• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anyone have expearence with shooting .270 win at long range?

billygoatninja88

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2014
north west
I have been doing some research on what caliber I want for a custom rifle build and have been thinking of the following calibers...........

-30-06
-6.5mm creedeemor

I'm leaning towards 270 since I have read that the ballistics passed 500 meters are better than the 30-06 since match bullets have higher B.C. The reason I am going with those being able to find the easier for the time being and give me options for the future. I threw in the 6.5 because when I start reloading availability wont really be an issue but that is only if I go with a 308, I will probably have plenty of brass by then to make it and all I would have to do is re-barrel. I know people are going to say to go with a magnum but..... A. price and I already plan on it but way in the future when I have the logistical support B. I have looked into price and performance extensively and have narrowed my choice to 338 lapua mag since it out preforms most common magnum calibers with little price difference when one reloads and I'm not going bigger than that since for me anything else is over kill. I have time before I start any of this project, I'm planning on moving back to my home state of Utah in a year so I'm just doing my research for now and try to minimize wasted money on things I didn't think out well. My goal is a mile some day, that will take some practice but possible.

i think out of the calibers listed the 308. win or 6.5 creedmoor stand out. Unforunately the 30-06 and 270. win dont have match grade factory ammo if ever needed, recoil is harsher. I personally dont like the 308. win much but there is no doubt in its capabilities! Personal the 6.5 Creed will have some of the best BC bullets with the 130 ber, 139 lapua, 140 ber, 142 sierra, pushed in a short action at respectable velocities with good barrel life and very little recoil. Great factory ammo and from what i understand easy to reload. Another good option would be 260. rem for the fact ballistically its identical to the 6.5 creedmoor, but has better brass available

The 30-06 will out perform the .308 easily when reloading. Do a search for MontanaMarine, he has written post after post about the 30-06. Also, check out the Rifleman's Journal writte. by German A. Salazar, he has won competitions with the old round. I am obviously a fan of the 30-06 in everything except semi-autos. The 30-06 simply out performs the above calibers, the 6.5 in terminal ballistics, well, I think it does. It also gets within 150-200 of a .300WM when properly loaded.

Just look at some data with a 190 VLD, 208 AMAX, 210 VLD, or a 215 Hybrid and the results are impressive to say the least.

Have fun!

problem with 270 is there is very very little bullet choice. i think my friend shoots 150 Game Kings from his

i shoot an AI in 308. going to rechamber to 260 when i shoot out the barrel. i reload. always have always will

All that makes sense and if I were to re-barrel I would have the same trigger, glass, stock so it will feel the same as the 308 and that way I can really work on marksmanship with the 308

Really depends on your goal for the rifle. If you want to punch paper or ring steel at 1000Y then the 6.5 or similar will do this with less powder and less recoil. If you intend to harvest animals, then outside of trajectory you should focus on retained energy at your max distance. I always use 1500 ft/lbs for elk and 1000 ft/lbs as a baseline for my loads.

So a good example is the 260 vs 300WM. They share similar trajectory to 1000Y, but the 300WM will have better terminal ballistics at the business end of the flight path.

Mainly steel but if I had to take care of some two leged targets I could. I'm not a fan of rifle hunting(I hunt with a muzzle loader and if I did hunt with a rifle it would be a special hunt and probably load use my mosin since the ballistics are close to 30-06 anyways) so the energy at down range isn't as important.

Thanks I might go with 308 than switch to 6.5 because its easier to get good factory ammo but by then I will probably have stuff to reload so I might as well go for the 6.5 right of the bat.

Mainly steel but if I had to take care of some two leged targets I could. I'm not a fan of rifle hunting(I hunt with a muzzle loader and if I did hunt with a rifle it would be a special hunt and probably load use my mosin since the ballistics are close to 30-06 anyways) so the energy at down range isn't as important.

Get the 30-06.

More terminal, if you know what I mean...

Thanks I might go with 308 than switch to 6.5 because its easier to get good factory ammo but by then I will probably have stuff to reload so I might as well go for the 6.5 right of the bat.
Currently, 6.5 hornady ammo is readily available and inexpensive.

Oh so you mean to tell me that there is no threat of some stupid gun restriction and its not flying off the shelves as if it had wings?

I found this article earlier about the .270. 270 Win For Long Range Shooting
Hmmmmm..... Vary interesting I was kind of the thinking along the same lines of that guy. According to tibarasarusrex on YouTube a 7mm mag has more energy past 1300 yards than a 300wm comparable loading because it will maintain more velocity with is higher BC. So would that be the same with 270 (match bullet) vs 30-06 vs 280 or 308 vs 6.5 greed vs 260?

BillyGoat, indicated by the way you keep Hmmmming and wondering and questioning and what-ifing, I'd say get a .308. Yes it's not going to be the ballistic wonder round that some of the others are but it will be much easier to purchase for, load for, learn from and advance with than any other round. Yes you can shoot a long way with it. Yes it will be easier to get or make accurate loads with. Yes it will have sufficient terminal ballistics for any thing you need it for.

Get a 308. Match ammo is readily available. It will do anything you need it to do. Its cheap to shoot. Brass and match bullets are easy to find. The 100 fps more youd get out of a 30-06 isnt worth the 5lb more of recoil. Even more with heavier bullets. Youll NEVER see that 100 fps "performance" in the field. In actual real world shooting conditions. Stop looking at and studying ballistics programs and start shooting.

I vote for the .270win. .5 inch groups at 100 yards with my howa 1500.

accuracy is everything

Go online and check out Matrix Bullets! They make match grade 270 VLD's with high BC's for long range applications.

Nosler also makes a high BC 270 bullet. Accubond long range.

