a shit ton of guys would <span style="color: #FF0000">Like</span> to try a new scope,

Only QikEnuF has a legit<span style="color: #FF0000"> NEED</span>for a scope.

And while I am out of line here,I think Withdrawing the request unless you have a deeper need might be in order.

But That is just Me.

I don't know the legalities of sending one overseas. It might be prohibative.

But, if its OK, the post office has flat rate boxes to APOs now.

I'd definitely be interested in taking a first hand look through a mil/mil scope. I'm currently using an older VX3 6.5-20 with a target dot and 1/8th min clicks, but after having seen a few videos and reading about the benefits of Mil/Mil, I've been ready to convert and saving. The rifle is a Rem 700 trued/squared in 300 WM in an AICS with Rock barrel, Huber Trigger, and YHM Phantom QD. Apologize in advance for the poor quality of the pic as I've got my camera at school and had my dad take the picture at home on his phone.

IMG_0895.jpg

Wow. Generous offer. I hope it ends up going to someone that has a NEED for it.

I see that everyone is saying that this should go to someone who NEEDS a scope. Personally I think it simply should go to someone at random. Frank asked the question of who WANTS to try, not who needs but rather someone who simply wants to try a mil/mil scope ...

If it were me I would put everyone that has said they would like to try it and has followed up with saying as to why they would like to try it and put pics up like was required and then draw a name out of a hat and that person is the one that gets to try it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see that everyone is saying that this should go to someone who NEEDS a scope. Personally I think it simply should go to someone at random. Frank asked the question of who WANTS to try, not who needs but rather someone who simply wants to try a mil/mil scope ...

If it were me I would put everyone that has said they would like to try it and has followed up with saying as to why they would like to try it and put pics up like was required and then draw a name out of a hat and that person is the one that gets to try it. </div></div>

Exactly how I'd do it. Just figured I'd toss my name in that hat.

As I may have said, I have more than one scope I can offer, not right away, but I definitely have more than one.

So we'll see what it looks like tonight.

I wish I could fulfill all the "needs" but I can't, however I do want to offer at least this one up for use.

Names in a hat might be the fairest route, understanding the guys in harms way, i am just leery about shipping a scope overseas with mil dots. My luck it would be the opportunity to bring the hammer down.

I would like to try a mil/mil scope, I currently have a mil/moa scope, for the time being it fits my needs and my ability.

LL,

Randomness for the sake of “fairness” I agree with Outsy’s proposal.

Truth be told I have a rifle that I would love the opportunity to run a reasonable variable power scope.

Truth be told I do not know the ramifications of sending a scope with Mil-Dots overseas.

All those things being said and acknowledged I believe there is something to be said for the selfless act of being part of the US Military. There is also something to be said for those that step forward and help teach and expose those new shooters. At the end of the day this site is a benevolent dictatorship (you get the final call).

I believe there is something to be said for “paying it forward” to someone who will make the most of this opportunity.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sending it do a deployed person is doable, but at the same time is it considered sending a mil dot overseas ? </div></div>

Frank,

You are correct in your concerns. Even if it's going to an Army base overseas, it is still considered an "Export" and subject to all ITAR regulations (= Pain in the A$$). You don't want to be labeld as an illegal international arms trafficer, which is exactly how they would phrase it....

Cheers,

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sending it do a deployed person is doable, but at the same time is it considered sending a mil dot overseas ? </div></div>

Frank,

You are correct in your concerns. Even if it's going to an Army base overseas, it is still considered an "Export" and subject to all ITAR regulations (= Pain in the A$$). You don't want to be labeld as an illegal international arms trafficer, which is exactly how they would phrase it....

Cheers,

Bill </div></div>

Yet another unintended result of well intentioned laws.

The work around for ITAR is you can have someone in the mil send it through the supply system. I have to deal with that issue for electronics equipment - our supply guys have to ship some items to our mil customer stateside, then they have to ship via mil supply system.

It adds a layer of PIA, but it is do-able.

I recently sold a GPS unit and that went to an APO address. It surprised me that it required a customs form. I'd say given the restrictions of firearms and many optics exports, that the scope probably can't be mailed to someone. Whatever you send is considered international mail...and BTW, no pork products, porn or bulk anti-Islamic materials either. Send those to the pastor dude in Florida.

