• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anyone have experience with IBI prefit barrels?

Who what huh

They're a new Canadian barrel manufacturer.

I personally haven't had experience with them, but from two different gunsmiths and another individual I've heard that they have a tendency to walk as they heat up, indicating improper stress relief practices.

Maybe they've improved their processes lately, I don't know. Take that for what it's worth.

They're a new Canadian barrel manufacturer.

I personally haven't had experience with them, but from two different gunsmiths and another individual I've heard that they have a tendency to walk as they heat up, indicating improper stress relief practices.

Maybe they've improved their processes lately, I don't know. Take that for what it's worth.
for the same price as their blanks you could get a cut rifled blank from a known entity

and for the same price as their prefits you could get one from Keystone or PVA or LRI etc in more than just 308 and 6.5 creed

^^^THIS^^^^ why take a chance with a foreign manufacturer for something that can be had from a know good source state side? The list of savage and remington prefits makers is pretty long already, and most will set you up with just about any chamber you want.

They are popular up here in Canada due to the complete asshattery that is importing barrels from the USA for us folks. Much like our southern neighbours we also like to support our local industries. :D

Ultimatum Precision sells their deadline with an IBI prefit as well (they just got picked up as the action for the JP Rifles MR-19) so I would imagine they (Ultimatum) have a high opinion of them.

I believe @MDT_Josh is running one so perhaps he can fill you in on his experience.

They are popular up here in Canada due to the complete asshattery that is importing barrels from the USA for us folks. Much like our southern neighbours we also like to support our local industries. :D

Ultimatum Precision sells their deadline with an IBI prefit as well (they just got picked up as the action for the JP Rifles MR-19) so I would imagine they (Ultimatum) have a high opinion of them.

I believe @MDT_Josh is running one so perhaps he can fill you in on his experience.

Thanks for the tag in on this one and yes, I have been running an IBI since mid last year. I now have 2, one in 6.5CM and one in 6mm Dasher, both of which perform very well. With minimal load development, I am able to get 0.375"-0.5" groups out of both of them with excellent speeds! I am able to run about 1-2 gr less per case and get the same speeds as others with the exact same caliber, bullet, etc.

I have yet to burn one out (although I believe that my 6mm barrel will go first mid summer) so I cannot properly comment on end of life expectancy, however, the processes they use for making these barrels are no different than most button rifled, SS barrels. Additionally, the walking issues happened very early on, as @kthomas pointed out, and have been resolved through further heat treating testing and cnc honing of the bore.

I have had both of these barrels out to over 1300 yards on long strings of fire, and the POI shift is not enough for me to notice at standard loading procedures :) If you have questions though, let me know.

Thanks for the tag in on this one and yes, I have been running an IBI since mid last year. I now have 2, one in 6.5CM and one in 6mm Dasher, both of which perform very well. With minimal load development, I am able to get 0.375"-0.5" groups out of both of them with excellent speeds! I am able to run about 1-2 gr less per case and get the same speeds as others with the exact same caliber, bullet, etc.

I have yet to burn one out (although I believe that my 6mm barrel will go first mid summer) so I cannot properly comment on end of life expectancy, however, the processes they use for making these barrels are no different than most button rifled, SS barrels. Additionally, the walking issues happened very early on, as @kthomas pointed out, and have been resolved through further heat treating testing and cnc honing of the bore.

I have had both of these barrels out to over 1300 yards on long strings of fire, and the POI shift is not enough for me to notice at standard loading procedures :) If you have questions though, let me know.
Getting this in 6bra. Heard they are great!

Reactions: MDT_Josh
I have a 1/7 for my .223, mounted on an Ultimatum Deadline action. I am happy with it and will be ordering one in 6.5x47.

Reactions: Skullboy
Well their listed prices are in CDN pesos. So it's much cheaper after conversion.

I was going to say the same. Unless they're advertising in US prices, the blanks they sell for $340 CAN are actually $254 US.