I vote for the .270win. .5 inch groups at 100 yards with my howa 1500.

accuracy is everything

because none of the other cartridges are capable of this very average feat??

i vote 6.5cm then .308...either have factory ammo available

Wow lots have been saying 308/6.5 I might just go with that and then a 300wm at make it a package. I know I said 338 but I was thinking and realized that I would have to go with a whole new setup as far as reloading and didn't factor that cost. With a 300wm all I would really "need" is a case holder and readjust the die for the longer case if I went with 308.

I found the rifle I want to clone (ish)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USMC xm-3

It just tickles me fancy! It is exactly what I want.
98944e25f6919ac42719b78dc98b5d20.jpg

171f95bea2313ada7d87b0edc8d56801.jpg

e0fb6d38e0c283058f6d9de4f4f4fc27.jpg

I like the 270 as well. shoots flat. Hits hard. is a proven game taker. plenty accurate. readily available ammo.

Oh so you mean to tell me that there is no threat of some stupid gun restriction and its not flying off the shelves as if it had wings?

Always a possibility, but I'm thinking 308 would fly off the shelf faster. More of a mainstream cartridge, IMO.

It's only hoarding until you need it. Then it's "being prepared". :)

Oh that rifle I posted will be in 308 and probably stay that way. Supposedly the actual USMC xm3 will do 1000 yards and it has 18.5 inch barrel.

The thing people have to remember the OP is looking mainly for a target rifle. The 6.5 creed will have the least amount of recoil, with a very large range of High BC bullets, cheaper to reload then some of the others listed and tends to be very accurate. The 6.5 loaded properly will still carry enough energy to kill elk or moose within reasonable range with a well placed shot. With a rifle he is comfortable shooting, with low recoil that well placed shot is a little easier to make.

Second would be 308. win as it is similar to what i just said compared to the other two.

If you looking for a multipurpose or main hunting rifle without extended range then i love the 270. win and still use mine for plenty of hunting situations. But dont think i would build up one for a main target rifle doubled down as a long range hunting rifle as the good BC bullets aren't really there and for target its more expensive to shoot with more recoil!

Bingo I'm looking for compact bolt gun cambered in an inexpensive and easy to find and easy to reload round that is accurate to 1000 yards. Now if I had to hunt with it I could but no way at 1000 I am pretty sure a 308 could harvest an elk with the right load in the right spot.

All this talk about the .270 win not being able to make it to extended range, has any body tried? I shot a .30-30 300 yards into a 5 inch group, it's not supposed to do that either. With open sights.

I'm still a novice past 200 yards. But have been shooting for along time. Muzzleloader at 200 is not a problem. Has anybody tried it is all I'm asking.

As for the b.c. the numbers are very high. The velocity is good. I would like to see a target that somebody shot at 800 with a 135gr bthp. Not arguing with your experience. I also respect your knowledge and your equipment. It's been my experience that anything can be accurate.

Billy,

Before you make any decision I suggest you do your homework thoroughly. Starting with what bullets have higher ballistic coefficients for their weight and what velocities they can be driven out of various cartridges. The #1 obstacle to connecting at distance is wind - specifically wind drift of the bullet. With a little research you'll discover that 308 has lackluster numbers in this department.

Hint...Look at practically any cartridge in 6.5 or 7mm using heavier bullets. Also consider things like recoil, cost and barrel wear.

Start reloading.

Last edited:
You might also consider the .280 Rem. It can outperform the '06 at distance using the same case capacity and action dimensions, there's is a better selection of bullets (in the 7mm diameter), and the chambering has garnered some success as an LR target choice. Performance superior to the .30-'06 should be available with a lesser recoil overhead. Factory ammo can be harder to find, but best performance would come from handloading anyway.

Greg

Again all good points. I found a comparison of .30 vs 7mm and well......I think the picture kind of speaks for itself.
ec317ce4b79bc64a1d2cdd27b80bed25.jpg

I don't remember his name but he said that the 7x57 Mauser does much better than most .30. I'm beginning to think he is right. And yes I plan to reload. I have a mosin that I plan to work up some ammo and scope and whatnot. So by the time I get this project done ammo availability won't really be an issue.

With the calibers you listed I would go with .308 lots options. other than that I would go .260. With any custom rifle I would reload. I don't rely on any factory ammo to be consistent. There is plenty of info on here to help you make a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably been covered 100000000000000000 times but is there really a big difference between .260 and 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5x47 lapua and the others?

I'm a rank amateur here. From what I've read, there is little performance difference between the various 6.5 chamberings. You're more likely to find 6.5 cm factory ammo on a shelf for purchase. The 6.5x55 basically requires a long action and will likely be what I rebarrel my .270 with once it's shot out. Of course I already have a .308 also.

Is that because of the lapua brass? If so couldn't you just make creedmoor out of lapua 308 brass?

Partly...6.5x47L brass is rated to 63,200 approx psi. There is more brass at the web and heel of the case because of the small primer pocket which gives extra brass life. Also 6.5x47L can be pushed hard and still be resilient compared to the other cases.

I shoot 6x47L and have been for 7 years now. On my 4th and 5th barrels and still using the same cases I bought way back then. Lost count how many times they've been reloaded.

Personally I wouldn't be interested in starting out with 308 Lapua brass and necking down to 6.5 Creed. I'd rather fire it 8-10 times, replace it and be happy.

How about the .277 140 gr hornady sst with a bc of .495? Just asking.

accuracy is everything

because none of the other cartridges are capable of this very average feat??

i vote 6.5cm then .308...either have factory ammo available

Is this only because of the bullet offerings? Has anybody tried? Is it hard to do?

accuracy is everything