• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Does any of the Hides gunsmiths work on savages?

xd_1984

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2010
TX, DFW
I have a newer savage model 10 that I need to get timed/trued. The guns stiff bolt lift is driving me crazy. I have installed the stockade bolt lift kit and it’s just not doing it for me. I figured I would check and see if any of our sponsors could take care of this for me.

Pull your bolt back apart. Loosen the spring using the part on the left side of the assembly in this picture up to 1.5 turns. Maybe more. You will need to make sure the sleeve's hole lines up with the inside part by adjusting the little nut just right. This slows the firing pin lock time down but it helps the bolt lift. You can also polish and lube the window on the bolt body. If you dont like it tighten it back up and send it out. Quality lube on the bolt parts helps out. Click on the picture for a larger version.
630992.jpg

Last edited:
Several hundred rounds will also work wonders in addition to polishing the cocking ramp in the bolt body.

When you installed the bolt lift kit did you shorten or shim the BAS? If you didn't, you probably increased your bolt lift.

I have 500 + rounds through this rifle. I did not shorten the BAS, Didn’t know I was supposed to. How should I go about shorting the BAS, and how much?

A lathe is the most accurate way to shorten it. I've also done it carefully and slowly on a bench grinder. You need to shorten it by the amount the bolt lift kit protrudes from the cocking sleeve.

You can also put a same thickness washer under the BAS head if you don't want to shorten it.

If you don't shorten or shim, you are increasing the preload on the firing pin spring negating any gain from reducing the cocking sleeve friction.

That is why you can improve the lift by the method I mentioned without machining the BAS or making an aesthetical washer/shim. It reduces the preload by changing the distance the firing pin will travel this process reduces spring tension. Machining the BAS or cutting the appropriate thickness washer you can relieve the tension and keep the firing pin travel. I adjust all mine that are not magnums for short travel and have had no issues. I also do not use military primers. My bolts operate smoothly and I have no FTF.

Last edited:
After polishing use mobil1 grease or any syn grease on the friction points, avoid the bolt face though. Noticed a big diff when I switched over. Oh and check your action bolts are not sticking up too high and rubbing.