• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anyone here own the FN M249S?

darkfader

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 26, 2020
    West Virginia
    I'm just curious if anyone here owns one, or has owned one. I've been lusting over this thing for a few months now and held off on any big purchases for a while and would love to add it to the collection, but apprehensive just due to the large outlay of cash.

Any issues with these things, or did anyone have regrets purchasing one?

I guess I just need you guys to tell me it's ok to drop 10k on something that I don't need and will not get used very much.

I'm just curious if anyone here owns one, or has owned one. I've been lusting over this thing for a few months now and held off on any big purchases for a while and would love to add it to the collection, but apprehensive just due to the large outlay of cash.

I guess I just need you guys to tell me it's ok to drop 10k on something that I don't need and will not get used very much.

What's the attraction to this for you? At the end of the day you're still shooting a Semi Auto 5.56?

What's the attraction to this for you? At the end of the day you're still shooting a Semi Auto 5.56?
    I don't know if I can even explain it. I built a Mk18 clone, I built the Mk12 Mod 1 clone, I built M16A1 and A4 clones, I built the Gordy Carbine clone, and several sidearms that were used by US forces also reside in the safe. US mil arms just really float my boat. I just think the thing looks badass and honestly, I already know it's not a wise way to use that amount of money. When I look back at all the AR's I've done, there's way more than 10K there. This is why I've struggled with the decision.

I don't know if I can even explain it. I built a Mk18 clone, I built the Mk12 Mod 1 clone, I built M16A1 and A4 clones, I built the Gordy Carbine clone, and several sidearms that were used by US forces also reside in the safe. US mil arms just really float my boat. I just think the thing looks badass and honestly, I already know it's not a wise way to use that amount of money. When I look back at all the AR's I've done, there's way more than 10K there. This is why I've struggled with the decision.
    I’ve shot the semi version. It’s fun but the trigger is terrible. It’s a full auto trigger being used in semi. It sucks. Buy an fightlite upper and fill your belt fed needs with that

(ETA: ^answered my post before I could post it)

Have you ever shot one? (semi or FA)

I don't know if the semi is the same as the FA version, but my only thought the first time I shot one was "I can't believe how awful this trigger is." (An odd thought at that moment, but it reminded me of the Tracer Disc guns I had as a kid)

My point being, I'd hate to spend $10k on a semi auto that wasn't enjoyable to shoot.

(ETA: ^answered my post before I could post it)

Have you ever shot one? (semi or FA)

I don't know if the semi is the same as the FA version, but my only thought the first time I shot one was "I can't believe how awful this trigger is." (An odd thought at that moment, but it reminded me of the Tracer Disc guns I had as a kid)

My point being, I'd hate to spend $10k on a semi auto that wasn't enjoyable to shoot.
    If the fightlite uppers worked with a binary trigger that would be as close to full auto as you could get

Ahhh the good ole m249 jammomatic.... Biggest pos belt fed ever fielded in the last 100 years...
    I’ve found that the typical M249s fielded for most units are just simply worn the fuck out/improper cannibalized for parts.

I remember absolutely hating the M249s we had in the Marine Corps in the early 00’s but I can tell you every 249 I’ve had in SOF has ran like a raped ape. In the end proper service and maintenance matters a lot.

I’ve found that the typical M249s fielded for most units are just simply worn the fuck out/improper cannibalized for parts.

I remember absolutely hating the M249s we had in the Marine Corps in the early 00’s but I can tell you every 249 I’ve had in SOF has ran like a raped ape. In the end proper service and maintenance matters a lot.

I mean you only know what you know haha... I remember a night patrol with like 0 illum and our 249 guy ate it in a wadi....

In the pitch dark quiet between the muffled f words you could hear nothing but that 249 self destructing in the dark 🤣🤣🤣.... He ended up having carrying it back in like 5 main parts wrapped together in the sling lol I forget what all broke but it was hilarious to witness that clown show

• Haha
    Reactions: Doc68
    If the fightlite uppers worked with a binary trigger that would be as close to full auto as you could get
    For the sake of clarity, I was talking about the 249, not the other.