I saw on instagram that @coldboremiracle is using IBI barrels, which I believe were spun up by @bohem. Curious to hear what they think about them.

Everyone in my circles has had issues with them (including two gunsmiths and a DnD rifle supplier for the Canadian Forces), but I also hear positive things here and there online about them. I haven't really seen any independent reviews or qualitative evidence that IBI has turned the corner and is reliably turning out quality barrels.

There's usually a reason why some products are cheaper - staff size, staff experience & training, manufacturing machines and processes, raw material quality, QA/QC controls/procedures/testing, etc. There's always the law of diminishing returns, but I can't believe that they produce the same quality of barrels to the same consistency as Krieger or Bartlein but at a much lower price. Especially in a place like Canada where things are generally a lot more costly to produce (cost of material, taxes, etc).

I'll be watching IBI to see how they progress.

I saw on instagram that @coldboremiracle is using IBI barrels, which I believe were spun up by @bohem. Curious to hear what they think about them.

Everyone in my circles has had issues with them (including two gunsmiths and a DnD rifle supplier for the Canadian Forces), but I also hear positive things here and there online about them. I haven't really seen any independent reviews or qualitative evidence that IBI has turned the corner and is reliably turning out quality barrels.

There's usually a reason why some products are cheaper - staff size, staff experience & training, manufacturing machines and processes, raw material quality, QA/QC controls/procedures/testing, etc. There's always the law of diminishing returns, but I can't believe that they produce the same quality of barrels to the same consistency as Krieger or Bartlein but at a much lower price. Especially in a place like Canada where things are generally a lot more costly to produce (cost of material, taxes, etc).

I'll be watching IBI to see how they progress.

Ive got an 8tw 6.5 barrel from them, and so far (200 or so rounds) it has been outstanding. Very accurate, haven't cleaned it yet, but I'll keep posting about how it goes.

Reactions: Skullboy
The one on my Nuke seem to have been doing admirably so far. These shots were with a random swag load with 140 ELD-M loaded in virgin Alpha Munitions brass and RL16. The barrel was decently warm for a couple of those groups and I'm far from the greatest shooter out there. Let it cool down for the 300m. Biggest complaint so far is that the barrel seems to get marked up easily. Also had some surface rust show up, which is a first for me in dry ass Alberta. Haven't had that issue with my other firearms. First picture is visual representation of the rifle from a separate range session. For the record, the pictured factory loads of Hornady 140 grain ELD-M also shot very well.

ZtQmZRkh.jpg

Go5embKh.jpg

On9wwFnh.jpg

2kBJFPoh.jpg

hs1dI5sh.jpg

There are more and more shooters using ibi barrels who are getting great results.

They are doing very well with Buck Holly and Kevin Dittoe in PRS and a few other competitors as well. Also ibi barrels are doing very well in Scandinavia in the Viking Rifle Series, and had a good showing at the 2019 Snipers' Hide Cup.

If people are looking for a longer barrel, ibi can now do 32" barrels, and in the future will be able to do 40" plus barrels. ;)

If you have an issue with your ibi barrel, please get in touch with them and let them know. Cheers!!

Bump, there are any other inputs on these barrels?

Bump, there are any other inputs on these barrels?
I used a Savage prefit on an Origin action 223 cal and best 5 shot group to date was under .2 , will shoot sub 1/2 min all day long. I will be getting another one in 6.5 creedmoor. Brownells carries a few calibers. Good luck!

Reactions: aku
36E85DE7-0275-4310-A261-A30C68B21680.jpeg
I personally have a IBI prefit on a Stiller TAC30 action and it’s a tac driver. The target is from a 600 yd KD range and it measures 2.37in.

Attachments

• 58E9F3F8-562C-4E62-89BE-9736F180F64B.jpeg
    58E9F3F8-562C-4E62-89BE-9736F180F64B.jpeg
    625.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 31E313D7-0A98-46A2-8CA6-2B1AF8B81CD7.jpeg
    31E313D7-0A98-46A2-8CA6-2B1AF8B81CD7.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 91
Last edited: