• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anyone know the history of the Remington 788?

Gondy223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2006
Troy, MT.
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if anyone knows any of the back story of the Remington Model 788. From what I have gathered, they were pretty good little guns. No real reason for asking, other than I am just curious. Thanks in advance.

Re: Does anyone know the history of the Remington 788?

They were designed as a cheap, entry level bolt action hunting rifle. With a scope they cost 129$ brand new and without they were 109$ give or take depending on he dealer of course.
Plain jane birch stock (most of the time) detachable magazine, rear locking lugs, no windage adjustable cast front sight, etc.
HOWEVER they shot the lights out of everything and the cheap stamped firing pin was the lightest out there and as a result earned it the title of the production rifle with the fastes lock time. With a thicker factory reoil lug and decent barrels, they shoot. I have NEVER seen or had one that was in good shape no shoot woderfully, killed my first buck with a .308 rifle.
They were made in .30-30, .44 rem mag, .222,.223,.22-250,.243, 6mm, 7-08, 308. The two rimmed cartridges were only made the first 2 years and were discontinued. All were rifles, except the .243, and .308 were made in carbine length and the .7-08 which was only made the last two years was only made in carbine configuration.
My only complaint is the rattle of the magazine when getting through the woods when you make contact with it with a coat.
I killed two with my .30-30 this year, excellent performace and even it shoots an inch with factory core lokts and a shitty scope.
Anything else I can add?

I don't know if it would be considered a "Vintage Sniper Rifle", but they have a following:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2888423#Post2888423

Couple of additional notes:

- It was criticized by many and considered inferior to the 700 in strength because of the bolt lug location at the rear instead of the face.

- Early rifles (until mid-1970's maybe) had a two position safety selector where the rifle must be set to "fire" in order to unlock the bolt. Rifles after that were equipped with a three position safety selector where the rifle could still be on "safe" but the bolt could be unlocked to facilitate loading/unloading the chamber.

- Fret

All the bolt rifls of that era had the same type of trigger, hence the Remington 'Trigger Safety Modification' program. My 30-30 still has that trigger and I refuse to modify it.

There were two left handed models, in .308 and 6mm.

And NO- it doesn't qualify as a vintage sniper rifle. Still a great rifle, and the only problem with the rear lugs was that in the higher pressure cartridges, the unsupported bolt had the potential to begin bending, and as with all Remingtong rifles, the bolt handle was prone to coming off if someone got too rough with it.

Thanks for the info and the link. I was just curious about it, because my wife has one and I never heard of one.

She want to sell it?
grin.gif

No, sorry, she says it fits her too good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fret</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

- Early rifles (until mid-1970's maybe) had a two position safety selector where the rifle must be set to "fire" in order to unlock the bolt. Rifles after that were equipped with a three position safety selector where the rifle could still be on "safe" but the bolt could be unlocked to facilitate loading/unloading the chamber.

- Fret

</div></div>

Fret,

I believe you are mistaken about the safety on the 788 rifle. I have had a dozen or more of these rifles over the years that date from production year towards the end of the model itself and all have had the same two position safety with momentary forward for a bolt release.

Your statement is accurate with regards to early 700 triggers that had a bolt lock with the safety engaged. This design was changed by removing the locking bar from the safety lever, not adding a third position.

RAD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fret</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

- Fret

</div></div>

Fret,

I believe you are mistaken about the safety on the 788 rifle. I have had a dozen or more of these rifles over the years that date from production year towards the end of the model itself and all have had the same two position safety with momentary forward for a bolt release.

Your statement is accurate with regards to early 700 triggers that had a bolt lock with the safety engaged. This design was changed by removing the locking bar from the safety lever, not adding a third position.

RAD </div></div>

Yep, I'm flat out wrong. I should have double checked my facts. This was what I was thinking of, not a 3-position selector:

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-...-model-788.aspx

But the manual supports/implies that later production 788s could be cycled with the selector set to "S"

http://www.vintagegunleather.com/gun-manuals/pdf_R/remington_model788rifle.pdf

- Fret

See above statements regarding the safety modification progam.

Get a copy of "The Bolt Action" by Otteson. He has a good discussion on the 788. They were very accurate and had a fast lock time. They actually cost more to make than the Remington 700. I have owned several and I wish I had not traded them. The 788 trigger was not very good but it worked.

yea,been looking for a decent priced,good shape 308-LOL

For being a cheap"er" rifle they have a good following now. I bought one at auction 30-30 first year in about 95%+ condition. Sure didn't seem "cheap" nice little rifle. I would have to agree it would one heck of a deer gun for smaller framed ppl.