As far as semi auto clones go.... I wouldn't mind owning a BAR. But again, not at what they go for.

I'd also like a Browning 1919, but just so I could take it hunting. You know, set it up on a tripod, somewhere on state land where I'm likely to see a bunch of other hunters. Just the looks on their faces.... :D

Last edited:
    the range i was helping out got a 249 (full auto) in for play/testing. wow what a blast to shoot! month or two later a guy brought one in and offered to let me shoot it. one friggin shot at a time. i'm like, where's the full auto switch? he says no, this is the semi-only version. i tried to hide my extreme disappointment but prob didn't do a great job...

I get that. I was interested in one as well, but I can't afford one then I watched several reviews from Garand thumb, and the military arms channel. The issue for me was that converting it to a closed bolt it still requires the same amount of trigger pull as a machine gun version. So to fire all the way in but to reset being semi-automatic it's all the way out. Look up the review garand thumb did he liked it overall, but him and his buddy squeezing the trigger as fast as humanly possible yielded a super low fire rate due to the all-the-way-out reset. I think that's what killed it for me. If it had a normal trigger in it so you could at least have some fun with it I would be all over it or if they came out with a binary trigger option. Yet I do believe it will eventually be a collector's item. That was the main reason I bought my M4 military collectors from them. The price of clone m4 colt shit is insane, and personally, I believe FN has better quality. Then again the army shit canned colt and FN is the m4 supplier now. So I figured if I ever decided to sell one day I might make a profit. Emphasis on the if.

Reactions: darkfader
    the range i was helping out got a 249 (full auto) in for play/testing. wow what a blast to shoot! month or two later a guy brought one in and offered to let me shoot it. one friggin shot at a time. i'm like, where's the full auto switch? he says no, this is the semi-only version. i tried to hide my extreme disappointment but prob didn't do a great job...
    I agree and the trigger is horrible, especially when it comes to trying to belt dump it.

I only own one FN, the FNX Tac-45, which I like. It works fine, but it’s just a polymer pistol. Honestly can’t even remember the last time I took it out and fired it. I guess I’m slowly coming back to my senses and probably won’t get the 249.

I’m bored and want something new but nothing out there is really speaking to me.

Reactions: jpop8807
    I only own one FN, the FNX Tac-45, which I like. It works fine, but it’s just a polymer pistol. Honestly can’t even remember the last time I took it out and fired it. I guess I’m slowly coming back to my senses and probably won’t get the 249.

I’m bored and want something new but nothing out there is really speaking to me.
    I mean if you have the money there's nothing wrong with it. They said for what it is minus the trigger it's a great gun. Just really expensive for what you're paying for. They said if you want a good machine gun replica look into the RPK's closed bolt design so you can pull the trigger to your hearts content and I think there are binary kits for it. The 249 is still awesome will definitely turn heads, you will probably be a collectors item one day though. If you have the money to blow I say go for it just know what you're getting into or see if you can find a range with one to rent to see if you like it.

I mean if you have the money there's nothing wrong with it. They said for what it is minus the trigger it's a great gun. Just really expensive for what you're paying for. They said if you want a good machine gun replica look into the RPK's closed bolt design so you can pull the trigger to your hearts content and I think there are binary kits for it. The 249 is still awesome will definitely turn heads, you will probably be a collectors item one day though. If you have the money to blow I say go for it just know what you're getting into or see if you can find a range with one to rent to see if you like it.
    That’s an interesting thought. I do have a binary AK trigger and there are ROK or RPD parts kits out there…….interesting.

That’s an interesting thought. I do have a binary AK trigger and there are ROK or RPD parts kits out there…….interesting.
    Shit dude thats what I was thinking once I got my money right. I think PSA is coming out with a rpk if they don't have it yet. So far from the reviews and stuff I've read their ak based stuff is rather good, and a decent price compared to some of the imports coming in from atlantic and stuff. Plus the customer service when I ordered some part from a sale they had was great. I think I'd go that route and throw a binary in the 40 rnd mag or a drum and just have fun with it.

