• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does a fluted Remington Police Rifle barrel have sub 1/2" accuracy?

68bthp

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2011
TX
I'd like to hear from you if your fluted .308 Remington Police barrel delivers this kind of accuracy.

I want to have a rifle built along the lines of a Remington 700 Police rifle with a 26" Sendero/Varmint contoured barrel with H&S stock. It is to be a 6.5 Creedmoor. In particular, I have a new .308 fluted factory Remington barrel already taken off a Remington .308 VSF rifle that I'd like to have sent to a barrel maker and duplicated exactly. The current weight of this 26" .308 fluted factory barrel is 3 1/2 lbs, and it has a typical .820" to .830" sendero/varmint/police rifle muzzle diameter.

MY QUESTION; Is a 3.5 lb fluted barrel of the Remington Varmint/Sendero contour that will be built into a 6.5 Creedmoor Police Style Rifle, heavy enough to shoot sub 1/2" cloverleaf 5 shot groups? I'm almost wondering if the flutes make it too light. (But I don't want a very heavy carry rifle) My needs are to be able to shoot a single 5 shot 3/8" cloverleaf group over one 15 minute relay.

Weight has little to do with accuracy. The quality of the barrel, machining and how well you can drive the rifle make the difference.
With that said, the Remington varmint contour has plenty of meat for the 6.5.

Weight has little to do with accuracy. The quality of the barrel, machining and how well you can drive the rifle make the difference.

I was a little concerned about harmonics/vibration and whether a 3 1/2lb 26" barrel is stable enough. Not to argue with you, I'm just going to play devil's advocate with your point and say that a quality Krieger or Bartlein barrel with a sporter contour and .710" muzzle diameter is more intended for hunting then it is for shooting groups in the 3's. I'm just trying to be sure if the .820" muzzle and the 3.5 lbs is definitely in the safe zone for what I want to do. (ie; 3/8" MOA from a single 5 shot group)

Thanks!!

Ive got a 22" #3 Broughton in 7-08 that shoots 3/8" groups when I can hold it and a 24" #4 Broughton in 7WSM that will do the same. Both smithed by APA.
Shorter tubes are stiffer but I dont think you will have issue with what you are wanting to do with a 26" tube.

This is right on, IMHO. And for what it's worth, I have a 700 LTR in .308 that shoots and cleans as good as some of my customs. But it has a 20" pipe, of course.

My latest coyote rifle will shoot 3/8 all day when the driver is on. The Krieger barrel is .700 at the muzzle and chambered in 6 Dasher. You should have no problem doing the same with the 6.5CM. Have fun.

Regards,
Paul

as to barrel harmonics/vibration...simply reload for that barrel.

If you get the quality barrel, machined by a competent smith, it will shoot well. The only issue is number of shots before heat becomes an issue...5 in 15, you're fine.

I had a Rem 700 LTR in .308 best I could get from it was .566 Althought It did do .5xx on a consistant basis with a few .6's and .7's

I have a 20" fluted 1:10 bedded in a B&C that will do 1/2 MOA. Barreled action is all stock.

I'd just get a contour that is weight you want. I personally don't care for fluted barrels but it is just that, a personal preference. Tactical rifle partner back in '04-'06 ran a #5 or #6 Sporter contour barrel on her rifle, a 260 Rem, and that rifle shot really well. I recall at least 3 different barrels on that rifle and all shot 0.5 MOA or better.