Don't get me started on the guy in Florida. I just got a call out because of him this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently sold a GPS unit and that went to an APO address. It surprised me that it required a customs form. I'd say given the restrictions of firearms and many optics exports, that the scope probably can't be mailed to someone. Whatever you send is considered international mail...and BTW, no pork products, porn or bulk anti-Islamic materials either. Send those to the pastor dude in Florida. </div></div>

I would certainly like to try a mil-mil scope. I started with this set up and now have acqurired these parts for a build and they are now at the smith's. Only thing I am missing is the scope. Not looking at a freebie, heck I would pay for the use of a loaner. mil/mil is something I havent used but would like to try before going out and purchasing one. Every scope I own are moa. Thanks for offering this up.

378nscope.jpg

223AIbuild.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sending it do a deployed person is doable, but at the same time is it considered sending a mil dot overseas ? </div></div>

Frank,

Cheers,

Bill </div></div>

You can send it via APO/AE shipping to soldiers Doesn/t violate state dept export laws because US Bases are extensions of the United States if you want more information call the Military Postal Service Agency APO/FPO Questions hotline 800-810-6098 they will be able to help out. FYI I spent 6 years overseas with 4 of those in the sandbox and everywhere else in between. I bought and shipped everything even Thales radios ITT nightvision, thermals you name it.

I would put a mil/mil scope to good use as well. I have never tried a mil/mil scope. Like the idea and like the fact that 1/10 mil adjustment is between .25 moa and .5 moa. Seems to be the perfect balance in terms of adjustments not to little not to much not to mention having it match the reticle geeze that would be nice.

jd.jpg

I love all the people in this thread that have like 5 rifles all w/ S&B MIl/Mil scope and throw up there next project for a freebie, I believe this offer is for people who would like to try out and own a Mil/ Mil scope and not add another to their massive collection.... My vote still goes to the soldier and then to myself, as I would love to switch to MIl/ MIl

I'll throw my hat in the ring.

Gear003.jpg

I started at the PGW comp with a Millett on it, and have since gone to a Menace. My wife is wanting a better scope for her rifle, as well. Not making a case, just stating a fact. Thanks for the opportunity though.

As much as I would like to have/try a mil/mil scope - all of my reasons pale in comparison to someone risking his life on a daily basis to protect my way of life. They definitely deserve the first opportunity to take advantage of this generous offer. Just saying....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can send it via APO/AE shipping to soldiers Doesn/t violate state dept export laws because US Bases are extensions of the United States if you want more information call the Military Postal Service Agency APO/FPO Questions hotline 800-810-6098 they will be able to help out. </div></div>

I recommend you check any common firearms gear web site policies (Bravo Company, Magpul, etc.). None will ship ITAR to individuals via USPS to APO addresses because it is ILLEGAL.

While we proudly support the Members of the US Military deployed around the world and believe that it is a great privilege to service their needs, we must fully comply with all United States export control laws and regulations. <span style="font-weight: bold">Under these laws and regulations a shipment for personal use to an APO/FPO that is physically located outside of the United States must be considered an Export, regardless of your military service status, rank, etc.</span>
If you have ordered a restricted product(s) to be exported to an APO/FPO one of our Customer Service Representatives will contact you within three business days (M-F) to discuss your options.
For further information regarding the applicable laws, regulations, and policies please contact:
U.S. Department of State
Directorate of Defense Trade Controls
Compliance & Registration Division
2401 E Street NW, SA-1, Room H1200
Washington, DC 20522-0112

DDTC Response Team
Tel.: (202) 663-1282
Website: http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/response_team/index.html
Email: [email protected]
Access to the official ITAR can be found here: http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar.html

I was not going to toss my name in the hat because while I really do need a decent scope (any decent scope) I did not want to keep the charity glass out of the hands of an active-duty service member overseas. Now that there is a possibility of a random draw or at least too much hassle to ship overseas I will compete.
DSCN1510.JPG

DSCN1515.JPG

I had Surgeon build me a custom .308 Scalpel last year, it took me about 18 months to save for - buying one component at a time. I currently have a terrible, antiquated Tasco 3-9 on my rifle because I can't put any money aside for decent glass. One day I will put quality, FFP, Mil Mil glass on my rifle but not this year.

LL, if you are still considering sending the scope to active-duty, deployed personnel please keep my name out of the pool. I would prefer one of my brothers use it to fight the fight.
Thanks