I sure do. When I got one when they first came out. It it had a nice trigger and easy to cock. I sent it in for the MANDATORY RECALL. It came back with an absolutely horrible trigger and was almost impossible to cock. Biggest mistake I've ever made. I would advise anyone thinking about a new one to save their money.

Last edited:
    With a gun like that, the hookers and blow you can get for free
    The semi auto version still requires you to pay.

The full auto one might get you a hummer or a handy. The SAW isn’t that impressive in real life.

Don’t think I can ever look back and say “Damn, that thing is fucking cool”.

So what you're saying is.......You need a Mk12 Mod 0 clone.

I have an "FN" problem...so I have one, but it's purely for the collection. I haven't shot it. FN has a reputation for short lived products and those tend to go up in value over time, or prior to presidential elections. When the first batch dried up many were selling for $15k-$20k.

If you like it, pull the trigger. I don't think you'll have a problem moving it in the future.

Reactions: 2gunslefty

I have one since sept now and am loving it.bought a binary receiver from ordance defense, runs 100% ( receiver was only 600$) and I picked up a fde colored saw with sliding stock from a local gun store who sold it under the 10k mark ( cash price was 8900$) that was with sales tax. People keep saying why would you do buy one. If you can afford it and want one one why not.

It’s the same people buying knock off mp5’s when you can get a hk mp5
    For 3200$ and it’s not a PTR, or century ,etc. it’s a lot of fun the fn. If you want one and you can afford it I would say go for it.
    Why does everyone buy ar’s there semi? But people buy them. I love semi ar’s , My I just don’t buy psa, Anderson, any of the new bushmasters. Daniel Defense. Wilson, Sig makes a decent ar my knock around ar is a older sig 516. You get what you pay for. The Fn saw is not something you need but it’s 10000% fun to have. I would love to find a old school pig gun m-60 in semi. I say go for it and as far as problems zero. You go through ammo, but they sell pre belted, pre boxed cases. We have a house up north on a weekend min.6-10 boxes.
    Hope you get one

Shit dude thats what I was thinking once I got my money right. I think PSA is coming out with a rpk if they don't have it yet. So far from the reviews and stuff I've read their ak based stuff is rather good, and a decent price compared to some of the imports coming in from atlantic and stuff. Plus the customer service when I ordered some part from a sale they had was great. I think I'd go that route and throw a binary in the 40 rnd mag or a drum and just have fun with it.
    But it’s Psa, they are cheap, buy the fn, I did a mk12 clone through Charlie’s and a mk18, psa did a horrible Sabre type wanna be clone, my friend bought there “scar clone” junk my Robertson arms is a better gun.

Psa isn’t a good company

I have an "FN" problem...so I have one, but it's purely for the collection. I haven't shot it. FN has a reputation for short lived products and those tend to go up in value over time, or prior to presidential elections. When the first batch dried up many were selling for $15k-$20k.

If you like it, pull the trigger. I don't think you'll have a problem moving it in the future.
    I bough the original fn 5 it was a retro m16. With handle 18 inch barrel. I should of bought 2 and saved one. I shot mine and now they are ridicouls. But I think most people say don’t buy who can’t afford it or don’t have one, When I bought my 50ty all the advice you don’t the semi, you don’t need the mag fed, why are you buying it with nf and bors on it. I found my shorty in Cabella’s library semi. Bi-pod. 5 mags, nf-with bors, and barret hard case. Was 14.5k but I got a 500$ gift card from Cabellas.
    It’s been 10 years and I love it. So if the person posted should you buy it? If your asking about quality it’s fn top notch, buy it and who cares what people say who can’t afford it. I guarantee if those people were at your house and you busted out a m24 they would be asking to shoot it and leaving jealous.
    Merry Christmas godbless

Need to spend some of that money on a calendar.
    images.jpeg

Last edited: